Sun TV Network
|Type||Public (BSE: 532733, NSE: SUNTV)|
|Headquarters||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Key people||Kalanidhi Maran (Chairman)
K. Vijaykumar (CEO and MD)
|Products||Broadcasting, publishing, satellite television, Internet and movie production|
|Revenue||22.31 billion (US$360 million) (2014)|
|Net income||7.45 billion (US$120 million) (2014)|
Sun TV Network Limited is an Indian mass media company headquartered in MRC Nagar, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. It is a part of Sun Group. It has been named as Asia's most profitable media corporation and the largest TV network. Established on April 13, 1993, it created and owns a variety of television channels and radio stations in multiple languages covering all Indian states. Its flagship channel is Sun TV, which was the first fully privately owned Tamil channel in India when it emerged. Sun TV Networks are the owners for an Hyderabad-based IPL team, taken over from the Deccan Chargers from 2012. The team will be known as the Sun Risers from the 2013 season of the Indian Premier League
The company is owned by Kalanidhi Maran, who is the chairman and managing director who was awarded the CNBC Business Excellence Award in 2005.
Products and operations
Sun Network offers 29 television channels in four languages, generally targeting southern Indian viewers.
|Entertainment channels||Sun TV||Gemini TV||Udaya TV||Surya TV|
|Music channels||Sun Music||Gemini Music||Udaya Music||Surya Music|
|Movie channels||K TV||Gemini Movies||Udaya Movies||Kiran Tv|
|News channels||Sun News||Gemini News||Udaya News|
|Old song channels||Sun Life||Gemini Life|
|Comedy channels||Adithya TV||Gemini Comedy||Udaya Comedy||Chirithira|
|Children's channels||Chutti TV||Kushi TV||Chintu TV||Kochu Tv|
|Action movie channels||Sun Action||Gemini Action||Suriyan TV||Surya Action|
Sun TV RI (Rest of India) transmits the same Sun TV content but specialized for the rest of India i.e. all states other than Tamil Nadu and enabling the advertisers to focus on specific geographical areas.
|Entertainment channels||Sun TV HD||Gemini TV HD|
|Music channels||Sun Music HD|
|Movie channels||K TV HD|
Sun Group’s print media:
- Kungumam - weekly Tamil magazine
- Kumguma Chimizh - weekly Tamil magazine
- Kungumam Thozhi - weekly Tamil women's magazine
- Aanmigam - weekly Tamil religious magazine
- Mutharam - weekly Tamil magazine
- Vannathirai - weekly Tamil cinema magazine
Sun Network is one of largest radio broadcasters in India with 45 FM radio stations in two radio brands: Suryan FM in Tamil Nadu and Red FM in other parts of India.
|SURYAN FM 93.5 MHZ|
|RED FM 93.5 MHZ|
|with a 48.9%
- FY 2012 Sun TV Network
- "From cable TV to aviation biz, Maran’s march continues". Financialexpress.com. 2010-07-13. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- Sun, Zee remain top on profitability charts. Rediff.com (2004-12-31). Retrieved on 2013-12-23.
- "Sun TV Network win Hyderabad IPL franchise". Wisden India. 25 October 2012.
- "Sun Risers to represent Hyderabad in IPL". Wisden India. 18 December 2012.