Mahmud of Terengganu
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2013)|
|Almarhum Sultan Mahmud|
|Sultan of Terengganu (photo)|
|Reign||1979 - 1998|
|Born||29 April 1930|
|Birthplace||Kuala Terengganu, Terengganu|
|Died||14 May 1998 (aged 68)|
|Place of death||Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore|
|Predecessor||Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah|
|Successor||Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin|
|Consort||Sharifa Nong Fatima binti Sayyid Abdullah
Tengku Besar Terengganu
Tengku Ampuan Bariah
Tengku Ampuan Besar Terengganu
|Father||Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah|
|Mother||Tengku Tengah Zaharah|
Almarhum Al-Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah Al-Haj ibni Almarhum Al-Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah Al-Haj was the 16th Sultan of Terengganu from 1979 to 1998.
Sultan Mahmud was born in 29 April 1930 in Kuala Terengganu. He was married to Sharifah Nong Fatima As-Saggoff binti Sayyid Abdullah As-Saggoff and Tengku Ampuan Bariah binti Almarhum Sultan Sir Hisamuddin Alam Shah, sister of late Sultan Selangor, Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah on 1951. He was a cousin to the late Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah of Selangor.
Two years later, his father Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah died in 1979. He was installed as the Sultan of Terengganu in 1981 and Tengku Ampuan Bariah became Tengku Ampuan Besar of Terengganu.
He was a close friend of his advisor Tan Sri Wan Mokhtar Ahmad, the former Menteri Besar (chief minister) of Terengganu from 1974 to 1999. His main goal was to make Terengganu a developed state. Major state projects and developments under his reign including Petronas Petroleum Complex in Kerteh, Sultan Ismail Power Station at Paka the largest power station in Malaysia, Kenyir Dam, Sultan Mahmud Bridge, the bridge linking Kuala Terengganu to Pulau Duyong and Seberang Takir, Wisma Darul Iman and Tengku Tengah Zaharah Mosque (Floating Mosque).
He performed the hadj pilgrimage with Almarhum Sultan Salahuddin of Selangor in 1984.
His favorite hobby was playing golf and photographers. He had taken pictures at every place of interest in the state include the Hotel Primula, Wisma Darul Iman, Istana Maziah, Tengku Tengah Zaharah Mosque (Floating Mosque), Abidin Mosque, Rantau Abang, and many more.
On 14 May 1998, he died in Mount Elizabeth Hospital, Singapore and was replaced by his son Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin. His body was laid to rest in the new Royal Mausoleum near Al-Muktafi Billah Shah Mosque in Kuala Terengganu. He was the first sultan of Terengganu to be buried here.
He was awarded:
Honours of Terengganu
- Supreme Royal Family Order of Terengganu : Founding Grand Master and Member (DKT, 10 March 1981 - 15 May 1998)
- Family Order of Terengganu : First Class (DK I, 26 June 1964) and Grand Master (21 Sept. 1979 - 15 May 1998)
- Order of Sultan Mahmud I of Terengganu : Founding Grand Master and Member Grand Companion (SSMT, 28 Feb. 1982 - 15 May 1998)
- Order of the Crown of Terengganu : Knight Grand Commander (SPMT, 26 June 1977) and Grand Master (21 Sept. 1979 - 15 May 1998)
Honours of Malaysia
- Malaysia : Order of the Crown of the Realm : Recipient (DMN)
- Johor : First Class of the Royal Family Order of Johor (DK, 8 April 1986)
- Kedah : Member of the Royal Family Order of Kedah (DK)
- Kelantan : Member of the Royal Family Order (Kelantan) or Star of Yunus (DK, 30.3.2002)
- Negeri Sembilan : Member of the Royal Family Order of Negeri Sembilan (DKNS, 19.7.2001)
- Pahang : Member 1st class of the Family Order of the Crown of Indra of Pahang (DK I)
- Perak :
- Perlis : Recipient of Perlis Family Order of the Gallant Prince Syed Putra Jamalullail (DK)
- Selangor : First class of the Royal Family Order of Selangor (DK I, 8.3.1978)
- Sarawak :
- Brunei : Royal Family Order of the Crown of Brunei (DKMB)
- United Kingdom :
- Knight of Justice or Grace of the Order of the Hospital of St. John of Jerusalem (KStJ, 20.3.1990)
- Queen Elizabeth II Coron Medal (1953)
Several projects and institutions were named after the Sultan, including:
Buildings, Bridges and Roads
- Sultan Mahmud Al-Muktafi Billah Shah Mosque at Bandar Al-Muktafi Billah Shah
- Al-Muktafi Billah Shah Mosque at Kuala Terengganu
- Sultan Mahmud Bridge and Sultan Mahmud Bridge Highway (Jalan Tengku Mizan) on Federal Route at Kuala Terengganu
- Jalan Sultan Mahmud on Federal Route at Kuala Terengganu
- Sultan Mahmud Airport at Seberang Takir, Kuala Terengganu
- Sultan Mahmud Power Station, Kenyir Dam
- Royal Ark, TERENGGANU 13
Sultan Ismail Nasiruddin Shah
|Sultan of Terengganu
Sultan Mizan Zainal Abidin