Subaru Tecnica International
High-performance tuning and motorsport division of Subaru
|Founded||April 2, 1988|
|Headquarters||Osawa, Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan|
|Owner||Fuji Heavy Industries|
Subaru Tecnica International (スバルテクニカインターナショナル株式会社 Subaru Tekunika Intānashonaru Kabushiki-gaisha?), or STi, is Fuji Heavy Industries' motorsports division. STi, along with Prodrive of the UK specialized in the preparation of a variety of vehicles for the Subaru World Rally Team which competed in the World Rally Championship (WRC). It was founded in 1988 by Fuji Heavy Industries, the parent company of Subaru, to promote the company's performance-oriented identity.
STI's signature color has traditionally been "Cherry Blossom Red" (or "Rubine Red" as it is known in Australia.) It is seen as a masculine colour in Japanese culture.
STI special limited models
While Subaru offers many models with a trim level labeled "STI" or "Tuned by STI," there have been several special limited edition STI models.
STi was also known for its exceptional quality in producing cars designed for rally racing. Subaru pulled out of the WRC in 2008.
- 1993 LEGACY GT Touring Wagon - STI Version - Limited to 200 units.
- 1990 LEGACY RS Type RA - STI Version - Limited to approximately 300 units.
- 1994 IMPREZA WRX STi
- 1998 IMPREZA 22B STI version - Limited to 400 units.
- 2000 IMPREZA S201 STI version - Limited to 300 units.
- 2001 FORESTER STI II Type M - Limited to 800 units.
- 2002 LEGACY S401 STI version - Limited to 400 units.
- 2002 IMPREZA S202 STI version - Limited to 400 units.
- 2003 IMPREZA WRX STI
- 2003 IMPREZA WRX STi Type RA Spec C
- 2004 IMPREZA S203 - Limited to 555 units.
- 2005 LEGACY tuned by STI - Limited to 600 units.
- 2005 IMPREZA S204 - Limited to 600 units.
- 2006 LEGACY tuned by STI - Limited to 600 units.
- 2006 IMPREZA WRX STI spec C Type RA-R - Limited to 300 units.
- 2007 LEGACY tuned by STI - Limited to 600 units.
- 2007 LIBERTY Spec B Australian Domestic Market (ADM) tuned by STI - Limited to 300 units.
- 2008 LEGACY S402 - Limited to 402 units.
- 2008 LIBERTY Spec B (ADM) tuned by STI - Limited to 250 units.
- 2008 IMPREZA WRX STI "STI 20th ANNIVERSARY" - Limited to 300 units.
- 2009 EXIGA 2.0GT tuned by STI - Limited to 300 units.
- 2010 FORESTER tS - Limited to 300 units.
- 2010 IMPREZA WRX STI tS - Limited to 400 units.
- 2010 IMPREZA R205 - Limited to 400 units.
- 2010 LEGACY tS - Limited to 600 units.
- 2011 IMPREZA S206 & S206 NBR Challenge Package - Limited to 300 units.
- 2011 WRX STI
- 2011 WRX STI Limited - Limited to 400 units.
- 2011 WRX STI A-Line type S
- 2012 Impreza WRX STI Group R4
- 2012 WRX STI spec C
- 2012 STI A-Line type S
- 2013 WRX STI Limited - Limited to 300 units.
- 2015 WRX STI Launch Edition - Limited to 1000 units.
Subaru models with STI trim
The Subaru Impreza WRX and the Subaru Legacy B4 both come in high performance STI editions (formerly capitalized "STi" before the 2006 model year), designed by STI. The STi offers many advantages over the WRX, such as a six-speed manual transmission with a helical (Suretrac in '04 models) limited slip front differential, driver controlled center differential(DCCD), IHI VF39 turbocharger (VF43 in 2007, VF48 from 2008 on), BBS lightweight alloy wheels, a mechanical rear limited slip differential and Brembo brakes. The 2.5 litre engine (designated EJ257) 280PS with 40.0kgfm of torque. The WRX STi has Recaro style bucket seats and a MOMO steering wheel. STI also designs upgraded parts, mostly suspension related, for use on other Subaru vehicles. STi versions of the Impreza, Forester and the Subaru Legacy have been marketed as limited edition vehicles in certain markets. The WRX STi was the first and only STi vehicle made available to North American consumers to date. For other markets, STI also released Legacies kitted out in full STI trim, they are rare and sought after by Subaru enthusiasts. They were only released new in Japan (JDM) and New Zealand (NZDM).
STI also provides parts for racing and street applications in Japan. In the US, STI parts are distributed and sold by SPT (Subaru Performance Tuning) although increasingly they are being made available under the STi name.
- STI - COMPLETE CARS; All Models (Past & Present). Retrieved 2011-9-28
- "Legacy RS RA type STI - Subaru Forum | Type RA Forum for Subaru Impreza WRX Type RA, WRX STi, Spec-C, S202, Type RA-R". Type-ra.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Subaru Tecnica International.|