|Single by Sheryl Crow|
|from the album 100 Miles from Memphis|
|Released||21 June 2010|
|Length||3:56 (radio edit)
4:30 (album version)
|Writer(s)||Sheryl Crow, Doyle Bramhall II, Justin Stanley|
|Producer(s)||Sheryl Crow, Doyle Bramhall II, Justin Stanley|
|Sheryl Crow singles chronology|
"Summer Day" is a song written and recorded by American singer-songwriter Sheryl Crow. It was released as the first single from Crow's eighth studio album 100 Miles from Memphis. Written by Crow, Doyle Bramhall II, and Justin Stanley, the song features a breezy, smooth tempo, with a noticeable dose of 1970s, R&B influence. In the music video, Sheryl Crow goes to the park during a sunny day, staging an intimate set with her band.
"Summer Day" is a delightfully breezy slice of glory-days AM radio pop. "I wanted to experiment with writing something simple and positive," says Crow. "The feeling of a great, solid love—not just a new love, but something everlasting." 
The song received positive reviews from music critics. Amar Too from AOL Music said that "'Summer Day' might just be the perfect, flagship single for your summer night drives, or evenings spent in your favorite rocking chair on the patio". "The track is guaranteed to provide that extra dose of summertime easiness we're all looking forward to". Bill Lamb from About.com stated that ""Summer Day" finds her in a Stax Records pop-soul mood". He also referred to the song as a "delightfully breezy piece of old-fashioned pop". Jonathan Keefe from Slant Magazine classified the song as "an effortlessness song that is instantly likable and effervescent". The song was A-listed on BBC Radio 2 for the week commencing 3 July.
"Summer Day" charted moderately in the United States, peaking at #3 on the Triple A chart and at #23 on the Hot AC chart, remaining in the chart for twelve non-consecutive weeks. However, the song met with success in Japan, where it peaked in the top 10.
The music video for the song was shot in Nashville, and was released on July 14, 2010 on VEVO and was directed by Wayne Isham. Sheryl Crow commented that "[Her] friend Keith Megna made an amazing 'Summer Day' video for us - inspired by a great day in Central Park and our actual studio recording of the song."
The video captures people enjoying the summer are flashed while Crow delivers a groovy performance. Some are playing hula hoops and the others are either sitting on a bench while listening to music or canoeing in the lake nearby.
|Canada (Adult Contemporary)||41|
|Japan (Hot 100)||7|
|Japan (Adult Contemporary Airplay)||2|
|United Kingdom (UK Singles Chart)||149|
|United Kingdom (Airplay Chart)||21|
|US Billboard (Adult Album Alternative)||3|
|US Billboard (Mainstream Rock Tracks)||42|
|US Billboard (Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks)||23|
|US Billboard (Adult Top 40)||36|
|US Mediabase Year-End Triple A||30|
- ""SUMMER DAY" Exclusive Premiere". Sheryl Crow. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- Posted on Jun 2nd 2010 2:07PM by Amar Toor (2010-06-02). "Sheryl Crow, 'Summer Day' - New Song". AOL Radio Blog. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- 100 miles from Memphis Review About.com'.' Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- Sheryl Crow drops Summer Day About.com'.' Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- 100 Miles from Memphis Review Slant Magazine'.' Retrieved 2010-08-11.
- "Radio 2 - Playlist". BBC. Retrieved 2010-12-06.
- Summer Day music video at AOL AOL Music'.' Retrieved 2010-07-14.
- Sheryl Crow unveils Summer Day music video. Retrieved 2010-07-23.
- Summer Day Music videoDaily Motion'.' Retrieved 2010-08-10.
- Sheryl Crow's Summer Day is the spirit of summer About.com'.' Retrieved 2010-08-26.
- "Mediabase 24/7 - 7 Day Charts". Mediabase.com. Retrieved 2010-12-06.