|Elevation||861 m (2,825 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
||This section may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (December 2009)|
SunderNagar is situated on National Highway 21
Air: The nearest airport is Bhuntar, near Kullu which is about 82 km.
Rail: Nearest Broad Gauge Railway Station is Kiratpur Sahib which is about 105 km. Another broad gauge railhead is at Pathankot, a distance of 210 km. From Una and Pathankot the narrow gauge railway connects Joginder Nagar which is 80-km from SunderNagar.
Road: Frequent bus services are available from Chandigarh, Delhi, Shimla & Jammu for Sundernagar. 22 km from Mandi is well connected by road to other places. The main bus stand is just above an open playing field, where the National Highway- 21 continues along the left bank of river to Pandoh.
||This section may stray from the topic of the article. (December 2009)|
As of 2001[update] India census, Sunder Nagar had a population of 23,979. Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Sunder Nagar has an average literacy rate of 82%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 85%, and female literacy is 78%. In Sunder Nagar, 10% of the population is under 6 years of age.
There is a mixture of Himachalis, Punjabis, and Rajasthani's, U.P.'s in this town. This is due to the presence of the Bhakra Beas Management Board (B.B.M.B), which is a Govt. of India project having Punjab, Haryana, Rajsthan and Himachal Pradesh as partners and hence the employees are mostly from Punjab, Haryana and Rajsthan.Now the number of people from Bihar are also increasing due to different construction works going on(mainly houses).
The place as a whole is quite peaceful.There are lot of scenic beauties to see like sunset across the lake,valley view from the road going to karane etc. There are two open big grounds in the colony where a lot of children play, people usually go for a walk in the evenings and mornings,usually on the roads towards nearby villages like Chambi and kerane.But there is a project of Cement factory which has been initiated by the government in Karane. 10/05/2011 At present the government has given stay order for the factory project and it vl take next 5 year's to take further step in installation of factory. But the stone to be used in factory for cement making will still be going from kerane.
Sunder Nagar has emerged as an educational hub in past few years, having an Government Engineering College, Govt. Dental college and Govt. degree college. The notable educational institutions are:
- St. Mary's School
- Angel's Public School
- D.A.V public school
- Dreamz College of Pharmacy
- Dreamz Polytechnic College
- Dreamz Public School (Khilra)
- Government Polytechnic Sunder Nagar
- Govt. B.S.L. Sr. Sec. School (a.k.a. Punjab School)
- Govt. Sr. Sec. Model School (a.k.a. Model School)
- Govt. Sr. Sec. School(Boys)
- Govt. Sr. Sec. School(Girls)
- Himachal Dental College 
- Jawaharlal Nehru Government Engineering College
- Maharaja Lakshman Sen Memorial College (a.k.a. M.L.S.M College)
- Mahavir Public Snr. Sec. School Sunder Nagar
- Sanskrit College
- St. Xavier School
- Axiom International School
Among these Jwahar Lal Engineering College is of utmost importance as this is one is the only state Government ruled college in Himachal Pradesh.
||This section may stray from the topic of the article into the topic of another article, section. (December 2009)|
- The Government Polytechnic established in 1959 is one of the landmarks of Sundernagar. The office of the Director Technical Education HP is located in this campus.
- The office of the Director of Accounts (Postal), H.P. Circle is located at Sundernagar since November 1994. The present Director (as on February 2007) of this office is Sh. A. I. Haidry.
- A unit of National Thermal Power Corporation is working here at Koldam, near Barmana.
- ACC Cement plant is also situated at Barmana Near Sunder Nagar.
- Bhakra Beas Management Board Office are situated here.
- River Beas also flows in a tunnel underneath the city before it merges into Sutlej River at Slapper where a power house namely Dehar Power House is located
- Sh. V. Verma, formerly secretary of Himachal Vidhan Sabha and author of many books on Himachal belongs to Sundar Nagar
- Sundernagar houses a privately managed recognised dental college Himachal Dental College running a 5-year BDS Programme and four 3-years MDS Programmes. The College is affiliated to the Himachal Pradesh University, Shimla.
- The biggest hydro-electric project in mandi, the Beas-Sutlej project, irrigating nearly one-fourth of the northern plains of India, has brought unprecedented prosperity to Sudernagar. The Beas-Sutlej link colony is the biggest colony in Himachal Pradesh
- J.N Govt. Engg. college which is extremely good and among top colleges in himachal and is having a very bright future.
Mahamaya Temple: Located on top of a hill, offers a panoramic view of the city and is one of the most sacred places around.
Murari Devi Temple: Murari Devi Temple is a beautiful place to visit in Sunder Nagar. This Temple is in the west of Sunder Nagar on the top of a sacred hill named Murari Dhar. It is believed that this temple was made by Pandvas during their "AGYATWAAS"
Shukdev Vatika: It is situated near to BBMB reserviour. During Pre-Mahabharata period Rishi Shukdev meditated at this place. There is an ancient cave dating back to Puranas. This cave leads to Haridwar and it is believed that Rishi Shukdev used this cave to take bath in holy Ganges every morning.
Haateswari Temple: This temple is situated on Sundernagar Baggi Road at a distance of about eight km from Sundernagar. History of Pandavas can also be traced to this famous temple. Devi Haateswari, the presiding deity of the area has a huge following.
Lake Reservoir: It is the reservoir of the BSL Project. Lies at the heart of the town and is blessed with cool breeze with a panoramic view overlooking the mighty himalayas lies on the national highway 21 (Chandigarh - Manali).
Rewalsar: About 30 km from sundernagar, it is a small Tibetan settlement with a beautiful lake in between. It has a lot of Tibetan temples, a small zoo, and boating facilities at the lake.
Jangam Bagh: Its in BBMB colony near Govt.Sernior Secondary Model School. It has Temple,fish pond and surrounded by lush green trees.
Sheetla Mata Temple: It is a beautiful temple devoted to Maa Sheetla. It is located about a mile away from bank of bsl lake. Along with this lie a broad cast point of Doordarshan.
- Sunder Nagar's Official Website
- Falling Rain Genomics, Inc - Sundarnagar
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Hutchinson, J. & J. PH Vogel (1933). History of the Panjab Hill States, Vol. I. 1st edition: Govt. Printing, Pujab, Lahore, 1933. Reprint 2000. Department of Language and Culture, Himachal Pradesh. Chapter VIII Suket State, pp. 340–372.
- History of Mandi