|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2012)|
|Initial release||18 January 2008|
|Stable release||2.0.2 / 8 July 2013|
|Preview release||3 development build 3065 (public beta) 29 August 2014|
|Written in||C++, Python|
|Operating system||Linux 32/64-bit, Mac OS X 10.6 or later (version 2), 10.7 or later (version 3), Microsoft Windows 32/64-bit|
Sublime Text is a cross-platform text and source code editor, with a Python application programming interface (API). Sublime Text is proprietary software. Its functionality is extendable with plugins. Most of the extending packages have free-software licenses and are community-built and maintained. Sublime Text lacks graphical setting dialogues and is entirely configured by editing text files.
The following is a list of features of Sublime Text:
- "Goto Anything," quick navigation to files, symbols, or lines
- "Command palette" uses adaptive matching for quick keyboard invocation of arbitrary commands
- Multiple selections: simultaneously make the same interactive changes to multiple selected areas
- Python-based plugin API
- Project-specific preferences
- Extensive customizability via JSON settings files, including project-specific and platform-specific settings
- Cross platform (Windows, OS X, Linux)
- Compatible with many language grammars from Textmate.
Sublime Text 2.0.2, the current release, was released on 8 July 2013.
- Sublime Text contains 22 different visual themes, with the option to download additional ones.
- The minimap feature shows the users entire code in the top-right corner of the screen. This allows them to see an outline of the entirety of their code and has functionality to jump between different parts of the file.
Panels, groups and screen modes
- The program offers a number of screen modes including panels that can show up to four files at once as well as full screen and distraction free modes which only show one file without any of the additional menus around it.
- Column selection and multi-select editing
This feature allows users to select entire columns at once or place more than one cursor in text, which allows for simultaneous editing. All cursors then behave as if each of them was the only one in the text. Commands like move by character, move by line, text selection, move by words, move by subwords (CamelCase, hyphen or underscore delimited), move to beginning/end of line etc., affect all cursors independently, allowing one to edit slightly complex repetitive structures quickly without the need to use macros or regex.
- Auto completion
A common feature within text editors Sublime Text will offer to complete entries as the user is typing depending on the language being used. It also auto-completes variables created by the user.
- Syntax highlight and high contrast display
The dark background on Sublime Text is intended to increase the amount of contrast with the text. As certain types of syntax are highlighted in different colours, these stand out better compared to the background than if it were light.
- In-editor code building
This feature allows users to run code for certain languages from within the editor, which eliminates the need to switch out to the command line and back again. This function can also be set to build the code automatically every time the code is saved.
This feature allows users to save blocks of frequently used code and assign keywords to them. The user can then type the keyword and press tab to paste the block of code whenever they require it.
- Goto anything
This feature is a navigation tool that allows users to move between files and also within them.
- Other features
Sublime Text has a number of features in addition to these including:
- Auto-save, which prevents users from losing their work
- Customizable key bindings, a navigational tool which allows users to assign hotkeys to their choice of options in both the menus and the toolbar.
- Find as you type, used to search the document and begins to look for the text being entered as the user types.
- Spell check function corrects as you type.
- Repeat the last action.
- A wide selection of editing commands, including indenting and unindenting, paragraph reformatting and line joining.
Sublime Text can be equipped with a package manager called Package Control that allows the user to find, install, upgrade and remove packages, usually without restarting Sublime Text. The package manager keeps installed packages up-to-date with an auto-upgrade feature and downloads packages from GitHub, BitBucket and a custom JSON-encoded channel/repository system. It also handles updating packages cloned from GitHub and BitBucket via Git and Hg, as well as providing commands for enabling and disabling packages. The package manager also includes a command to bundle any package directory into a .sublime-package file.
A selection of third-party packages available:
- SublimeCodeIntel — Features include Jump to Symbol Definition, Function Call Tool-Tips.
- Sublime Goto Documentation — Opens relevant documentation for the highlighted function.
- Bracket Highlighter — Enhances the basic highlights Sublime Text provides for bracket pairs.
- Sublime dpaste — Sends selected text to the dpaste.com service.
- Side Bar Enhancements — Enhancements to the Sublime Text 2 sidebar with new options for deleting, opening, moving, creating, editing, and finding files.
Version 3 entered beta on 29 January 2013. At first available only for registered users who have purchased Sublime Text 2, on 28 June 2013 it became available to the general public. However, the very latest development builds still require a registration code.
Two of the main features that Sublime Text 3 adds include symbol indexing and pane management. Symbol Indexing allows Sublime Text to scan files and build an index to facilitate the features Goto Definition and Goto Symbol in Project. Pane Management allows users to move between panes via hotkeys.
- List of text editors
- Comparison of text editors
- Popular replacements and main competitors: BBEdit, TextMate, Notepad++, Emacs, vim, Atom, Brackets, and others.
- "Sublime Text 2 EULA". Sublime HQ Pvt Ltd.
- "Sublime Text". Sublime HQ Pty Ltd. Retrieved 14 March 2014.
- "Features". 1stwebdesigner. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Interface". 1stwebdesigner. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Features". makeuseof.com. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Features". thewebdesignbay.com. Retrieved 13 November 2012.
- "Package Control". wbond.net. Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Package Manager". rockettheme.com. Retrieved 26 November 2012.
- "Sublime Text 3 Dev Builds". Retrieved 9 September 2013.
- "Sublime Text 3 Beta". Sublime Blog. Retrieved 11 January 2014.