Sullivan & Son
|Sullivan & Son|
|Created by||Steve Byrne
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||33 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Wild West Picture Show Productions
Warner Horizon Television
|Picture format||1080i (16:9 HDTV)|
|Original run||July 19, 2012– present|
Sullivan & Son is an American comedy television series created by Steve Byrne and Rob Long that is broadcast on TBS. It stars Byrne as Steve Sullivan, who surprises his parents when he leaves his job as a corporate lawyer to take over a bar owned by his father in Pittsburgh. The series is executive-produced by Vince Vaughn, Peter Billingsley and Long, who also serves as showrunner. It premiered on July 19, 2012.
The series centers on Steve Sullivan (Steve Byrne), a corporate attorney from New York City who visits his Irish American father Jack (Dan Lauria) and Korean mother Ok Cha (Jodi Long) just as they are preparing to sell their bar in a Pittsburgh working-class neighborhood and retire. To their surprise, he decides to stay and run the bar. The bar is a popular venue among the locals, and is the unofficial "town hall" of the neighborhood.
Cast and characters
- Steve Byrne as Steve Sullivan, a half Irish and half Korean lawyer who leaves his job to take over his parents' bar in Pittsburgh.
- Dan Lauria as Jack Sullivan, Steve's father.
- Jodi Long as Ok Cha Sullivan, Steve's mother.
- Owen Benjamin as Owen Walsh, a dopey and unemployed childhood friend of Steve's.
- Brian Doyle-Murray as Hank Murphy, a regular at the bar.
- Christine Ebersole as Carol Walsh, a regular at the bar and Owen's mother.
- Vivian Bang as Susan Sullivan, Steve's younger sister.
- Valerie Azlynn as Melanie Sutton, an EMT and love interest of Steve.
- Roy Wood, Jr. as Roy Williams, Jr., a bar regular and childhood friend of Steve and Owen.
- Ahmed Ahmed as Ahmed Nassar, a tow truck driver, bar regular and childhood friend of Steve and Owen.
- Brian Scolaro as Doug, a bar regular (season 1).
- Jesus Trejo as Javier, a bar regular.
- Joshua David Gray as Father Perry, a bar regular.
- Billy Gardell as Lyle Winkler, Steve's rival.
- John Michael Higgins as Gary Barton
- Ken Jeong as Jason, Susan's overachieving MD husband.
- Charles Shaughnessy as Darryl
- Kunal Nayyar as Sanjay/Neal
- Brad Keselowski as himself
- Ellen Woglom as Nicolette
Special guest stars
- Chris D'Elia as Ryan Capps
- Will Sasso as Robert Sherman
- Kerri Kenney-Silver as Jo Sullivan, Jack's con-artist sister.
- Brian George as Amun Nassar, Ahmed's father.
- George Wallace as Leroy Williams, Roy's father.
- Ted McGinley as Eugene Casternakie
- Ryan Miller as himself
- Pat Sajak as himself
- Frank Caliendo as Ralph
- Mo Collins as Lilly
- Catherine Reitman as April
- Loretta Devine as Rose, Roy's mother.
- Bryan Callen as Paul
- Margaret Cho as Jenny, Ok Cha's niece.
|Season||Episodes||Originally aired||DVD release dates|
|Season premiere||Season finale||Region 1||Region 2||Region 4|
|1||10||July 19, 2012||September 13, 2012||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|2||10||June 13, 2013||August 22, 2013||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|3||13||June 24, 2014||September 9, 2014||TBA||TBA||TBA|
Sullivan & Son was ordered to pilot by cable channel TBS on September 30, 2011. It was among three half-hour pilots being considered by the channel, the others being Men at Work and BFF. TBS had been developing comedies that could be paired with reruns of The Big Bang Theory. After greenlighting Men at Work to series in January 2012, TBS was to choose between Sullivan & Son and BFF to fill its new hour-long comedy slot. On February 10, 2012, TBS picked up Sullivan & Son to series with a ten-episode order with a premiere date set for summer 2012.
The pilot was written by Steve Byrne and Rob Long with Byrne in the starring role. Valerie Azlynn, Jodi Long, Vivian Bang, Owen Benjamin, and Dan Lauria were added to the cast in October. The show is filmed in front of a live studio audience. TBS announced that it had renewed Sullivan & Son for a second season of 10 more episodes that premiered on June 13, 2013. It was announced on August 20, 2013, that TBS has renewed the series for a 13 episode third season that premiered in June 2014.
|Season||Timeslot (ET/PT)||No. Ep.||Premiered||Ended||TV Season||Viewers
- West, Kelly (March 20, 2012). "TBS Sets Premiere Dates For Men At Work And Sullivan & Son". Cinema Blend. Retrieved April 12, 2012.
- Bierly, Mandi (2012-02-10). "TBS greenlights Vince Vaughn-produced comedy starring Steve Byrne". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2012-02-10). "TBS Picks Up 'Sullivan And Son' To Series". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Weisman, Jon (2012-02-10). "TBS greenlights 'Sullivan and Son'". Variety. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-09-30). "TBS Orders Pilot Starring Comedian Steve Byrne And Produced By Vince Vaughn". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Owen, Rob (2012-02-10). "TBS grabs 'Sullivan and Son,' a fun portrait of Pittsburgh". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Goldberg, Lesley (2012-02-10). "TBS Orders Vince Vaughn-Steve Byrne Comedy to Series". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-10-24). "Quartet Cast In TBS Comedy Pilot 'Sullivan And Son' Produced By Vince Vaughn". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Andreeva, Nellie (2011-10-24). "Cable Pilot Castings: Dan Lauria To Star In ‘Sullivan & Son’, Austin Butler In 'Intercept'". Deadline.com. Retrieved 2012-02-11.
- Bibel, Sara (September 4, 2012). "'Sullivan & Son' Renewed by TBS". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved September 4, 2012.
- Kondolojy, Amanda (August 20, 2013). "'Sullivan and Son', 'Men At Work' & 'Deal With It' Renewed by TBS". TV by the Numbers.
- "Sullivan & Son". Metacritic. 2012-08-18.
- Official website
- Sullivan & Son at the Internet Movie Database
- Sullivan and Son: Behind The Bar is the official podcast of the show. Hosted by show writer Caleb Bacon.