|Subrata Roy Sahara|
10 June 1948 |
Araria, Bihar, India
|Occupation||Founder and Chairman of the Sahara India Pariwar|
|Years active||1978 – present|
|Known for||Owner of Pune Warriors India, Grosvenor House, Aamby Valley City, Plaza Hotel, Dream Downtown Hotel|
Subrata Roy Sahara (born 10 June 1948) is an Indian businessman who is the founder and chairman of the Sahara India Pariwar, an Indian conglomerate with diversified ownership interests that includes Pune Warriors India, London's Grosvenor House, New York's Plaza Hotel, Aamby Valley City and Force India. Roy founded the company in 1978.
Subrata Roy was born in Bihar in 1948 to Sudhir Chandra Roy and Srimati Chhabi Roy. He studied at Holy Child School in Kolkata and later studied diploma in mechanical engineering from Government Technical Institute, Gorakhpur. Roy started his first business in Gorakhpur.
Roy founded the Sahara Group in 1978., with an initial asset base of just USD 43. From there, it went on to become the largest conglomerate of India with a diversified range of business interests. The company now has interests in Real estate, Media, Entertainment, Tourism, Healthcare, and Hospitality.
Awards and honors
Subrata Roy Sahara has received an Honorary Doctorate in Business Leadership by University of East London (2013).
He has also received the ‘Business Icon of the Year’ Award at the Powerbrands Hall of Fame Awards in London in 2011. He has been the ITA – TV Icon of the Year 2007. He has received the Global Leadership Award in 2004. He received Businessmen of the Year Award in the year 2002, the Best Industrialist Award in the year 2002, Vishisht Rashtriya Udaan Samman (2010) by a daily from India’s top most publication house,Vocational Award for Excellence (2010) by Rotary International, Karmaveer Samman (1995), Udyam Shree (1994), Baba-E-Rozgar Award (1992) and the National Citizen Award in the year 2001. He won the Academy Award in Indian Television Academy Awards for his contribution to Indian Television. He has been also awarded with honorary degree of D. Litt. by Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga. Moreover, he has been featured regularly in the India Today (India’s Leading Magazine) list of ‘50 Most Powerful People of India’, since 2003.
Roy has propounded the corporate philosophy of ‘Collective Materialism’, that advocates collective growth through collective sharing and caring.
- "Sahara India Pariwar". Sahara.in. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "India's Sahara Group". thedailystar.com. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 2012-05-27.
- "Subroto Roy Biography". mapsofindia.com. 2011-02-23. Retrieved 2011-02-27.
- "Subrata Roy". timesofindia.com. 2003-07-10. Retrieved 2004-07-11.
- "Sahara India". newagebd.com. 2012-05-24. Retrieved 201-05-27.
- "Owner of Pune Warriors runs Sahara India Pariwar as managing worker". THE AUSTRALIAN. 2010-05-06. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "Subrata Roy Sahara". businessweek.com. Retrieved 2011-09-12.
- "UK university confers honorary doctorate on Subrata Roy". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2013-07-10. Retrieved 2013-07-11.
- "Grand lounch of Powerbrand". indianfoline.com. 2011-12-15. Retrieved 2011-12-16.
- "Mithila varsity confers D Litt on Subrata Roy - Times Of India". Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 2011-05-17. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "High and Mighty-2012". Indiatoday.intoday.in. Retrieved 2012-04-07.
- Perry, Alex (2004-12-06). "A Tale of Two Indias". TIME. Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- "Wearing Nationalism On His Sleeve". Business Standard. 2002-09-18. Retrieved 2011-09-12.