Substitution (sometimes referred to as interchange) is a concept or term used in many different team sports where a team is able to change one player for another whilst a match is in play. Substitute players that are not in the starting lineup reside on the bench and are available to substitute for a starter. Substitutes also known as bench players, backups or reserves. Starters who are substituted are sometimes referred to as being "on the bench" during the game.
- Australian rules football (Interchange (Australian rules football))
- rugby league (Interchange)
- Association Football (Substitute (association football))
- Cricket (Substitute (cricket))
- basketball (substitute)..
Some sports have restrictions on substituting or interchanging players whereas others do not.
|This sports-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|