Suelette Dreyfus is an Australian-American technology journalist and researcher, and author of the 1997 book Underground: Hacking, Madness and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier. The book describes the exploits of a group of Australian, American, and British hackers during the late 1980s and early 1990s, among them Julian Assange, who is credited as researcher for the book. In 2011, a new edition of the book was published, with updated chapters. Underground has been translated into seven other languages.
In 2009 she was described by Wired magazine as being on the Wikileaks advisory board.
Dreyfus was also associate producer for the documentary In the Realm of the Hackers, inspired by Underground, in 2003. She has been a contributor to The Independent and The Age, as well as to radio programs like the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Late Night Live with Philip Adams. She trained and worked as a staff reporter on a daily newspaper in Australia.
Dreyfus is a researcher in the Department of Computing and Information Systems at the University of Melbourne. She was the Principal Researcher on an international survey on the impact of digital technologies on whistleblowing begun in 2012. Dreyfus is described as having particular interest in digital whistleblowing, health informatics, computer security and organisational change.
- Lagan, Bernard. "The truth leaks out". Melbourne: The Age. Retrieved 10 April 2010.
- Symington, Annabel. "Exposed: Wikileaks' secrets". Wired UK. Retrieved 1 September 2009.
- "Suelette Dreyfus". IMDb.
- See: Kee, K., Knott, J.C., Dreyfus, S., Lederman, R., Milton, S, Joe, K. 2012. "One hundred tasks an hour: An observational study of emergency department consultant activities". Emergency Medicine Australasia, Vol 24 (3) pp 294–302. Retrieved 11 June 2012; Pang, F. R Sharma, R Lederman, S Dreyfus 2011. "Organisational Culture and Organisational Impacts of Information Systems: A Review of the Empirical Literature". Proceedings of 21st Australasian Conference on Information Systems, Brisbane, Australia; Dreyfus, S., Lederman, R., Smith P., Monagle, P. (2011) "Customising pathology report design for patient use". Electronic Journal of Health Informatics. Vol 6, No. 2.
- "About the World Online Whistleblowing Survey". Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Find An Expert: Profiling the University of Melbourne's Researchers". University of Melbourne. Retrieved 12 March 2010.
- Underground: Hacking, Madness and Obsession on the Electronic Frontier (Archived at WebCite)
- Works by Suelette Dreyfus at Project Gutenberg
- Works by or about Suelette Dreyfus in libraries (WorldCat catalog)
|This Australian journalist biography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|