|Studio album by Astor Piazzolla, Gerry Mulligan|
|Recorded||September 24–26 and October 1–4, 1974 at Mondial Sound Studio, Milan, Italy.|
|Genre||Nuevo tango, jazz|
|Label||Erre T.V./Festival, Atlantic/WEA, Music Hall, ANS, Tropical Music a.o.|
Mario Fattori, Fabio Belotti, Aldo Pagani
1990 U.S. release on ANS Records named Summit (Reunión Cumbre)
The album was born from the meeting, which took place in Italy in 1974, between the Argentinean bandoneon player Astor Piazzolla and the North American saxophonist Gerry Mulligan, considered among the most prominent members of the world music scene.
The album was recorded in Milan and includes eight compositions, seven written by Piazzolla and one by Mulligan. The fusion of the nuevo tango of Astor Piazzolla with the jazz influences of Gerry Mulligan, backed by an orchestra of Italian and Argentinian musicians, has been described as "a memorable disc of rare beauty" and "a one-off event, wholly successful".
The album was recorded on 24–26 September and 1–4 October 1974 at Mondial Sound Studio in Milan, Italy, by sound engineer Tonino Paolillo.
The release history of Summit appears somewhat loose. The LP was originally released in 1974 on the Italian label Erre T.V. Besides a release on the short-lived label of the German chemical company BASF the album was re-released the following year by the German WEA on the Atlantic Records label as Tango Nuevo. In Latin America the album was released as Reunión cumbre on the Venezuelan label Trova and (without further title) in Brazil on Pick Jazz. Although several times reissued on CD since the late 1980s the album was not digitally remastered yet.
- "20 Years Ago" - 6:26
- "Close Your Eyes and Listen" - 4:32
- "Years of Solitude" - 4:07
- "Deus Xango" - 3:45
- "20 Years After" - 4:10
- "Aire de Buenos Aires" - 4:37
- "Reminiscence" - 6:30
- "Summit" - 3:35
- Astor Piazzolla - bandoneon
- Gerry Mulligan - baritone saxophone
- Angel 'Pocho' Gatti - piano, Fender Rhodes 73 electric piano, organ
- Tullio De Piscopo - drums, percussion
- Giuseppe Prestipino - electric bass
- Alberto Baldan, Gianni Ziloli - marimba
- Filippo Dacco, Bruno De Filippi - electric guitar
- String section with
- Umberto Benedetti Michelangelo - 1st violin
- Renato Riccio - 1st viola
- Enio Miori - 1st cello
- Producers - Aldo Pagani, Mario Fattori, Fabio Belotti
- Executive Producer - Aldo Pagani
- Sound engineer - Tonino Paolillo
- Original cover design - Roberto Carra, Marco Cambieri
- Original cover photos - Alberto Rizzo
- Summit (Reunión Cumbre) (CD liner). Astor Piazzolla and Gerry Mulligan. Italy: Music Hall. 1988. MH 10.005-1.
- Storm Roberts, John. Review: Summit (Reunión Cumbre) by Astor Piazzolla and Gerry Mulligan at AllMusic. Retrieved 29 January 2012.
- Original Italian release of Summit at Discogs
- DeBaser: Gerry Mulligan Astor Piazzolla, Summit - La recensione di cofras
- BASF release of Summit at Discogs
- Tango Nuevo at Discogs
- Trova release of Reunión cumbre at Discogs
- Brazilian release of Summit at Discogs
- Cf. CD release list of Summit (Reunión Cumbre) at AllMusic