|• Official||Angika Hindi|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Sultanganj is a place of great antiquity. It has been traditionally associated with Jahnu sage, whose ashram was a center of learning and culture. Muni Ashram Jahnu in the rock protruding into the bed of the Ganges. Now the site has Ajgaivinath Shiva temple, also known as Gaibinath Mahadeo. The story is that of the Ganges on their way to the ocean in the Muni hismeditation interrupted by the fever of its currents. The wise man swallowed the river in one stroke. Bhagiratha Muni intervened and once again let her out by making an incision in the thigh. That is why the Ganges also called Jahnavi.
Sultanganj traditionally been part of a large state Anga. On the Day of the Mahabharata, Karna, the brother of the sixth five Pandavas, ruled Anga. The capital of Anga was Champa. This Champanagar Champa is located three miles west of Bhagalpur. King Karna had castles at Champa (currently Champanagar) and Jahnugiri (modern Sultanganj). Currently Champanagar, Karna the castle site, is well known as Karnagarh. Karnagarh is practically part of the town of Bhagalpur.
Sultanganj is located at 25°14'23"N 86°43'48"E on the south bank of Ganga river, 25 km west of Bhagalpur city.
An excellent all-weather road connects Bhagalpur with Monghyr and Patna. Sultanganj has a railway station of the same name on the loop-line of the Eastern Railway running from Kolkata to Kiul. A new railway line is being constructed from Sultanganj to Deoghar.
As of 2001[update] India census, Sultanganj had a population of 41,812. Males constitute 54% of the population and females 46%. Sultanganj has an average literacy rate of 52%, lower than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 60%, and female literacy is 43%. In Sultanganj, 17% of the population is under 6 years of age.
About / Importance – This is a very revered Shiva temple for the Hindus. It is believed to be built around 16th century by HarinathBharati. In the Shravan festival lakhs of people visit the temple and collect the Ganga water to proceed further to Deoghar (Shiva temple in present Jharkhand) to offer the same. The myth of river Ganga being seized here by a curse of the sage Janhu and later getting released by the penance performed by king Bhagirath makes this place an important pilgrimage. The rocky island is known as Jahngira meaning ‘the hill of Jahnu’ derives the name from this myth.
View & Feel –There is a long causeway that connects the mainland with the island rock on which the cluster of shrines is entwined along with the seemingly floating rock. Source:
Shravani Mela is an important fair and is celebrated in July - August period of every year, by devotees of Lord Shiva and is a month long festival celebrated in sultanganj to Deoghar Jharkhand. According to a report of Times of India one crore Shiva devotees from India, Nepal, Bhutan and from other countries around the world undertake a pilgrimage from Sultanganj to Deoghar, Baba Baidyanath Temple. This fair is also known as Shrabani Mela.
Devotees of Shiva collect the water from sacred ganges and offer to Lord Shiva in Baidyanath temple of Deoghar, Jharkhand.
Shravani Mela 2014
Sultanganj Shravani Mela 2014 : Shravani Mela is the most celebrated 30 day festival in sultanganj (Bihar) to Deoghar Badiyanath temples of Jharkhand. In 2014, Shravani Mela begins on July 13 and ends on August 10.
The Sultanganj Buddha is the largest complete bronze figure of its kind in the world. The statue is dated by archaeologists at between 500 to 700 AD. It is 2.3m high and 1m wide, weighs over 500 kg and was made using the lost wax technique. It was found in the North Indian town of Sultanganj, Bhagalpur district, Bihar in 1860 or 1861 during the construction of the East Indian Railway.
- Sanjay Jha 'Mastan' Noted Filmmaker from Bollywood.
- Sanjay Jha, a product of National School of Drama, is a Writer, Producer, Director at
- Sanjay Jha films. He has worked in films like 'Pran Jaye Par Shaan Na Jaye', 'Mission Kashmir', 'Kachche Dhaage', 'Khamoshi: The Musical'. He has also worked as Associate Director of 'Zameen-Aasmaan' a Mega Tele Series Directed by Mahesh Bhatt and Tanuja Chandra for Doordarshan.
Sanjay Jha, former chairman and CEO of Motorola Mobility
- Sanjay Jha The chairman and CEO of Motorola Mobility.
- Sanjay K. Jha (born 1963) is the former chairman and chief executive officer of Motorola Mobility and previously served as the co-chief executive officer of Motorola. He stepped down as CEO after Google completed acquisition of Motorola Mobility on 22 May 2012.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Sanjay Jha - Executive Team - Motorola Mobility, Inc
- Film by Sanjay Jha 'Mastan'
- Movies by Sanjay Jha 'Mastan'
- Indian Hindu Temple Ajgaivinath in Sultanganj
- Shravani Mela 2013 Inaugrated
- Shrawani Mela 2013 Preparation
- Murarka College,Sultanganj
- Murarka College's Facebook ID
- Sultanganj Buddha
- Murarka College, Sultanganj