Sun and Salsa Festival
|Sun and Salsa Festival|
Kensington during the 2004 Sun and Salsa Festiva
|Genre||Food festival, fundraising|
|Sun and Salsa|
The Sun and Salsa Festival is an annual festival put on in the Kensington Business Revitalization Zone (BRZ) of Calgary, Alberta. It takes place along 10 Street and Kensington Road, which both have parts closed off to traffic. Attendance of the festival has grown to around 100,000 in 2010.
The festival features a competition for the best Salsa, Best Presentation Salsa & Most Creative Salsa. It has a variety of merchant booths (food and merchandise). It includes a fashion show to showcase the area's fashion retailers. As well it includes various entertainment, such as musical acts and dancing, on multiple stages. The festival serves as a fundraiser for its charities, which as of 2010, are the Brenda Strafford Centre and Brown Bagging for Calgary's Kids.
Miss Sun and Salsa Pageant
From 2005 to 2011 the festival featured the Miss Sun and Salsa Pageant. Each year, it selects a "Miss Sun and Salsa", "Sun Princess" and "Salsa Princess" to promote the Kensington community and the festival. They represented the festival around the year, inside and outside of Calgary.
Miss Sun and Salsa Pageant winners
|Year||Miss Sun and Salsa
|2006||Bebeci Chen||Stacey Roy||Kristin Quinn|
|2007||Adwoa Yamoah||Jessica Tsang||Veronica Millan|
|2008||Hannah Coskey||Nicole Tomas||Kelsi Vescarelli|
|2009||Ashlea Moor||Laura James||Kelli Flemmer|
|2010||Casar Jacobson||Ivana V.||Samantha P.|
|2011||Samantha||Jessica B.||Alyssa H.|
note: The "Sun Princess" and "Salsa Princess" titles started in 2006
- White, Tarina (2008-07-21). "Smokin' salsa social". Calgary Sun (Canoe Inc.). Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- White, Tarina (2008-07-20). "Sun and Salsa suits Calgarians just fine". Calgary Sun (Canoe Inc.). Retrieved 2008-08-19.
- Sylvester, Krista (2008-07-21). "Sun and Salsa serves up spicy Sunday". Metro News (Calgary). Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- Dormer, Dave (2008-07-20). "Sun-sational salsa adds spice to city". Calgary Sun (Canoe Inc.). Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- "Kensington Heats Up With Sun and Salsa". visitkensington.com/sunsalsa. Kensington BRZ. Archived from the original on 3 June 2008. Retrieved 2008-07-22.
- Dormer, Dave (2010-07-25). "Street fest hot, hot, hot". Calgary Sun. Retrieved 9 August 2010.
- "Official Sun and Salsa Festival website". Kensington BRZ. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sun and Salsa Festival (Calgary).|