|Location||City Centre, Glasgow, United Kingdom|
|Type||Bar, Music venue, Nightclub|
|Opened||1 April 1987|
The Sub Club is a club and music venue located at 22 Jamaica Street in Glasgow, Scotland. It opened 1 April 1987 and is the longest running underground dance club in the world. The 3,500-square-foot (330 m2) basement space can legally hold up to 410 people. In 2008 it was voted the 10th best club in the world by Resident Advisor(and 5th for atmosphere) and the 30th best club in the world by DJ Mag. In 2009 the club was placed 14th best in the world by DJ Mag.
I love the Sub Club. I've had some amazing nights there over the years. Whatever genre of music it hosts, it always pulls along a great crowd of party animals who really know their stuff.
In 1999 a fire in the pub next door spread, damaging the club, which along with the accidental demolition of one of the club's walls, forced it to close until 2002.
The long standing Subculture residents are Harri and Domenic, mainstays every Saturday since 1990, with JD Twitch and JG Wilkes' Optimo (espacio) every Sunday from 1997 to 2010. Other regular nights include Monox, Numbers, Return To Mono and sensu. The club has played host to world-renowned artists such as LCD Soundsystem and Derrick May as well as many locals including:
- Sons and Daughters who played for Optimo's 12th Birthday in 2009;
- Franz Ferdinand who played in 2003;
- and Primal Scream who played their first gig in the club.
- Barrie, Stuart (30 March 2007). "DJ Q&A: SUB CLUB". The Daily Record. Retrieved 7 January 2009.[dead link]
- Fulton, Rick (16 May 2008). "Sub Club culture is still spreading". The Daily Record. Retrieved 7 January 2009.[dead link]
- "subclub hire". The Sub Club. Retrieved 7 January 2009.
- "Top 100 Clubs 2008". DJ Magazine. Retrieved 7 January 2009.
- "Top 100 Clubs 2009". DJ Magazine. Retrieved 20 August 2009.