Sue Lloyd in the trailer for The Ipcress File (1965)
|Born||Susan Margery Jeaffreson Lloyd
7 August 1939
Aldeburgh, Suffolk, England
|Died||20 October 2011
Cause of death
(1991) (his death)
Sue Lloyd (7 August 1939 – 20 October 2011) was an English model turned actress with numerous film and television credits.
The daughter of a GP, Susan Margery Jeaffreson Lloyd was born in Aldeburgh, Suffolk. She attended Edgbaston High School in Birmingham and studied dance as a child, attending Sadler's Wells Ballet School. As her height (5 feet 8 inches (1.73 m)) increased, her possibilities for a career as a dancer diminished, and she became a showgirl and model, and, briefly, a member of Lionel Blair's dance troupe.
Films and television
She made her film debut in two espionage themed films in 1965. Lloyd was a glamorous foil to Michael Caine's Harry Palmer in the spy thriller The IPCRESS File, and she later appeared alongside Caine's Palmer in Bullet to Beijing (1995). In 1965 she had a role in The Return of Mr. Moto
In the same year Lloyd played the regular role of secret agent Cordelia Winfield, alongside Steve Forrest in the 1965-66 British ITC television series The Baron. Originally Lloyd's character only appeared in the pilot episode with Steve Forrest's sidekick played by Paul Ferris. Pressure from the American television network who were to screen the show replaced Ferris with the glamorous Lloyd.
In 1971, Lloyd starred in a stage version of the TV series The Avengers playing John Steed's sidekick, Mrs Hannah Wild. She also appeared with several other stars in the 1976 Lindsay Shonteff imitation James Bond film No. 1 of the Secret Service.
She is probably best known, however, for her long-running role as Barbara Hunter, née Brady, in the soap opera Crossroads, beginning in 1979, and she remained in the role until 1985 when Sue and her on-screen and future real-life husband, Ronald Allen, were sacked from the series. To the surprise of many (he had lived with Brian Hankins for most of his life until Hankins's death from cancer), she married Allen, six weeks before his own death from cancer on 19 June 1991.
Sue Lloyd died on 20 October 2011, aged 72, from cancer.
- The Ipcress File (1965)
- Hysteria (1965)
- The Baron (1966–1967)
- Attack on the Iron Coast (1968)
- Corruption (1968)
- Where's Jack? (1969)
- Twinky (1970)
- Percy (1971)
- Innocent Bystanders (1972)
- That's Your Funeral (1972)
- Go for a Take (1972)
- Penny Gold (1973)
- The Ups and Downs of a Handyman (1975)
- Spanish Fly (1975)
- No. 1 of the Secret Service (1977)
- Revenge of the Pink Panther (1977)
- The Stud (1978)
- Lady Oscar (1979)
- The Bitch (1979)
- Rough Cut (1980)
- Eat the Rich (1987)
- Bullet to Beijing (1995)
- Beginner's Luck (2001)
- http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2011/oct/23/sue-lloyd?newsfeed=true The Guardian Obituary. Retrieved 23 October 2011
- p.189 Lisanti, Tom & Paul, Louis Film Fatales: Women in Espionage Films and Television, 1962-1973 McFarland, 2002
- pp160-161TV Babylon" by Paul Donnelley (Vista, 1997)
- Fade to Black A Book of Movie Obituaries by Paul Donnelley. Omnibus Press: 2010)
- Ipcress File Star Sue Lloyd Dies at 72
- Sue Lloyd at the Internet Movie Database
- Sue Lloyd as Cordelia Winfield
- Obituary, The Guardian, 23 October 2011
- Obituary, Daily Telegraph, 24 October 2011