Suffield Township, Portage County, Ohio
|Suffield Township, Portage County, Ohio|
Location within Portage County
|• Total||24.7 sq mi (64.0 km2)|
|• Land||22.9 sq mi (59.4 km2)|
|• Water||1.8 sq mi (4.7 km2)|
|Elevation||1,181 ft (360 m)|
|• Density||278.5/sq mi (107.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||330, 234|
|GNIS feature ID||1086841|
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships and municipalities:
- Brimfield Township - north
- Rootstown Township - northeast corner
- Randolph Township - east
- Lake Township, Stark County - south
- Mogadore - northwest
- Springfield Township, Summit County - west
- Tallmadge - northwest corner
Part of the village of Mogadore is located on land that was formerly part of northwestern Suffield Township.
Formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve, Suffield Township covers an area of 24 sq mi (62 km2).
- Flatiron Lake Bog preserve (a 97-acre (390,000 m2) kettle hole bog formed about 12,000 years ago; maintained by The Nature Conservancy)
Name and history
It is the only Suffield Township statewide.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Portage County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.