||This article may be in need of reorganization to comply with Wikipedia's layout guidelines. (June 2012)|
15 April 1977 |
Puri, Odisha, India
|Awards||Padma Shri (2014) |
Early life and background
He started sculpting images on sand since the age of seven and has designed hundreds of sand sculpture.
In the recent years people have started focusing on this art form. Being born to a poor family, his childhood dream was beyond reach in the shape of education, but destiny has reserved something for him by the serene sea under the soft sun shine striving to leave imprints on the sand of time – that’s what the international sand artist is all about.
Sudarsan Patnaik’s ultimate objective is to create awareness and enthusiasm among the people and make it popular professional art form among the people for which he is traveling various places in the country and demonstrating this art form by holding work shops and training. He established "The Golden Sand Art Institute” which is first of its nature in India. His sculptures include environmental crisis, famous festivals, national integrity and religious tolerance.
Sudarsan has represented India in 50 international Sand Sculpture championship and festivals all around the world and Won 27 (Twenty seven) championship prizes for the country. During the year 2013, he won 1st prize (gold medal) at Saint Peters Burg in 12th International sand sculpture competition at Russia, Danish grand prizes at International Sand competition Championship, Denmark and won Moscow museum prize at Russia. In 2011 he won 1st prize and public prize at Denmark and also won double medal at Solo International sand art contest in Mervala 2012. In 2010, he won the gold medal for people choice award at 3rd Moscow World sand sculpture championship. He also won three medal in North American solo sand sculpture championship, People choice prize in Canada and Moscow. In 2009 Won the Korea sand sculpture award. In 2008 he won the World champion title at USF World sand sculpture championship, Berlin. Apart from this he is the 5 times winner of people choice award at Berlin, which is a record.
His sand sculpture on Black Taj Mahal earned him accolades all over the world.
He has won many national and international awards for his creative designs and has recorded his name in the World records. He was Awarded Padma Shri in 2014.
Notable international performance
- 1998 United Kingdom Exhibited during the world travel market held at Early Court, London in November 1998 with support of Govt. of India Tourist Office, London.
- 1999 United Kingdom Exhibited during the world cup Cricket 99 held at EDGBASTON
- 2000 France World Sand Sculpturing Championship.
- 2000 China International Sand Sculpturing Championship.
- 2000 United Kingdom International Sand Sculpturing Festival at Glassgow.
- 2001 Denmark International Sand Sculpture festival 2001 Blokhus on 25 June 2001.
- 2001 Italy 3rd prize in world's master Sand Sculpturing championship.
- 2002 Netherlands Singles International Sand Sculpturing competition at SCHEVENINGEN on 6 May 2002.
- 2002 Japan Champions medal in "29th International Snow Statue Contest 2002" at SAPPORO JAPAN.
- 2002 Belgium Sand Sculpture Festival BLANKENBERGE.
- 2002 NETHERLANDS The Dutch Sand Sculpture Festival Thorn 2002-03 at Holland in July.
- 2002 China The First China Ningxia Sand Lake International Sand Sculpture event.
- 2003 China The 3rd Luilang colour Sand Festival Demonstration Prize at china 2003.
- 2003 Spain 2nd Prize inInternational Sand Sculpture Championship at Valadoli, Spain.
- 2003 Germany 3rd Prize at Berlin International Sand Sculpture Championship.
- 2003 China 4th Prize at China International Sand Sculpture competition.
- 2004 Oman Sand Sculpture Demonstration at Muscat Festival 2004 at Oman.
- 2004 Germany Participated at Sand World Festival at Travemunda.
- 2004 Germany Public Prize at 2nd Berlin Sand Station Competition.
- 2004 AUSTRALIA Participated at Sand Sculpting at Melbourne.
- 2005 USA Participated in Houston International Festival at Houston Texas. TAJMAHAL recreated in Sand.
- 2005 Germany 1st Prize at3rd Berlin International Sand Sculpture competition.
- 2006 CANADA Representing India on Tournament of World Championship of Sand Sculpture
- 2006 Doha Demonstrating on 15th Asian Game Doha, Qatar.
- 2007 JAPAN Represented India at 34th Sapporo Snow Sculpture Festival.
- 2007 UAE Demonstrating Sand Sculpture at International Student conference 2007 at Abu Dhabi.
- 2007 MALAYSIA Representing India in 1st International Sand Sculpture Festival.
- 2007 TURKEY Representing India at 1st Instansbul International Sand Sculpture Festival.
- 2007 Berlin 5th Public Prize at Berlin Representing India in 1st International Sand Sculpture Festival.
- 2007 RUHR 1st Audience prize at Representing India in 1st International Sand Sculpture Festival.
- 2008 JAPAN Represented India in Tottori Sand Museum.
- 2008 MOSCOW Won people choice prize at 1st International Sand Sculpture Festival.
- 2008 Berlin Won 1st Prize at USF World Championship 2008, Berlin. And got the title of world Champion.
- 2009 JAPAN Participated in World Sand Art Festival.
- 2009 MOSCOW Won Special Prize at world Sand Sculpture Championship 2009, by Russia Government.
- 2009 SOUTH KOREA: Korea sand sculptor award 2009 at 4th Haeundae Sand Festival at BUSAN
- 2009 Berlin: People choice prize at 2nd USF World championship 2009, Berlin, Germany.
- 2010 Russia: People choice prize at 2nd Moscow World sand sculpture championship, 2010.
- 2010 Berlin: 1st place in people’s choice at 8th International Berlin sand sculpture championship 2010(THIS IS THE 5Th TIME WINNING PEOPLE”S CHOICE PRIZE).
- 2010 Canada: People’s choice prize at CNE International sand sculpture championship 2010
- 2010 USA: Won three medals in North American solo sand sculpture championship 2010.
- 2011 Moscow: Gold medal for people’s choice at 3rd Moscow World sand sculpture championship, 2011.
- 2011 Denmark: Won 1st prize at Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship, 2012.
- 2012 Spain: Won double gold medal at Solo International sand art contest in Mervala 2012. One for the people choice and another for most positive sculpture.
- 2012 Denmark: Won Public prize at Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship 2012.
- 2013 Russia: Won Moscow museum prize at Moscow World sand art championship 2013.
- 2013 Denmark : Won the Danish grand prize at 2nd Copenhagen International sand sculpture championship 2013.
Awards And Achievements
- HE WON WORLD CUP OF SAND SCULPTING 2014.
- He was awarded Padma Shri by Government of India, the forth highest civilian award in India, in 2014 for his contribution in sand arts.
- “Honorary Doctorate” in LL.D. by Berhampur University, Odisha in 2012.
- “Godavari Award” by kusumagraj pratisthan at Nasik, Maharastra in 2012.
- Felicitated and awarded by the Hon'ble President of India Smt. Pratibha Devi singh Patil at Puri beach in Odisha.
- Young Indian leadership award 2010 by CNN IBN.
- “People of the Year 2009” Limca book of Records honoured as on the occasion of 20th edition of Limca Book.
- “Sarala award” by the state government for the year 2008.
- 5 times Limca Book of World Record
- “Limca Book of Record” honoured as India Extraordinary for sand sculpture on the occasion of the celebration of sixty years of India’s Independence on Sep 25, 2007, in New York.
- “National Tourism award 2005-2006” for most innovative tourism project by Ministry of Tourism, Govt. India.
- “EXCELLENCY AWARD 2006” held in July2006 at New Delhi by The Sulabh International and The Society of Sri Lanka Justice of the Peace Human Rights Organization.
- “NATIONAL YOUTH AWARD 2004-2005” organized by Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India at Patna, Bihar.
- “BHARAT JYOTI AWARD 2001” At Kolkota. (Front for National progress)
- “Award of Excellence” by State bank of India BBSR Circle.
- People's Choice Award at Sand Sculpting World Cup 2014 at Atlantic City, US.
- Providing training to artists through open air Sudarsan Sand Art Institute at
- Puri beach that I started in 1994 with a view to make these students learn and develop sand art as a professional art form. Students from India and abroad are enrolled for projects, regular and short term courses. My objective is to create professional artists through regular curriculum in this school of art and culture in a Gurukul concept.
- Published a book regarding SAND ART.
- Conducted training and workshops and demonstrated the art form in different Fair and Festivals in and around the countries to promote and popularize this art.
- Created World record’s on sand sculpture at puri beach in 2006, 2007,2008, 2009, 2010 which was placed in Limca Book of World record.
- Sand animation show at the opening ceremony of Common Wealth Game 2010 at New Delhi.
- Dept. of Culture, Govt. of Odisha appoint as Government nominee (Executive member) of Odisha Lalita Kala Academy.
- Brand ambassador for National Aluminum Company Limited (NALCO).
- Brand ambassador for International sand art festival of Odisha.
Social Awareness Programs
Sand art as a medium to create social awareness amongst people on global issues such as World Peace, Threatened Wild Life species (Olive Ridley Turtles), Terrorism, HIV-AIDS, World Sports, Global Warming, Which has been extensively covered by the electronic National and International Media like BBC, CNN, ABC, Doordarshan, Discovery, National Geography, Aaj Tak, NDTV and others as well as the print media.
- "Four person from Odisha to get Padma Shri award including Sand artist Sudarshan Patnaik". Odishadiary. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- Patnaik, Sudarshan. "Four people get Padma Shro".
- http://orissadiary.com/inerview/sudarsan-patnaik.asp. Missing or empty
- "Sudarsan Pattnaik becomes Nalco brand ambassador". Economic times (Bhubaneshwar, India). 20 May 2011.
- "Padma Awards Announced". Press Information Bureau, Ministry of Home Affairs. 25 January 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-26.
- "Sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik wins international sculpting award". IANS. news.biharprabha.com. Retrieved 28 June 2014.
- Website Dedicated to Mr. Patnaik's work http://www.sandindia.com/home.html
- An OrissaDiary Interview with Mr. Sudarsan Patnaik http://orissadiary.com/inerview/sudarsan-patnaik.asp
- International Sand Art by Sudarsan Patnaik (Puri District Website)http://puri.nic.in/sandart1.htm
- Telegraph (UK) Sand sculptures by Sudarsan Pattnaik from India http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/6309340/Sand-sculptures-by-Sudarsan-Pattnaik-from-India.html?image=6
- Sand Art Image of Gaddafi in Reuter Story http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/10/25/idINIndia-60118120111025
- Sudarsan Pattnaik's sand sculpture on global warming wins Berlin contest http://www.deccanherald.com/content/85340/sudarsan-pattnaiks-sand-sculpture-global.html
- Youth projects ideas through sand art http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110519/jsp/orissa/story_13997910.jsp
- Sand artist Sudarshan Pattnaik's sand art images http://www.indoscopy.com/2010/07/sudarshan-pattnaik.html
- Pattnaik creates sand sculpture to popularize Earth Hour (Sify News)
- Unique 'get well soon' wish for Big B (The Times of India)
- A sand sculpture of Amitabh Bachchan (apunkachoice.com)
- Sculptor builds his 38th Taj Mahal in Amsterdam (Sindh Today)