|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Summit is an unincorporated community in Boyd County, Kentucky, United States. It is located along the US 60 corridor which is just west of the city of Ashland. Due to its proximity to the city, Summit is often considered to be a part of Ashland, although officially it is independent and serves as a suburb of the city. It shares its ZIP Code with Ashland. Another community in Kentucky, located in Hardin County, is also known as Summit.
Summit is a part of the Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH, Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 288,649. The community was given the name Summit because it is located on relatively flat to slightly rolling terrain, with no valleys and is at a higher elevation than other parts of the area. This terrain is not typical to the region and was created by the ancient Teay's River and the associated Glacial Lake Tight. In the 1940s, Summit began transforming from a sparsely populated farming community into a populated suburban area, partly due to the construction of Federal Correctional Institution located there on Kentucky Route 716, and the upgrading of U.S. Route 60, which made travel to and from here easier from Ashland.
Government and infrastructure
The Federal Bureau of Prisons operates the Federal Correctional Institution, Ashland in Summit, 5 miles (8.0 km) southwest of Ashland. There is also an adjacent federal prison camp, which in 2006 was listed as one of the best places to go to prison by Forbes magazine.
Points of interest
- Armco Park - A community recreational park. The Boyd County War Memorial and John CC Mayo Amphitheatre are located within the park.
- Ashland Boyd County Dog Park. Established in 2003, it is designed to create a safe, attractive area where dogs can run and play off-leash under the supervision of their owners.
- "FCI Ashland Contact Information." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on February 1, 2011. "FCI ASHLAND FEDERAL CORRECTIONAL INSTITUTION ST. ROUTE 716 ASHLAND, KY 41105."
- "Admissions & Orientation (A&O) Handbook." Federal Correctional Institution, Ashland. 1 (1/51). Retrieved on February 1, 2011. "The Federal Correctional Institution of Ashland, Kentucky, is located five miles southwest of Ashland in Summit, Kentucky."
- "FCI Ashland." Federal Bureau of Prisons. Retrieved on February 1, 2011.
- "FCI Ashland, Ky." Forbes. Retrieved on February 1, 2011.
- "Post Office™ Location - SUMMITT." United States Postal Service. Retrieved on February 1, 2011.