Sultan Azlan Shah Airport
|Sultan Azlan Shah Airport|
|IATA: IPH – ICAO: WMKI|
|Owner||Government of Malaysia|
|Operator||Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad|
|Location||Ipoh, Perak, West Malaysia|
|Time zone||MST (UTC+08:00)|
|Elevation AMSL||130 ft / 40 m|
|Passenger change 11–12||3.1%|
|Movements change 11–12||1.4%|
|Source: official web site
Originally a small Fokker airfield, it steadily expanded to accommodate jet operations. The then new airport terminal was readied in time for Queen Elizabeth II's visit to the Royal Town of Kuala Kangsar in 1989. The airport then was bustling with passengers when Malaysia Airlines was operating from Subang. When the North-South Expressway opened, many people started using cars and Malaysia Airlines followed by Air Asia stopped their services, turning the airport into a white elephant. Since the introduction of the electric trains which go right into the city centre of Kuala Lumpur, Ipoh Airport had to seriously reconsider its strategy. The runway was extended to 2,000 meters yet declared unsafe on Dec 2013 as there are potholes, only propeller planes can land.
Airlines and destinations
|Firefly||Johor Bahru (begins 15 September 2014), Singapore|
The government realised that the airport could no longer be extended due to its location near residential areas. The Government then planned a new airport in Seri Iskandar. In late 2008, they replanned it to be located in Batang Padang, near Tapah. They discussed that Firefly and AirAsia will start operations there. The site area is 1,600 ha.
There was an upgrade that was started in April 2011 and was completed in November 2012. The upgrade included extending the runway by 200m and the apron to accommodate the B737 and A320 aircraft.The old terminal was demolished and a new modern terminal was constructed. Among the features of the new terminal includes wider and more spacious departure and arrival halls, full air-conditioning throughout the terminal for the comfort of passengers and increased capacity of the terminal.
Traffic and statistics
- Sultan Azlan Shah Airport at Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- WMKI – IPOH/IPOH SULTAN AZLAN SHAH at Department of Civil Aviation Malaysia
- What is happening to Ipoh Airport? | Ipoh Echo (Archives). Ipoh Echo (1 May 2011).
- Malaysian, The. (6 April 2014) RM45 million wasted in Ipoh airport upgrade as potholes prevent bigger aircraft landings – MSN Malaysia News. News.malaysia.msn.com.
- Tigerair plans to expand network in Malaysia – Business News. The Star (4 July 2013).
- Ipoh airport eyeing flights from Xiamen – Nation. The Star (23 May 2013).
- Zambry Checks Out Ipoh Airport | Ipoh Echo (Archives). Ipoh Echo (15 January 2013).
- "MAHB Annual Report 2012". MAHB. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
- Sultan Azlan Shah Airport, Ipoh at Malaysia Airports Holdings Berhad
- Location Map of Sultan Azlah Shah Airport
- Current weather for WMKI at NOAA/NWS
- Accident history for IPH at Aviation Safety Network
- New Ipoh Airport Strategy,NST Online,17/03/2010