Azlan Shah of Perak
|Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah|
|Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia|
|Reign||26 April 1989 – 25 April 1994|
|Predecessor||Iskandar of Johor|
|Successor||Jaafar of Negeri Sembilan|
|Reign||3 February 1984-present|
|Predecessor||Idris Shah II of Perak|
|Raja Nazrin Shah
Raja Dato’ Seri Azureen
Raja Dato’ Seri Ashman Shah
Raja Yong Sofia
|Father||Sultan Yusuff Izzuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Abdul Jalil Nasshirruddin al-Makhtarram karamatullah Shah|
|Mother||Toh Puan Dewangsa Khadijah binti Ahmad|
19 April 1928 |
Batu Gajah, Perak, Federated Malay States, British Malaya
|Perak Royal Family|
HRH The Sultan
Azlan Muhibbuddin, GCB, KStJ (born 19 April 1928) is the current Sultan of Perak. He was the ninth Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia from 26 April 1989 to 25 April 1994. A lawyer by profession, he served as a judge, and the Lord President of the Federal Court before becoming the Sultan of Perak.
Raja Azlan Shah (as he was then known) was born on 19 April 1928 in Batu Gajah, Perak. A child of Sultan Yusuf Izzuddin Shah ibni Almarhum Sultan Abdul Jalil Nasshirruddin al-Makhtarram karamatullah Shah (reigned 1948–1963) by his commoner wife (later divorced) Toh Puan Dewangsa Khadijah binti Ahmad, the young Raja Azlan Shah was brought up by his mother outside royal circles.
Raja Azlan's early education was at Government English School, Batu Gajah now known as SMK Sultan Yussuf. He continued his higher education at the prestigious Malay College Kuala Kangsar. He went to study law at the University of Nottingham where he obtained the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1953, and was admitted to the English Bar by the Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn on 23 November 1954.
As he had elder brothers who outranked him in the order of succession, he was trained for the legal service.
On his return from the United Kingdom, he first served as the Assistant State Secretary of Perak. Thereafter, he joined the Judicial and Legal Service of the Federation of Malaya where he served as a First Class Magistrate and as a Sessions Court president. Subsequently Raja Azlan was appointed to the following offices: Federal Counsel and Deputy Public Prosecutor, Legal Adviser of the State of Pahang and later of Johor, Registrar of the High Court in Malaya and Chief Registrar of the Federal Court of Malaysia.
In 1965, at the age of only thirty-seven years, Raja Azlan was elevated to the Bench of the High Court of Malaya being the youngest judge to be appointed in the Commonwealth. In 1973, he was made a Federal Court judge and six years later in 1979, Chief Justice of Malaya, an office which he held until his appointment as the youngest-ever Lord President of the Federal Court of Malaysia on 12 November 1982.
By a strange twist of fate, Raja Azlan Shah was installed Raja Muda (Crown Prince) of Perak by his uncle, Sultan Idris Almutawakkil Alallahi Shah II on 1 July 1983. The long reign of that Sultan had taken its toll on Raja Azlan Shah's elder brothers. In that year, his only surviving elder brother, Raja Baharom Shah, refused the office of Crown Prince and Raja Azlan Shah was suddenly heir to the throne.
Within six months, Sultan Idris died and Azlan Shah succeeded to the throne of Perak on 3 February 1984. In April 1989, Sultan Azlan Shah became the ninth Yang di-Pertuan Agong of Malaysia. He served the full five year term and returned as Sultan of Perak in 1994.
Sultan Azlan Shah married a commoner from Penang, former teacher Bainun binti Mohamad Ali. She is styled as Her Royal Highness The Raja Permaisuri (Queen) of Perak, Tuanku Bainun Binti Mohd. Ali, D.K., D.M.N..
When Sultan Azlan Shah became Yang di-Pertuan Agong, she became the first ever commoner Raja Permaisuri Agong in the history of Malaysia. The couple were the first monarchs of Malaysia to be installed on new gilded silver thrones, replacing the wooden ancient thrones used between 1957 to 1994.
The royal couple have five children, two princes and three princesses. The eldest is Raja Nazrin Shah, who is also Raja Muda (Crown Prince) of Perak. The others are Raja Dato’ Seri Azureen, Raja Dato’ Seri Ashman Shah, Raja Eleena and Raja Yong Sofia.
Raja Ashman Shah died on March 30, 2012.
|Ancestors of Azlan Shah of Perak|
2009 Perak constitutional crisis
In early 2009, he attracted heavy criticism for his involvement in the toppling of the Pakatan Rakyat state government, which led to the Perak Constitutional Crisis. His decision was subsequently reversed by the Kuala Lumpur High Court, which ruled that the Sultan was not constitutionally permitted to dismiss the Menteri Besar. However, upon appeal by Dato' Dr.Zambry bin Abd Kadir, Court of Appeal has reversed the decision made by the High Court on ground of the learned judge had wrongly interpreted relevant articles in Perak State Constitution which gives absolute discretionary power for the Sultan to withholding consent dissolution of State Legislative Assembly. It is also in view of the Court of Appeal, that the Sultan was correct to refuse dissolution of the assembly and directed Nizar to resign as he had lost the majority of confidence in assembly. The decision by Court of Appeal subsequently upheld unanimously by the five-man Bench of Federal Court on 10 February 2010 which declared Dato' Seri Dr Zambry as the rightful Perak Menteri Besar.
Among the positions Azlan Shah has held are Pro-Chancellor of Universiti Sains Malaysia ( 4 October 1971 - February 1984), Chairman of the Higher Education Advisory Council ( 1 November 1974 – 31 October 1976), and Chancellor of the University of Malaya ( 8 February 1986 to date).
Sultan Azlan has also been recognised by several foreign universities:
- University of Nottingham, Honorary Doctor of Law, 11 July 1986
- Honourable Society of Lincoln's Inn, Honorary Bencher, 1988
- Universitas Gajah Mada, Jogjakarta, Indonesia, Honorary Doctor of Law, 28 September 1990
- Universiti Brunei Darussalam, Honorary Doctor of Law, 30 October 1990
- Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand, Honorary Doctor of Law, 19 December 1990.
- Royal College of Physicians of Ireland, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, Honorary Fellow, 2 October 1991
- Royal College of Surgeons of England, Honorary Fellow, 1999.
Sultan Azlan was President of the Malaysian Hockey Federation until 2005, but remains the President of the Asian Hockey Federation and an Executive Board member of FIH (International Hockey Federation),. He is also an avid golfer, and is the patron of The Royal Perak Golf Club, The Iskandar Polo Club, Ipoh, The Kuala Kangsar Golf Club and The Perak Veteran Hockey Association.
The Sultan Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament is an annual hockey tournament which is played in Kuala Lumpur named after Sultan Azlan Shah.
Sultan Azlan is the Royal Patron of the following student, graduate, professional and charitable clubs and associations, namely:
- The Malaysian Law Society in Great Britain and Éire
- The British Graduates Association of Malaysia
- The Academy of Medicine of Malaysia
- The Rotary Clubs
- The Lions Clubs
- The Royal Ipoh Club
- Sinnadurai, Visu (1988). His Majesty Sultan Azlan Shah: The Yang di-Pertuan Agong IX Malaysia. Kuala Lumpur: The Supreme Court Journal. ISSN 0128-066X. (Special issue of the Supreme Court Journal to commemorate the installation of His Majesty Sultan Azlan Shah as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong IX Malaysia)
- Perak (as Sultan of Perak since 3 February 1984) :
- Grand Master and recipient of the Royal Family Order of Perak (DK, since 3 February 1984)
- Founding Grand Master of the Perak Family Order of Sultan Azlan Shah (2000)
- Founding Grand Master of the Azlanii Royal Family Order (2010)
- Grand Knight (or Datuk Sri, SPCM) and Grand Master (since 1984) of the Order of the Cura Si Manja Kini (Perak Sword of State, SPCM)
- Knight Grand Commander and Grand Master (since 1984) of the Order of the Taming Sari (Perak State Kris, SPTS)
- Knight Grand Commander (or Datuk Sri Paduka) and Grand Master (since 1984) of the Order of the Perak State Crown (SPMP)
- Malaysia (as Yang di-Pertuan Agong from 26 April 1989 to 25 April 1994) :
- Grand Master (1989-1994) and recipient of the Order of the Royal House of Malaysia (D.K.M.)
- Grand Master (1989-1994) and recipient of the Order of the Crown of the Realm (D.M.N.)
- Grand Master (1989-1994) and Knight Commander of the Order of the Defender of the Realm (PMN)
- Commander (PSM, 07/06/1972), Grand Commander (SSM, 1983) and Grand Master (1989-1994) of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia
- Grand Master (1989-1994) of the Order of Merit of Malaysia
- Grand Master(1989-1994) of the Order of the Royal Household of Malaysia
- Johor :
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Johor (DK I)
- Kedah :
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Kedah (DK)
- Kelantan :
- Recipient of the Royal Family Order or Star of Yunus (DK)
- Negeri Sembilan :
- Member of the Royal Family Order of Negeri Sembilan (DKNS)
- Pahang :
- Perlis :
- Recipient of the Perlis Family Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail (DK)
- Selangor :
- First Class of the Royal Family Order of Selangor (DK I, 08/11/1985)
- Terengganu :
- Member first class of the Family Order of Terengganu (DK I, 6.7.1984)
- Austria : Grand Star of the Decoration of Honour for Services to the Republic of Austria (08/04/1992)
- Brunei : Royal Family Order of the Crown of Brunei (DKMB)
- Chile : Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Merit of Chile (1992)
- Germany : Grand Cross Special Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (07/09/1992)
- Indonesia : Star of the Republic of Indonesia, 1st Class (09/1990)
- Japan : Collar of the Order of the Chrysanthemum (30/09/1991)
- Jordan : Collar of the Order of al-Hussein bin Ali 
- Oman : Collar of the Civil Order of Oman, 1st Class (04/12/1991)
- Saudi Arabia : Collar of Badr Chain (7.12.1991)
- South Korea : Grand Order of Mugunghwa (or Supreme Order of Hibiscus)
- Sudan : Collar of the Order of Honor of the Sudan (06/06/1991)
- United Kingdom :
- Thailand : Collar of the Order of the Rajamitrabhorn (09/1990)
- "His Royal Highness Paduka Seri Sultan Perak". Sultan.perak.gov.my. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Asian Hockey Federation :: About Us". Asiahockey.org. 2010-07-01. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "International Hockey Federation : Executive Board". Fih.ch. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- "Dreamwater Free Web Space". 4dw.net. Retrieved 2010-12-04.
- Royal Ark, Perak genealogy details p.16
- List of Malay rulers (as of January 2013) with details of orders
Iskandar of Johor
(Sultan of Johor)
|Yang di-Pertuan Agong
(King of Malaysia)
1989 - 1994
(Yang di-Pertuan Besar
of Negeri Sembilan)
Sultan Idris Al-Mutawakkil Alallahi Shah II
|Sultan of Perak