List of Sudbury schools
Sudbury schools practice a form of democratic education in which students individually decide what to do with their time, and learn as a by-product of ordinary experience rather than through classes or a standard curriculum. Students have complete responsibility for their own education and the school is run by a direct democracy in which students and staff have an equal vote.
The 'Sudbury' name refers to Sudbury Valley School, founded in 1968 in Framingham, Massachusetts, one of the first schools of this type in North America. The oldest democratic school in existence is the Summerhill School in Suffolk, England, founded in 1921. The Sudbury Valley School has been the inspiration for numerous schools that now informally consider themselves 'Sudbury schools' in addition to being democratic schools.
- Kobe Sudbury School, Nishinomiya
- Democratic School Makkuro-kurosuke, Kanzaki, Hyogo
- Shonan Sudbury School, Chigasaki
- Okinawa Sudbury School, Ginowan-shi
- The Diablo Valley School, Concord, California
- Leeway Sudbury School, San Diego, California
- The Open School Orange County, California (planning stages)
- River Valley Sudbury School, Chester, Connecticut
- Mountain Laurel Sudbury School, New Britain, Connecticut
- Sudbury School of Kentuckiana, Southern Indiana (Clarksville, Jeffersonville, New Albany) (planning stages)
- Arts & Ideas Sudbury School, Baltimore, Maryland
- Freedom Hill Cooperative, Dickerson, Maryland
- Fairhaven School, Upper Marlboro, Maryland
- Platte Valley School  (Eastern Nebraska) development underway
- Bergen Sudbury Free School, Bergen County, New Jersey (under development)
- Jersey Shore Free School, Little Silver, New Jersey
- Jordan Lake Sudbury School, Cary, North Carolina
- The Jefferson Sudbury School, Fredericksburg, Virginia (planning stages)
- Shenandoah Valley Community School, Harrisonburg, Virginia
- The Trillium School, Indianola, Washington
- The Clearwater School, Bothell, Washington
- Rising Tide School, Olympia, Washington
- Sudbury De vlinder, Ghent
- Indigo Sudbury Campus, Edmonton, Alberta (closed in 2009)
- The Beach School, Toronto, Ontario (closed in 2008)
- The Fairfield School, Wolfville, Nova Scotia (closed in 2007)
- Big Rock Sudbury School Novato, California (archived web page) (closed in 2007)
- Blue Ridge Sudbury School, Lynchburg, Virginia
- Cedarwood Sudbury School, Santa Clara, California (archived web page)
- The Chicago Sudbury School Chicago, Illinois
- Evergreen Sudbury School Hallowell, Maine
- Full Circle Community School Orlando, Florida
- Greenwood Sudbury School Hampton, Connecticut
- Sudbury Valley School • About SVS - School Days Retrieved September 2, 2013.
- Ellis, Arthur K. (2004). Exemplars of curriculum theory. Eye on Education. ISBN 1-930556-70-5.
- "Education: Class Dismissed". Psychology Today. 2006-05-01. Retrieved September 2, 2013. "Since 1991, more than three dozen Sudbury-type schools have sprouted around the country and the world."
- Big Rock Sudbury School at the Wayback Machine (archived October 12, 2007). Retrieved September 2, 2013. "Big Rock Sudbury School is closed as of June 16, 2007, and is no longer in operation... Our thanks go to all of the students, parents, staff and volunteers that made the school a reality, for all the support and passion that went into the school over the four fun even if bumpy years of existence, and for the difference that it made for the almost 70 kids and their families that attended Big Rock Sudbury School during that time. This is the web site as it was at the time of closing."
- Cedarwood Sudbury School at the Wayback Machine (archived October 24, 2007). Retrieved September 2, 2013.