||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013)|
Suhasini Mulay in December 2009
|Born||November 20, 1950
Patna, Bihar, India
|Years active||1969 – present|
|Spouse(s)||Atul Gurtu (January 16, 2011-present)|
Suhasini Mulay (born November 20, 1950) is an Indian actress in Bollywood and Marathi films as well as television. She won National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress in 1999, for her performance in Gulzar's film Hu Tu Tu.
Early life and education
Suhasini was born in Patna where she spent the early part of her childhood. She lost her father when she was only three and was brought up by her mother, Vijaya Mulay. She was attracted toward films because of her.
In 1965 she was chosen by Pears Soap to be its model. It was this ad film which caught Mrinal Sen's attention and he signed her for Bhuvan Shome (1969).
Though Bhuvan Shome proved to be a milestone in Indian cinema, Suhasini did not pursue acting as a career. Instead she enrolled at the prestigious McGill University in Montreal, Canada for a course in agricultural technology with specialization in soil chemistry and microbiology. She also obtained a degree in mass communication, and majored in film, radio, TV, journalism and print from the same university.
Suhasini returned to India in 1975 and worked as an assistant to Satyajit Ray in the Bengali film Jana Aranya. Later she joined Mrinal Sen as an assistant director in Mrigaya. Since then, she has been actively producing films and has made over 60 documentaries. She achieved national awards for four of them.
Almost 30 years after Bhuvan Shome, she made a great comeback to mainstream Bollywood cinema, through Gulzar's Hu Tu Tu for which she received another national award as the best supporting actress. She has been playing mother roles in Bollywood since then. She had worked in Jaane Kya Baat Hui, a television serial.
- Club 60 (2013) ...... Mrs. Mansukhani
- Rang Rasiya / Colors Of Passion (January 2009) (Under Production)
- Bits And Pieces (2009) (Under Production)
- Tumhare Liye (2009) (Under Production)
- The White Land (2009) (Under Production)
- 13B Mother in Serial
- Chamku (29 August 2008)
- My Friend Ganesha 2 (22 August 2008)
- Jodhaa Akbar (15 February 2008) ...... Rani Padmawati
- Mithya (8 February 2008)
- Speed (19 October 2007)
- Dhamaal (7 September 2007) Landlord
- Big Brother (13 April 2007)
- Hope and a Little Sugar (2006) ...... Mrs. Oberoi
- Naksha (8 September 2006)
- Yun Hota Toh Kya Hota (21 July 2006) ...... Namrata
- Humko Tumse Pyaar Hai (24 February 2006) ...... Durga's Mother
- Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi (23 December 2005) ...... Dadi
- Sitam (18 November 2005)
- Sehar (29 July 2005) ...... Prabha Kumar
- Page 3 (21 January 2005)
- Hanan (2005) (Completed, not released)
- Hum Kaun Hai (3 September 2004) ...... Anita
- Khel (3 October 2003) ...... Dadi
- Kuch Naa Kaho (5 September 2003) ...... Dr. Malhotra (Raj's Mother)
- Baaz: A Bird in Danger (7 February 2003)
- Deewangee (25 October 2002) ...... Judge
- Humraaz (5 July 2002) ...... Dadima (Raj's Grandmother)
- Filhaal (1 February 2002)
- Yeh Teraa Ghar Yeh Meraa Ghar (12 October 2001) ...... Paresh Rawal's Sister
- Dil Chahta Hai (10 August 2001) ...... Sid's Mother
- Lagaan: Once Upon A Time In India (15 June 2001) ...... Yashodamai
- Hu Tu Tu (22 January 1999) ...... Malti Bai
- Shatranj (17 December 1993) ...... Mrs. Usha D. Verma
- Love (15 November 1991) ...... Prithvi'S Mom //Wrong Entry
- Sadak Chhap (24 July 1987)
- Aparoopa (1982)......... As lead character Aparoopa
- Ramnagari Ram Nagarkar's wife
- Bhuvan Shome (1969) ...... Gauri
Awards and nominations
- Chaldi Da Naam Gaddi
- Jabb Love Hua
- Piya Ka Ghar
- Jaane Kya Baat Hui
- Tithir Atithi
- Princess Dollie Aur Uska Magic Bag
- Geet Hui Sabse Payare (Star One) (Maan's grandmother)
- Dil Se Diya Vachan
- "Kya Mast Hai Life" (TV show on Disney Channel)
- Hum- Ek Chote Gaon Ki Badi Kahani (Retelecasting and remake of Hum Log)
- Devon Ke Dev...Mahadev (Parvati's grandmother)
- Hongey Judaa Na Hum (Aniruddh's grandmother)
- Desh Ki Beti Nandini (Rajveer's grandmother)
- The Times of India (bollywood)
- "Quest for creativity". The Tribune. November 24, 2002.
- Interview with actor Suhasini Mulay indiantelevision.com, 20 March 2003.
- SUHASINI MULAY ... just begun' South Asian, February 20, 2003.
- Shah, Kunal M Shah (Mar 11, 2011). "Suhasini Mulay ties the knot at 60". The Times of India.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Suhasini Mulay.|