Sugar Princess volume 2 as published by Hakusensha under the Hana to Yume Comics imprint featuring Shun Kanou (left) and Maya Kurinoki (right).
|Written by||Hisaya Nakajo|
|English publisher||Viz Media|
|Magazine||Hana to Yume|
|Original run||February 5, 2005 – December 19, 2007|
Sugar Princess (シュガープリンセス Shugā Purisensu?) is a Japanese shōjo manga series by Hisaya Nakajo. The series premiered in the 5th issue of Hana to Yume in 2005 and ended in the 2nd issue of 2007. The series was licensed in English by Viz Media.
Her first time ice skating, Maya unknowingly makes a big impression on a mysterious man. She may end up with a chance to figure skate professionally, not to mention get closer to the cold figure skater, Shun.
- Maya Kurinoki
- The heroine of the story. Maya is in her 3rd year of middle school. In the first chapter, she makes an impression on a skating coach when she imitates a double axel. Besides falling down, she did the jump perfectly. She calls Shun "Kira-Kira Prince" when she first sees him because of the beautiful way he skates, but when he meets her, he's rather rude and cold towards her. He refuses to become her trainer. Maya starts developing feelings for Shun after a while, and when offered to be Shun's partner, she states she doesn't mind, as long as Shun is fine with it. She has 2 elder sisters (Ema and Maasa) and a younger brother (Ryuuta).
- Shun Kanou
- The lead male character. Shun is in his 2nd year of High School [equivalent to 11th grade in America].He's a professional skater, and Maya's trainer and skating partner. At first, he refuses to be Maya's partner and trainer, but when they're both set up to save the rink, he becomes her "temporary" partner. He doesn't want to have a partner because when his previous partner and sister, Aya, died, he doesn't want to replace her.
- Eiji Todou
- The man who Maya makes an impression on. He scouts her at the local skating rink, and tries to make her and Shun skating partners.
He has a niece who is seen in the first chapter.
- A "prince". He's a professional skater who skates at another rink nearby, and Maya takes a liking to his ways of skating. She visits his rink and skates with him, to Shun's annoyance.
- A professional skater. She's in love with Shun, and wants to be his new skating partner. When Maya starts getting a bit too close to him, she tells her off, comparing her to his late sister.
- Attends the same ice rink Shun and Maaya does. He's in 6th grade, and close friends with both Maya and Shun.
Nanako and Chie
- Maaya's best friends. They first mistake Todou for a pervert and accompany her to the ice rink.
- Shun's best friend from school. He's taken a friendly interest in Maya and notices the change in Shun since he became Maya's trainer.
- "Viz to Print Cat Eyed Boy, Black Lagoon, Tanemura Works". Anime News Network. 2008-01-24. Retrieved 2009-05-17.
- Aoki, Deb. "Sugar Princess: Skating to Win Volume 1". About.com.
- Ellingwood, Holly (14 Oct 2008). "Sugar Princess Vol. 1". activeAnime.
- Campbell, Scott (20 Oct 2008). "Sugar Princess Vol. 2 (Advanced Review)". activeAnime.
- Douresseaux, Leroy (2 Aug 2008). "Sugar Princess: Volume 1". Comic Book Bin.
- Douresseaux, Leroy (30 Oct 2008). "Sugar Princess: Volume 2". Comic Book Bin.
- Carlson, Johanna Draper (29 Nov 2008). "Viz Debut Chibis: Heaven’s Will, Mixed Vegetables, Sugar Princess". Manga Worth Reading.
- MacFarlane, Ysabet Reinhardt (8 Jul 2008). "Sugar Princess v1". Manga Life. Archived from the original on 17 Jul 2008.
- MacFarlane, Ysabet Reinhardt. "Sugar Princess v2". Manga Life. Archived from the original on 5 Jan 2009.
- Eries, Sakura (26 Aug 2008). "Sugar Princess Vol. #01". Mania.
- Dacey, Katherine (22 Sep 2008). "Manga Minis, 9/22/08: Sugar Princess: Skating to Win, Vol. 1". Pop Culture Shock.
- "Fiction Reviews". Publishers Weekly. 30 Jun 2008. Archived from the original on 28 Jul 2008.
- Duff, Alexandra (23 Nov 2008). "Sugar Princess: Skating to Win Vol. 2". Sequential Tart.