Raney begin singing at only four years of age, and encouraged by her mother, began working as a professional before she was a teenager. When she was nearly 14, she joined Jack Carson's Los Angeles-based radio show in 1954, and later worked on television as Ray Anthony's band's main vocalist. Her single Biology was the first Capitol single to be elevated to national promotion after Capitol introduced regional pre-testing in 1960.
After a hiatus in the 1970s, Raney has continued to record sporadically, with one of her most recent albums being a 2006 tribute to Doris Day entitled Heart's Desire.
Her Imperial single "Early Morning Blues And Greens" was well-played on easy-listening stations, peaking at No. 16 on Billboard's MOR chart. Raney is married to former Cubs/Red Sox player Carmen Fanzone.
She voiced Patti Bear in The Great Bear Scare, an animated Halloween sequel to The Bear Who Slept Through Christmas.
- When Your Lover Has Gone (1958, Capitol)
- Songs for a Raney Day (1960, Capitol)
- All by Myself (1964, Capitol)
- Happiness Is a Warm Sue Raney (1965, Philips)
- Alive and in Love (1966, Imperial)
- New & Now (1967, Imperial)
- With a Little Help from My Friends (1969, Imperial)
- The People Tree (1972, Light)
- Sings the Music of Johnny Mandel (1982, Discovery; reissued as Dreamsville in 1992 on Trend)
- Ridin' High (1984, Discovery)
- Flight of Fancy (1986, Discovery)
- Quietly There: The Music of Johnny Mandel (1988 re-issue w/ added songs, Discovery)
- In Good Company (1990, Discovery)
- Heart and Soul (1995 Compilation, Capitol)
- Autumn in the Air (Fresh Sound, 1997)
- Breathless (1997 Compilation, Studio West)
- Volume II (2004 Compilation, Studio West)
- Heart's Desire: A Tribute to Doris Day (2006, Fresh Sound)
- Best of Supersax and The L.A. Voices - featuring Sue Raney (2006)
- Listen Here: Alone with Alan Broadbent (2011, SSJ)
- Levinson, Peter J. September in the Rain: the Life of Nelson Riddle. Page 185. Watson-Guptill, 2001.
- Allmusic Biography
- Billboard - 6 juin 1960 - Page 18 " Single had passed the test in the Southeastern region, covering the Miami, Atlanta, Memphis and New Orleans markets. First single to jump from its regional testing grounds to national distribution was Sue Raney's "Biology." "
- Sue Raney at AllMusic
- Sue Raney at the Internet Movie Database
- http://SueRaneySRO.com Official web site