Sudeep in 2014
2 September 1973
|Other names||Kiccha, Kiccha Sudeep|
|Alma mater||DSCE, Bangalore|
|Occupation||Actor, film director, producer, playback singer, screenwriter, television presenter, anchor, dubbing artist, philanthropist|
|Television||Bigg Boss Kannada – Host (2013, 2014)|
|Spouse(s)||Priya (m. 2001)|
|Parents||Sarovar Sanjeev Manjappa
|Awards||Filmfare Awards South :
(2001, 2002, 2003, 2012)
Karnataka State Film Awards : (2002–03)
|This article is part of a series on
Sudeep Sanjeev, known mononymously as Sudeep, is an Indian film actor, director, producer, screenwriter, playback singer, who hails from Shivamogga District, Karnataka. A traditional Kannada film actor, he has also been noted for his presence in pan-Indian cinema.
Sudeep is known for his roles in the Kannada films Sparsha (1999), Huccha (2001), Dhumm (2002), Nandhi (2002), Kiccha (2003), Swaathi Mutthu (2003), My Autograph (2006), Mussanje Maathu (2008), Veera Madakari (2009), Just Maath Maathalli (2010), Kempe Gowda (2011), Vishnuvardhana (2011), Bachchan (2013), Maanikya (2014) and Telugu Blockbuster Eega.
He has won the Filmfare Award for Best Actor – Kannada for three consecutive years for his films Huchcha (2001), Nandhi (2002) and Swathi Muthu (2003). His acting in the negative role in Telugu Blockbuster movie Eega directed by S.S. Rajamouli has made him enter the Tollywood-Telugu and Kollywood-Tamil Industries. His performance was highly appreciated by several critics and celebrities. His Latest movie Manikya is a Block Buster of 2014
Off Late he has been associated with the Kannada version of Bigg Boss
Sudeep was born to Sanjeev Manjappa and Saroja in Shimoga district of the erstwhile Mysore State (now Karnataka). He obtained his Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering from Dayananda Sagar College of Engineering, Bangalore. He was a University-level cricket player during the day and had also represented at the State-level in its Under-17 and Under-19 teams. Before taking up acting as a profession, Sudeep attended the Roshan Taneja School of Acting in Mumbai, where he overcame his "shyness". and he use to take care of his father's business quite a little time.
Sudeep started his acting career with a TV serial, titled Premada Kadambari and directed by Sudhakar Bhandari, which was aired on Udaya TV. His first movie was Thaayavva (his first two films O Kusuma Bale and Brahma were abandoned mid-filming ); he then played a supporting role in the Sunil Kumar Desai directed movie Prathyartha and landed a leading actor role in the same director's Sparsha. In 2001, Sudeep acted in the hit film Huchcha, which gave him his first big following. In the year 2008 he made his debut in Bollywood with the movie Phoonk. He has also starred in Ram Gopal Varma's movies Rann, Phoonk 2 and Rakta Charitra. His movies Kempe Gowda and Vishnuvardhana released in 2011 were blockbusters.
His acting in the negative role in Telugu movie Eega directed by S.S. Rajamouli has made him enter the Tollywood-Telugu and Kollywood-Tamil Industries. Eega was a record hit at the Box Office. Sudeep played a major role in the movie and his performance was highly appreciated by several critics and celebrities. His Bachchan and Varadanayaka released in 2013 were super hits. His Maanikya released in 2014 was blockbuster. His next movie is Ranna which is a remake of a Telugu super hit Attarintiki Daredi starring power star Pawan Kalyan
He has also directed Kannada movies and his directorial debut My Autograph . He has directed a few more movies, namely #73 Shaanthi Nivaasa, Veera Madakari, Just Maath Maathalli, Kempe Gowda and Maanikya.
He made his debut in television with Premada Kadambari and also appeared as a mentor in the reality show Pyate Hudgeer-Halli Lifu season 1 which was aired in Asianet Suvarna. He was the host for the Kannada version of the reality show Bigg Boss season 1 which aired on ETV Kannada and season 2 on Asianet Suvarna.
He also produced My Autograph which was a huge success in Kannada industry.
Apart from acting, Sudeep also had a singing career. His singing has been well received by his fans and audience. He sang for his movies Vaalee (2001), Chandu (2002), Ranga SSLC (2004), Nalla (2004), #73, Shaanthi Nivaasa (2007), Veera Madakari (2009), Kempe Gowda (2011), Bachchan (2013)  and also for others movies such as Mandya to Mumbai (2014), Ring Road Shubha (2014), Raate(2015).
He also worked as dubbing artist for his movie Veera Madakari.
Sudeep married Priya in 2001 and they have a daughter named Saanvi (born 2004) together. He is the captain of Karnataka Bulldozers cricket team that competes in the Celebrity Cricket League. He owns a film production company named Kiccha Creations and a few films have been produced under the banner, including the 2007 No 73, Shanthi Nivasa that stars Sudeep himself. In 2013, he launched Stage 360°, an event management company, that his wife takes active part in.
Sudeep is considered as one of the most popular actors in Kannada cinema. He was listed 1st in the Times 25 Most Desirable Men in Bangalore for the year 2012. Karnataka Rakshana Vedike (KaRaVe) gave the Abhinaya Chakravarthy title to Sudeep for his contribution to cinema industry in the presence of a large number of fans. He is the highest paid Kannada actor. Sources say that he signed for 6 crore for Tamil movie starring Tamil actor vijay.
In 2012, he was signed as the Brand Ambassador of Joyalukkas, a Jewellery Retail Chain. In 2013, he was appointed as the brand Ambassador for Bangalore Traffic Police Department and Income Tax Department. In 2014, he was appointed as the Brand Ambassador for Intex Technologies (India) Mobiles & Paragon Footwares.
On the occasion of World AIDS day, Sudeep , Tejas and Vijay Raghavendra has given voice over for the Teach AIDS animation. It is reported that the animation video Kannada Teach AIDS is a conversation between the doctor and a student is about the prevention of AIDS.
Awards and nominations
- "sudeep biography". entertainment.oneindia.in.
- The Massive Star Cast of Rann. india.com (2008-11-11)
- "Sudeep Sanjeev – 'Sparsha' of the Kannada film industry". bangalorebest.com. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- "Bramha Faces Trouble". chitraloka.com. 5 February 2014.
- Phoonk (2008) – IMDb
- Six Super Toppers – Kannada Cinema 2011 – Part 1. Supergoodmovies.com (2011-12-21).
- K Rajani Kanth and Varada Bhat (2012-07-10) Eega 'flies high' at box office. Business Standard.
- "Just Math Mathalli is for die-hard romantics". Movies.rediff.com. 2010-02-05. Retrieved 2011-03-10.
- "Sudeep to host reality show". sify.com. 10 May 2010.
- Actor Sudeep to anchor ‘Pyate Hudgeer, Halli Lifu’ on Suvarna. Exchange4media.com (2010-05-08).
- Sudeep to host Bigg Boss Kannada. M.tellychakkar.com (2013-02-28).
- Sudeep Filmography, Sudeep Movies, Sudeep Films. entertainment.oneindia.in.
- "Sudeep’s going strong at 40!". The Times of India. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Celebrity Cricket League (CCL)-the Official Website "ccl". ccl.in.
- "Launch of Kannada star Sudeep's event management company Stage 360° at Bangalore". timesofindia.indiatimes.com. 18 November 2013. Retrieved 18 November 2013.
- Bangalore Times Most Desirable Men 2012 – Top 25 – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2013-05-21).
- Sudeepa now Abhinaya Chakravarthy - chitraloka.com | Kannada Movies | Latest Kannada Film News, Reviews | Stills, Images, Actress, Actors, Pictures. chitraloka.com (2012-06-30).
- Joyalukkas India Pvt. Ltd. Joyalukkasindia.com (2013-05-15).
- Sudeep to endorse jewellery brand – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2012-12-15).
- Sudeep All Set for the Real Act newindianexpress.com (2013-12-17)
- "Intex targets revenue of Rs 6500 crore by 2016; to focus on south India". www.indiantelevision.com. 16 Aug 2014.
- Sudeep-Vijay Raghavendra Join Hands For AIDS Awareness entertainment.oneindia.in (2013-12-03)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sudeep.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Sudeep|