Sulphur Creek Reservoir
|Sulphur Creek Reservoir|
|Location||Laguna Niguel, California|
|Primary inflows||Sulphur Creek|
|Basin countries||United States|
|Surface area||44 acres (18 ha)|
|Surface elevation||190 ft (58 m)|
Sulphur Creek Reservoir (also called Laguna Niguel Lake) is an artificial 44-acre (180,000 m2) fishing and recreational lake in Laguna Niguel, California. It is created by the Sulphur Creek Dam, which was completed in 1966. It is located at and is 190 feet (58 m) above sea level. It is fed from two sources, one of which is Sulphur Creek itself and the other, a storm drain. It is accessed from La Paz Road, which runs along its east shore. Surrounding the reservoir is the Laguna Niguel Regional Park. In addition, within the lake on the large island is a protected bird sanctuary.
There is a fee to access the park and lake which costs $3 on weekdays, $5 on weekends, and $7 on holidays.
Laguna Niguel Lake is a very popular rainbow trout fishing location during the season (November–April). The lake became famous within the fishing community for stocking "wild raised" Utah "Hook-Jaws" exceeding sizes of 15 pounds (6.8 kg). As of November 2007 the lake stopped stocking these Utah trout and instead received their stockings from the Mt. Lassen fish hatchery. The lake has recently received new operators who are bringing back these famous Utah raised Rainbow Trout come November 2010.[dated info] The limit for trout is 5 fish per stringer, and no trout may be released unless caught on barbless artificials or flies only. Additional fish may be kept with another fishing permit purchase. The current lake trout record is 15.5 pounds (7.0 kg) caught by Dan Ingouf.
The lake is owned by Orange County, and is leased out to Rick Mendoza – one of the original operators – and Darren Colbert who are in charge of the fishing and concession.
- "Sulphur Creek Reservoir". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- "Sulphur Creek Reservoir Fishing in Orange County, California". Fishing Works. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- Map of Sulphur Creek Reservoir (Map). Google Maps. Retrieved 2008-07-28.
- "HBP Strategic Plan Laguna Niguel Regional Park" (PDF). Orange County Parks. Orange County. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "Laguna Niguel Regional Park". Orange County Parks. Orange County. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- Laguna Niguel Lake – Concessionaire