|— Town —|
|Jain temple at Sultan Bathery|
|• President||P P Ayyoob|
|Elevation||907 m (2,976 ft)|
|• Density||476/km2 (1,230/sq mi)|
|• Official||Malayalam, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Telephone code||91 4936|
|Vehicle registration||KL 12,KLW old|
Sulthan Bathery, previously known as Sultan's Battery, is a town in Wayanad district of Kerala, India. It derives its present name from Tipu Sultan of Mysore who used the abandoned Jain temple here and used it as his battery here in the 18th century, hence the name Sultan's Battery. This town was part of Kidanganadu Village, which got its name because the presence of the Kidangans the tribes. Later, it came to be known as Sultan Bathery, the Malayalam version of its name. It is also known as Sultan's Battery of Wayanad district. Though the fort does not remain any more, the place is worth the visit for the famous Jain Temple. The place was previously known by the name of Sulthan's Battery. The town is the largest town in Wayanad District. The largest being the Taluk headquarters of Sultan Bathery .It lies on the Kozhikode–Kollegal National Highway (NH 766) 98 km from Kozhikode. It is 115 kilometers from Mysore and about 100 kilometers from Ooty (Udagamandalam). It is also connected with Nilambur. The people primarily depend on agriculture for a living.
Sulthan Battery is situated at about 930 metres above mean sea level. One can find beautiful folded hills across the horizon. The climate is pleasant throughout the year. The town has the National Highway 766 passing through it. The town is the centre of tourism in Wayanad District. It has become a very popular destination among tourists from India's software valley of Bangalore.
Sulthan Bathery History 
Sultan Bathery is an ancient historical place The history of Bathery has linked with Wayanad..The wayanad history started before 3000 years ago when early man was started. Chroniclers believe that the area was occupied by people. Here crist and unforgettable Tiger of Mysore Tipu Sultan Innumerable evidences have been found.
One important characteristic feature of the Sulthan Bathery is the large adivasi population, consisting mainly of Paniyas, Kurumas, Ooralis, Kadans,Kattunaikkans are the different aboriginal tribes . The Kurmas is the most developed among them. They are small land owners, whereas the members of other tribes are mostly labourers. Wayanad district stands first in the case of adivasi population (about 36%) among other districts in the state. Sulthan Bathery has a large settler population. There are people from almost all parts of Kerala who migrated to this fertile land for building up their lives.One Third population of Sulthan bathery is constituted by Muslims. Christians constitute One fifth population. and rest of the population belongs to Hindus. Their hard work and sacrifice helped them to prosper. On the other hand, the last few decades have seen the complete marginalization of the indigenous people.
Many educational institutions including schools, colleges, industrial training centers and teacher training institutes exist in Sulthan Bathery. Wayanad is a single Education District with one Deputy Director of Education, one District Educational Officer (DEO) and three Assistant Educational Officers (AEO). Sulthan Bathery taluk is under one AEO. Wayanad District Institute of Education and Training (DIET) is located at Sulthan Bathery. It is one of the three DIETs established in Kerala in the first phase in 1989. Apart from providing teacher education, its activities include academic research and innovations, academic monitoring of schools and material production.
School Education 
Many government, aided and unaided schools exist in Sulthan Bathery. They come under different boards of education such as Kerala State Education Board and Central Board of Secondary Education. Some of the schools which follow the state syllabus are listed below:
- Government High Schools
- Sulthan Bathery GVHSS, Sulthan Bathery
- Moolankavu GHSS, Moolankavu
- Private Aided High Schools
- Assumption HS, Sulthan Bathery
- St. Mary's College HSS, Kuppady
- Private Unaided High Schools
- St. Joseph's English HSS, Sulthan Bathery
College Education 
Compared to other districts of Kerala, institutions offering higher education are limited in Wayanad. One of the oldest colleges in Wayanad is St. Mary's College, Sulthan Bathery, established in 1965. This arts and science college is affiliated to University of Calicut. Another arts and science college located here is Don Bosco College. Pazhassi Raja College, Pulpally, established in 1982, is another major college located nearby. Government Engineering College located at Mananthavady is the nearest engineering college. It is affiliated to Kannur University.
Two nursing colleges located at Sulthan Bathery are Assumption School of Nursing and Vinayaka Hospital School of Nursing.
Other Educational Institutions 
A few distance education centers also exist in the town of Sulthan Bathery. St. Mary's College IGNOU study center offers programs such as Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Development, Post Graduate Diploma in Environmental and Sustainable Development, Diploma in Tourism Studies etc. Another IGNOU study center is at Data Point Computer Academy. It offers programs such as Master of Computer Applications (MCA) and Certificate in Computing (CIC).
Many Teacher Training Colleges (TTC) too are present in Sulthan Bathery. Some of them are Mar Baselios Teacher Training Institute, Valummel Teacher Training Institute, Moolankave and St. George Teacher Training Institute, Pulpally.
Apart from these, some special schools for mentally challenged like St. Gregorios Special School for Mentally Challenged, Kottakkunnu and Mercy Home Sacred Heart Special School for Mentally Retarded exist in Sulthan Bathery. The former is managed by Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church Bathery diocese while the latter is under the District Educational Officer, Wayanad. Other unaided special schools include St. Rossolo's HS for the Deaf, Poomala and WO Blind and Deaf school, Muttil.
Sulthan Bathery has a salubrious climate. The mean average rainfall in this area is 2322 mm. Lakkidi, Vythiri and Meppadi are the high rainfall areas in Wayanad. The annual rainfall in these areas ranges from 3000 to 4000 mm. High velocity winds are common during the Southwest monsoon and dry winds blow in March–April. High altitude regions experience severe cold. In Wayanad (Ambalavayal) the mean maximum and minimum temperature for the last five years were 29°C and 18°C respectively. This place experiences a high relative humidity, which goes even up to 95 per cent during the Southwest monsoon period. Generally the year is classified into four seasons, namely, cold weather (December–February), hot weather (March–May), Southwest monsoon (June–September)and Northeast monsoon (October–November) seasons.
Monthly rainfall 
|Rainfall in mm||13.6||13.6||13.3||118.1||58.4||607.9||378.1||626||249.9||122.4||43.3||1|
How To reach 
Sultan Battery has a very good road connectivity with south Indian states. The major Road is NH 212 connected to Mysore, Bangalore and Kozhikode, two State highways connected to Ooty and Coimbatore and a state highway connected to Mangalore, Kannur, Thalassery and Kasaragod.
Air Ways 
Nearest airports 1.Calicut International Airport: 120 km away, 2.Coimbatore International Airport, 3.Mysore Airport: 106 km away. 4.Kannur International Airport(under construction at Mattannur):105 km away.
Local administration 
Sulthan Bathery is a part of wayanad District panchayath and the head quarters of Sultan Bathery Block panchayat. Even a big town Sultan Bathery is now a Graama panchayth because some political reasons. The total number of wards 23. Sulthan Bathery is the biggest town in Wayanad District, also serving as the major business centre of the district.
Panchayath election 
The ongoing local body election will conduct November 23-2010.
Places of worship 
- Ganapati Temple: A Hindu temple in the town.
- Jain Temple: This Temple, believed to have been built in the 13th century. This served as a Jain shrine, an important centre for commercial activity and eventually as a battery (ammunition store) for Tipu Sulthan's marching armies and hence the town got its name "Sulthan's Battery".
- Bathery Jumaa masjid: This is the biggest jumaa masjid in the town and it can hold more than 1000 worshippers. The masjid is situated near the Sulthan Bathery town bus stand.
- Soonoro Church: St. Mary's Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church, Sulthan's Bathery is a famous pilgrim centre in Wayanad. The Soonoro (Zunoro, a piece of cloth of St. Mary) was installed at this church years ago. This church comes under Malabar Diocese of Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Church.
- St. Mary's Orthodox Cathedral, Sulthan Bathery: This is one of the main churches for people who follow the Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church.
- Assumption Church: Is one of the major Christian churches located in the heart of the city.
- Mariyamman Temple: This is the most important temple for the local tribes.Yearly festival in Feb-March which gathers a lot of crowd.
- Masjid Madeena :A juma masjid in town
- CSI St.Thomas Church :This church is situated near police station.
Sultan Bathery has a number of health centers and hospitals both private and government sector.
- Taluk Hospital :General Medicine,ENT,Gynecology,Pediatrics Departments are working now.X Ray, Lab and very good operation theater. 40 bed IP .
- Taluk Ayurveda Hospital :
- Government Homeopathic Hospital :
- Blood Bank :
- Vinayaka Hospital:
- Assumption Hospital :
- M.E.S Hospital :
- Solidarity Center
Sultan Bathery is the biggesst shopping paradise in Wayanad .It includes Textiles,Home Appliances,Electronics,Computers, Electricals,Building Materials, Stationary,Agriculture products,forest products like Honey,Heavy metals,Automobiles,hyper markets .
- RARS:The Regional AgriculturalResearch Station located in Ambalavayal town is part of the Kerala Agricultural University. This station conducts research on Spices, tropical and sub tropical fruits, vegetables and hill paddy. RARS also have a nursery with a large collection of rare Roses and ornamental plants. Visitors can purchase seeds and saplings at the sales counter.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary at Muthanga is contiguous to the protected area network of Nagarhole and Bandipur of Karnataka on the north-east and Muthumalai of TamilNadu on south-east. Rich in bio-diversity, the sanctuary is an integral part of the NilgiriBiosphere Reserve, which has been established with the specific objective of conserving the biological heritage of the region.
The sanctuary is rich in flora and fauna. The management lays emphasis on scientific conservation with due consideration for the general life styles of tribals and others who live in and around the forest.
The vegetation is predominantly moist deciduous forest with small stretches of swamps, teak forests, bamboo and tall grass. Amidst such fertile and varied flora, this region hosts several rare herbs and medicinal plants. With numerous watering holes Muthanga has a large population of pachyderms, and has been declared a Project Elephant site. Also Jungle Cats, Panthers, Civet Cat, Monkeys, Wild dogs, Deers, Spotted Bears, Bisons, Gaurs, Cheetah, Wild Bears, Peacock, Owls, Jungle fowls, Woodpeckers, Babblers, Cukoos etc.. can be seen here. The reserve is also home to a small population of Tigers. |Edakkal Caves
- Edakkal Caves Three caves are located at a height of 1000 mts on Ambukuthi mala near Sulthan Baterhy . The new stone agepictorial writings on the walls of these natural caves at Edakkal are the evidence of the civilizations that existed in the regions in the pre-historic times
. The caves can be accessed only by a 1 km trekking trail from Edakkal.
- Thovarimala. 5 km from Sulthan Bathery; one can go trekking 400 m (1,312 ft) to reach Thovarimala Ezhuthupara where one can see stone age pictorial writings on a rock.
See also 
- Jainism in Kerala
- Mysore invasion of Kerala
- Wayanad District
- Wynad Wildlife Sanctuary
- "Mysore to sulthan bathery". mysore.ind.in. Retrieved 2013-01-13.
- "List of DEO offices, Kerala". General Education Department, Govt. of Kerala. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "List of AEO offices, Kerala". General Education Department, Govt. of Kerala. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "DIET Wayanad". Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "List of High Schools in Wayanad". General Education Department, Govt. of Kerala. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Short history of Wayanad". Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "St. Mary's College, Sulthan Bathery official website". Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Pazhassi Raja college, Pulpally official website". Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "Article on St. Gregorios Special School for Mentally Challenged". Indian Orthodox Herald. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- "List of Special Schools in Kerala". General Education Department, Govt. of Kerala. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Sultans Battery
- "Assembly Constituencies - Corresponding Districts and Parliamentary Constituencies". Kerala. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-19.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Sultan Bathery|
- General Education Department, Govt. of Kerala official website
- List of DIETs in Kerala
- Kozhikode DIET official website
- Ernakulam DIET official website
- List of schools in Wayanad under General Education Department, Govt. of Kerala
- Govt. Engineering College, Mananthavady official website
- Educational Institutions under Catholic Diocese of Bathery
- Major Colleges in Wayanad private blog