Su Lin (giant panda, born 2005)
Su Lin (Chinese: 苏琳) is a female giant panda born at the San Diego Zoo on August 2, 2005. Her name — one of five options in an online poll — means "a little bit of something very cute" in Chinese.
Su Lin is the third cub born to her mother Bai Yun, and the second to her sire Gao Gao. Su Lin has one half-sister, through Bai Yun, Hua Mei. Like her full siblings Mei Sheng, Zhen Zhen, Yun Zi, and Xiao Liwu, she was conceived via natural mating.
Su Lin made her public debut in early December, 2005, and was weaned in early 2007.
In March 2011, Su Lin successfully bred with a male giant panda. Shortly after, she was transferred to Hetaoping where she delivered her first cubs, a male, and a stillborn cub on July 7 in a semi-wild environment. Later she and her cub were returned to Bifengxia where they lived in a semi-wild situation at an area named New Leopard Mountain. Su Lin's son is named Yun Hui; he currently lives with two females who were also born in 2012.
- "Baby Panda Naming Ceremony". San Diego Zoo.
- "A little bit" may also be translated as 小, a homonym of 苏, which actually means "resurrect" or "revive".[clarification needed]
- "Make Us Proud, Su and Zhen!". San Diego Zoo. Sep 25, 2010.
- "Good luck to Su Lin and Zhen Zhen". Pandas Live On. Sep 25, 2010.
- "Su Lin gives birth at Hetaoping". www.giantpandazoo.com. July 7, 2011.
- "Su Lin’s cub is a boy". www.giantpandazoo.com. July 8, 2011.
- "Su Lin Gives Birth!". San Diego Zoo. July 9, 2011.