Suicide Prevention Action Network USA
||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guidelines for companies and organizations. (December 2013)|
|Founded||August 19, 1996|
|Founder||Gerald and Elsie Weyrauch|
|Focus||Advancing the public policy response to suicide in America|
|Origins||Founded following the death by suicide of the Weyrauch's 34-year-old daughter, Terri.|
|Jerry Reed, Executive Director
Brian Altman, Director of Public Policy & Program Development
Jason Padgett, Field Development Coordinator
|Slogan||"Opening Minds. Changing Policy. Saving Lives."|
The Suicide Prevention Action Network USA (SPAN USA) is a 501(c)(3) organization that was founded in 1996 by Gerald and Elsie Weyrauch, whose 34-year-old daughter, Terri, died by suicide. SPAN USA is "dedicated to preventing suicide through public education and awareness, community action and federal, state and local grassroots advocacy."[this quote needs a citation]
SPAN's theme is "Opening Minds. Changing Policy. Saving Lives."
The Suicide Prevention Action Network USA (SPAN USA) is the nation's only suicide prevention organization dedicated to leveraging grassroots support among suicide survivors (those who have lost a loved one to suicide) and others to advance public policies that help prevent suicide. The organization was created to raise awareness, build political will, and call for action with regard to creating, advancing, implementing and evaluating a national strategy to address suicide in the United States. Since the organization was founded, grassroots volunteers and staff have worked in communities, state capitols and in Washington, DC to advance its public policy response to the problem of suicide in America. In 2009, SPAN merged with American Foundation for Suicide Prevention to create a public policy program.
Vision, Mission, and Values
The Suicide Prevention Action Network USA (SPAN USA) envisions a world where suicide prevention is embraced as a public priority by all members of society, where people touched by suicide are supported, and where communities link awareness with action in order to save lives.
SPAN USA is dedicated to preventing suicide through public education and awareness, community engagement, and federal, state and local grassroots advocacy. By empowering those who have been touched by suicide, SPAN USA seeks to advance the implementation of the National Strategy for Suicide Prevention.
SPAN USA believes in:
Brian Altman, JD, Director of Public Policy & Program Development
Jerussia Smith, Administrative Assistant/Bookeeper
2009 SPAN USA Public Policy Priorities
SPAN USA's 2009 Federal Public Policy Priorities:
- Funding for the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act programs
- Reauthorization of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- Veterans and Military Suicide Prevention
- Additional funding for the National Violent Death Reporting System (NVDRS)
- Support Evidence-Based Suicide Prevention Research Projects at the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)
2009 State Public Policy Priorities:
- Establish and authorize funding for a statewide office of suicide prevention that includes at least one full-time position and directs its efforts across the life span.
- Adoption by state mental health licensing boards of suicide prevention continuing education requirements.
- Adoption of state laws that require educational personnel to receive suicide prevention training.