Summercon is one of the oldest hacker conventions, and the longest running such conference in America. It helped set a precedent for more modern "cons" such as H.O.P.E. and DEF CON, although it has remained smaller and more personal. Summercon has been hosted in cities such as Pittsburgh, St. Louis, Atlanta, Washington, D.C., Austin, Las Vegas, and Amsterdam. Originally run by Phrack, the underground ezine, and held annually in St. Louis, the organizational responsibilities of running Summercon were transferred to clovis in 1998 and the convention took place in Atlanta, dubbed 'Summercon X'.
In its modern incarnation, it is currently organized by redpantz and shmeck, who emphasize the importance of face-to-face interaction as technology increasingly mediates relationships between members of the information security community. Summercon is open to everyone, including "hackers, phreakers, phrackers, feds, 2600 kids, cops, security professionals, U4EA, r00t kids club, press, groupies, chicks, conference whores, k0d3 kids, convicted felons, and concerned parents."
|1987||St. Louis, MO||Held at June 19-21|
|1988||St. Louis, MO||Held at July 22-24|
|1989||St. Louis, MO||Held at June 23-25|
|1990||St. Louis, MO||Held at June 22-24|
|1991||St. Louis, MO||Officially titled CyberView, it was held at June 21-23|
|1992||St. Louis, MO||Held at June 26-28|
|1993||St. Louis, MO|
|1995||Atlanta, GA||Held at the downtown Clarion Hotel by Erik Bloodaxe/LOD/Phrack, June 2-4|
|1996||Washington, D.C||Held at June 15-16|
|1997||Atlanta, GA||Held at May 31-June 2|
|1998||Atlanta, GA||Held at Comfort Inn, Downtown, June 5-7|
|1999||Atlanta, GA||Held at CNN Omni Hotel, June 4-6|
|2000||Atlanta, GA||Held at CNN Omni Hotel, June 2-4|
|2001||Amsterdam, NL||Held at the Hotel Krasnapolsky, June 1-3|
|2002||Washington, D.C||Held at the Renaissance Washington D.C. Hotel, May 31-June 2|
|2003||Pittsburgh, PA||Held at the University Club, June 6-8|
|2004||Pittsburgh, PA||Held at the University Club, June 11-13|
|2005||Austin, TX||Held at the Omni Austin Hotel Downtown, June 3-5|
|2006||Las Vegas, NV||Held at the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino, Aug 4-6|
|2007||Atlanta, GA||Held at the Wyndham Midtown Hotel, Aug 24-26|
|2008||Atlanta, GA||Held at the Wyndham Midtown Hotel, May 30-June 1|
|2009||Atlanta, GA||Held at the Hotel Midtown, June 5-6|
|2010||New York, NY||Held at the Delancey, June 18-20|
|2011||Brooklyn, NY||Held at Littlefield, June 10-12|
|2012||Brooklyn, NY||Held at Littlefield, June 8-10|
|2013||Hell's Kitchen, Manhattan, NY||Held at 404, June 7-8|
- Hackers on Planet Earth a.k.a. H.O.P.E. — the conferences held by 2600 The Hacker Quarterly.
- DEF CON, the world's largest annual hacker convention, held every year in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Chaos Communication Congress — oldest and Europe's biggest hacker conferences held by Chaos Computer Club.
- HoHoCon — first modern hacker convention held by CULT OF THE DEAD COW.
- Black Hat Briefings the largest 'official' computer security event in the world.
- MyDEFCON gathering point spawned from the annual DEFCON security conference.
- Summercon Official site
- Phrack, Volume Three, Issue Thirty-one, Phile #5 of 10. References Summercon '88
- An interview with Loyd Blankenship, aka The Mentor, reflecting on Summercon '88
|This article about a computer conference is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|