Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi
|Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi|
|President of AIMIM|
|Preceded by||Abdul Wahed Owaisi|
|Succeeded by||Asaduddin Owaisi|
14 February 1931|
Hyderabad, Hyderabad State, British India
(now in Telangana, India)
|Died||29 September 2008
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
(now in Telangana, India)
and 1 Daughter (married to his nephew Aminuddin owaisi)
|Parents||Abdul Wahed Owasi (Father)|
|Alma mater||Nizam College|
|Known for||Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen
All India Muslim Personal Law Board
Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi (February 14, 1931 – September 29, 2008) was a politician from the city of Hyderabad. He served as the Member of Parliament from Hyderabad for six consecutive terms until stepping down in 2004 in favour of his elder son Asaduddin Owaisi. Akbaruddin Owaisi the second son of Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi is a member of the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly from the Chandrayangutta Assembly constituency. His father, Abdul Wahed Owaisi was the president of the All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen till his death. In 1976, Salahuddin Owaisi took over the presidency of the Majlis after his father's death.
Salahuddin Owaisi, also known as “Salar-e-Millat”, repeatedly alleged in his speeches that the Indian state had “abandoned” the Muslims to their fate. Therefore, “Muslims should stand on their own feet, rather than look to the State for help'’, he argued. Owaisi was considered to be the strongest person in Hyderabad politics as his power extended till the borders of Andhra Pradesh. Muslims in the State rallied behind him and he was considered to be the man who could tilt the Muslim vote bank in Andhra pradesh to whichever Party he felt like supporting. He was considered to be the most prominent Muslim Leader in Hyderabad.
Sultan Salahuddin Owaisi stepped into politics in 1958 at a very early age and was active when his father was jailed in the same year .
To work for the economic development and educational advancement of the minorities; Owaisi established minority Engineering College, Medical College, Pharmacy, Degree College and Colleges for hospital management(www.dshm.co.in), MBA, MCA and Nursing, a Co-operative Bank, an Industrial Training Institute, and two Hospitals and Urdu Newspaper Etemaad; evinced keen interest in espousing the cause of promotion and protection of Urdu language, literature and culture.
- Won in 1960 Hyderabad Corporator Election from Mallepally
- Won in 1962 Assembley Election for first time from Patthergati constituency
- Won in 1967 Assembly Election from Yakutpura constituency
- Won in 1972 Assembly Election from Pathergatti constituency
- Won in 1978 Assembly Election with 51.98% of votes as an independent in Charminar constituency
- Won in 1983 Assembly Election with 64.05% of votes as an independent in Charminar constituency
- Won in 1984 Parliament Election with 38.13% of votes as an independent Hyderabad constituency
- Won in 1989 Parliament Election with 45.91% of votes for MIM party in Hyderabad constituency
- Won in 1991 Parliament Election with 46.18% of votes for AIMIM party in Hyderabad constituency
- Won in 1996 Parliament Election with 34.57% of votes for AIMIM party in Hyderabad constituency
- Won in 1998 Parliament Election with 44.65% of votes for AIMIM party in Hyderabad constituency
- Won in 1999 Parliament Election with 41.36% of votes for AIMIM party in Hyderabad constituency
- 1985–96—Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Home Affairs
- 1996–97—Member, Committee on Home Affairs
- 1996–97—Member, Committee on Industry
- 1996–97—Member, Committee on Finance
- 1998–99—Member, Committee on Defence and its Sub-Committee-I
- Wedding grandeur in Hyderabad – Times Of India. Articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com (2008-07-15). Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- Andhra Pradesh / Hyderabad News : A veteran of many battles. The Hindu (2008-09-30). Retrieved on 2012-05-05.
- MIM president Salahuddin Owaisi passes away | Indian Muslims. Indianmuslims.info. Retrieved on 2012-05-05.