Cover of the DVD of the OVA Submarine 707R
|Original video animation|
|Directed by||Shoichi Masuo|
|Licensed by|| Geneon
|Released||26 September 2003|
Submarine 707R (サブマリン707R) is a two-episode anime OVA produced by Group TAC and Sony and also a manga released by Satoru Ozawa (小沢さとる) released in 1963-1965 on Weekly Shōnen Sunday and although not a mecha robot series, a "mecha" storyline that spawned plastic models during its time.
The manga series was very intriguing for its time as it was a unique story that featured various submarines with a storyline that introduced readers to anti-submarine warfare, homing torpedoes, sonars and technical topics in relation to submarines. Due to its popularity, reception of the OVA adaptation has been mixed.
In the near future, the world is at war: the USR (the Undersea Silence Revolution or the Underwater Silence Revolution) a mysterious organization led by Admiral Red and his powerful submarine UX, wants to stop human exploitation of the seas, having torpedoed many ships and ports. The world's navies unite and form the Peace Keeping Navy, or PKN, to fight the "terrorists". Every major UN member contributed a submarine, though the Japanese entry is an old clunker, the 707, and it is running late to the inaugural meeting. When the meeting finally begins, Admiral Red and the UX come to spoil the show with a spread of torpedoes. Arriving late in the battle, Captain Youhei Hayami steers the 707 into the way of a torpedo launched at the supercarrier that serves as the PKN's flagship. His ship is destroyed, but the flagship survives.
Six months later, Captain Hayami is given command of the salvaged and rebuilt 707, and takes a crew of old comrades and brand new cadets to sea to fight Admiral Red once more.
- Admiral Red
- Voiced by: Unshou Ishizuka: Commander of the USR and the submarine UX, main antagonist of the series
- Captain Hayami
- Voiced by: Ben Hiura: Maritime Self-Defense Force officer. The 707's captain.
- Hayato Nango
- Maritime Self-Defense Officer which through the manga series went from third to second grade officer and later became the captain of the 717
- Admiral Rozhestvensky, CO Aleksander Semyonovski – Russia
- Gotha-Werft, CO Wilhelm Friedrich – Germany
- Great Guardian, CO Howard Boone – United States
- Cachelot, CO John Barringer – United Kingdom
- Ganges, CO Mahabaryana Soong – India
- Mansoula, CO Eddamel Asshab Saddad – Egypt
- Melchiore, CO Pierre Morel – France
- Vulcano, CO Luvo Marisol – Italy
- 401, CO Mao Dzuhai – China
- 707, CO Youhei Hayami – Japan
- UX, CO Admiral Red
The first original attempt for an anime series based on the manga was planned back in 1964 but later released as an audio drama ala "Sonoshito" (ソノシート, a very thin-sized record).
In 1997, a Toei film was released that focused on his second manga "SUBMARINE 707F" but the anime version "Submarine 707R" OVA's were released by Aniplex back in Sept. 26, 2003 (mission 01) and April 24, 2004 (mission 02).