Subroto Cup Football Tournament is an inter-school football tournament in India, named after the Indian Air Force Air Marshal Subroto Mukerjee. It started in 1960 and has been conducted every year annually since then.
Subroto Mukerjee conceived the idea in 1958 when he was the Chief of the Air Staff. Subroto Mukerjee Sports Education Society was formed in 1960 after his untimely death in Tokyo. The first tournament was held in 1960, with participation of about 50 school teams. The number of schools participating increased over the years. Since 1998, the tournament is played in two age groups, sub-Junior (under 14 years) and Junior (under 17 years).
Preliminary inter-school tournaments are held in every state of India starting from Sub-division, district and division level culminating in the inter-school finals at the national level. The school teams, winning the state inter-school championships are then invited to participate in the main Subroto Mukerjee Cup Tournament at Delhi.
The tournament is on "Knock-out/League" system and is played in accordance with laws and rules relating to Football Association and as accepted and interpreted by the All India Football Federation (AIFF). The duration of the game has been reduced to 30 minutes each half with an interval of 5 minutes. In the event of a draw, extra time of 7 minutes each half with one minute's interval is allowed. If a match ends in a draw even after extra time the Tournament Committee may direct that the game be decided by enforcing the Tie Breaker Rule.
- "52nd Subroto Cup kickstarts today". Yahoo! News. 4 Nov 2011. Retrieved 19 Mar 2012.
- "Sports Minister sanctions Rs 20 lakh for Subroto Cup". Press Information Bureau, Government of India. 25 October 2009. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Hutchings crowned Subroto Cup champs". The Indian Express. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup from Oct 7". The Indian Express. 5 October 1992. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup to kick off from Sept 2 with new format". The Hindu. 29 August 2008. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup from September 1". The Times of India. 21 August 2004. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup: Tamil Nadu boys to take on Ukraine in semis". The Times of India. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2013.