|Birth name||Son Sue-Kyung|
|Born||January 27, 1985
South Korea, Seoul
|Genres||Classical, Classical crossover, Rock, EDM|
|Labels||Universal Music, Daeum Entertainment|
|Associated acts||Vanessa Mae, YB, Dynamic Duo|
Son Sue-Kyung (Hangul: 손수경), better known by her stage name Sue Son, is a South Korean classical and crossover violinist, raised in the United Kingdom and based in Seoul. She studied at London's Royal College of Music and debuted in South Korea with her album I Am in August 2012 on Universal Music.
Born in Seoul, Son Sue-Kyung began playing violin at the age of six, in order to be different to her piano playing elder sister, Hee Kyung. She moved to Colchester, England with her family at age 9, during the third year of elementary school, and went on to study, at the prestigious, Purcell School and London's Royal College of Music, but left as she found it too traditional, preferring to explore other styles of music.
Sue Son first came to public attention after auditioning for the third series of U.K. talent show Britain's Got Talent, helmed by Simon Cowell. She performed as a duo called Addicted with keyboardist and friend Janine Khalil, but were initially rejected. Invited back to perform solo, she gave a performance of Vanessa Mae's Storm on electric violin, impressing judges Piers Morgan and Amanda Holden as well as Simon Cowell himself, who described her performance as "Phenonmenal."
Son then made a number of TV appearances in South Korea, including on Arirang's Heart to Heart talk show, KBS show Every Morning and on August 15, 2009, on SBS's popular TV Show Star King alongside Jo Kwon of 2AM.
Son was then chosen as an ambassador for the Seoul Tourism Organization, performing at the Annual Association Congress 2010 at London's Riverbank and at the Seoul MICE Industry Networking Concert ‘Seoul on the Move’ in Bangkok, Thailand. She would go on to perform again for the Seoul Tourism Organization in Las Vegas for 'Seoul Style' in October 2012.
After a year of performing at various events around the UK, Son then returned to the South Korea permanently to work on her debut material. In July 2011 her first single I Wish topped the country's crossover charts. She also became a frequent guest on Mnet's music show, Yoon Do Hyun's Must.
Son performed live at the opening of the Mnet Asian Music Awards, MAMA 2011 on November 29 at Singapore Indoor Stadium. Her performance of It Burns was a collaboration with Dynamic Duo, Simon-D and YB.
Sue Son's debut album I Am Son Sue Kyung was released on August 29, 2012, featuring a range of classical, rock and pop music. Guest artists included Son Seung Yeon, Hip-Hop act Dynamic Duo and Hip-Hop trio Phantom.
- I Wish (2011)
- I AM (2012)
- "Semifinalist on Britain's Got Talent Releases Debut Album". The Chosun Ilbo. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Robert Michael Poole (2011-09-15). "Profile: Sue Son gears up for her debut album". CNN. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- Cho Jae-eun (2011-08-15). "Reality TV star Sue Son set to take Korea by storm". HanCinema. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- Paul Revoir (2009-05-02). "'Britain's Got Talent cost me my best friend', says Sue Son, the violinist who stormed to the semi-finals". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2012-09-24.
- "Sue Son on Star King". allkpop. 2009-08-15. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- Cho Jae-eun (2011-08-17). "Reality TV star Sue Son set to take Korea by storm". JoongAng Daily. Retrieved 2012-12-06.