Sumter County, South Carolina
|Sumter County, South Carolina|
Location in the state of South Carolina
South Carolina's location in the U.S.
|• Total||682 sq mi (1,766 km2)|
|• Land||665 sq mi (1,722 km2)|
|• Water||17 sq mi (44 km2), 2.44%|
|• Density||158/sq mi (61/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Sumter County is a county located in the U.S. state of South Carolina. As of the 2010 census, the population was 107,456. Its county seat is Sumter. It is included in the Sumter Metropolitan Statistical Area.
It is the home of Shaw AFB. Shaw is home to the 9th USAF HQ and the largest F-16 base in the USAF.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 682 square miles (1,766 km²), of which 665 square miles (1,723 km²) is land and 17 square miles (43 km²) (2.44%) is water. It is drained by the Black River and its tributaries.
- Lee County, South Carolina - north
- Florence County, South Carolina - northeast
- Clarendon County, South Carolina - south
- Calhoun County, South Carolina - southwest
- Richland County, South Carolina - west
- Kershaw County, South Carolina - northwest
As of the census of 2000, there were 104,646 people, 37,728 households, and 27,616 families residing in the county. The population density was 157 people per square mile (61/km²). There were 41,751 housing units at an average density of 63 per square mile (24/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 70.13% White, 26.68% Black or African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.90% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.80% from other races, and 1.16% from two or more races. 1.83% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 37,728 households out of which 36.50% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.20% were married couples living together, 18.30% had a female householder with no husband present, and 26.80% were non-families. 23.20% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.50% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.17.
In the county, the population was spread out with 28.10% under the age of 18, 10.50% from 18 to 24, 29.40% from 25 to 44, 20.70% from 45 to 64, and 11.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 93.90 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 90.20 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $33,278, and the median income for a family was $38,970. Males had a median income of $28,083 versus $21,162 for females. The per capita income for the county was $15,657. About 13.10% of families and 16.20% of the population were below the poverty line, including 21.60% of those under age 18 and 17.40% of those age 65 or over.
- Cane Savannah
- East Sumter
- South Sumter
- Lake Marion
- University of South Carolina Sumter
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Sumter County, South Carolina
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Sumter, the name of four counties in the United States. I. An E. county of South Carolina". The American Cyclopædia. 1879.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 25, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2011-05-14.
- Sumter County official website
- Central Carolina Technical College
- Sumter County SC Community
- Sumter Economic Development
||Kershaw County||Lee County||Florence County|
|Calhoun County||Clarendon County|