Suicide of Audrie Pott
Audrie Pott, sometimes called Audrey Pott in the media, a 15-year-old student attending Saratoga High School, California, committed suicide by hanging on September 12, 2012. She had been sexually assaulted by three teenage boys at a party eight days earlier and pictures of the assault were posted online with accompanying bullying.
Pott's suicide and the circumstances surrounding it have been compared to the suicide of Rehtaeh Parsons, a young woman in Canada, appearing to show highly similar characteristics. New laws are being considered as a result of these events.
In early September 2012, Pott reportedly went to party with about 10 other teenagers who were allegedly drunk. It is alleged that three or more of these teenagers raped Pott. During the assault, photographs were taken and distributed via social network and SMS. In the following days, Pott reported being bullied by those who saw the photographs. On September 12, 2012, Pott killed herself by hanging.
In April 2013, three sixteen-year-old boys were arrested in northern California on suspicion of sexual battery to Pott. Pott's parents also filed a lawsuit against the three teenagers, and in July 2013 they added a fifteen-year-old girl as a defendant in the suit, alleging she was present during the assault and later lied about it to help cover it up.
Juvenile court case
Three teenage boys admitted in juvenile court to sexually assaulting and possessing photos of Audrie Pott, both felonies. Two of the three received 30-day sentences to be served on weekends. The other was sentenced to 45 consecutive days. Because of their ages, the three teenagers have not been publicly identified.
- Cyberstalking legislation
- Harassment by computer
- Steubenville High School rape case
- Torrington High School rape case
- "Three 16-year-old boys are charged in ANOTHER tragic web 'sexual assault' suicide: Teens arrested after girl, 15 killed herself when they 'posted photos of her ordeal online'". Daily Mail (London). 12 April 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "U.S. teen's death eerily similar to Rehtaeh Parsons's story - Nova Scotia - CBC News". CBC News. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 12 April 2013.
- "3 U.S. teens arrested for sexual battery after girl's suicide - World - CBC News". CBC News. 12 April 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Audrie Pott Suicide: Top 10 Facts You Need to Know". Heavy. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Reports: 3 teens admit assaulting NorCal girl who later killed herself". CBSNews.com. January 16, 2014. Retrieved January 16, 2014.