Sunday Times Rich List 2011
The Sunday Times Rich List 2011 is the 23rd annual survey of the wealthiest people in the United Kingdom, published by The Sunday Times on 8 May 2011. Since its earliest inception, the Rich List has been widely previewed in the UK media and extensively covered on the day of publication.
The list is based on an estimate of the minimum wealth of the richest 1,000 people or families in the United Kingdom as of January of that year. Analysis encompasses measuring identifiable wealth, to include land, property, racehorses, art or significant shares in publicly quoted companies. The Sunday Times staff do not have access to personal bank accounts. Therefore, analysis excludes this financial data, along with small shareholdings in private equity portfolios. Once analysis is complete, the list is compiled by Dr Philip Beresford, with Tristian Davies serving as the executive editor.
In addition to the main list, smaller lists are compiled based on miscellaneous sets of criteria. These criteria include the source of their wealth, ethnicity, gender, aristocracy, profession, region, land value, charitable giving, age, and astrological signs. A separate section lists the 250 richest Irish, including both Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
The highest new entries to the Rich List in 2011 were Gopi and Sri Hinduja, whose share of their family business was estimated at £6 billion. Another high ranked new entrant was Ravi Ruia of India's Essar with a fortune estimated at £4,900m, placing him 12th. The highest new entry among the women was China's Xiuli Hawken, wife of a London teacher, with an estimated property fortune of £1,066 million.
Top 12 fortunes
|Rank||Wealth||Name||Citizenship||Source of wealth||2010
|1||£17,500m||Lakshmi Mittal and family||India||Steel, co-owner of QPR FC||1||£22,450m|
|2||£12,400m||Alisher Usmanov||Russia||Steel, mining and co-owner of Arsenal FC||6||£4,700m|
|3||£10,000m||Roman Abramovich||Russia||Oil, industry, owner of Chelsea FC||2||£7,400m|
|4||£7,000m||Gerald Grosvenor, 6th Duke of Westminster||United Kingdom||Inheritance, land, property||3||£6,700m|
|5||£6,800m||Ernesto and Kirsty Bertarelli||Switzerland & United Kingdom||Pharmaceuticals||4||£5,950m|
|6||£6,237m||Leonard Blavatnik||United States||Industry||15||£3,000m|
|7||£6,200m||John Fredriksen and family||Cyprus||Shipping||16||£2,750m|
|8||£6,176m||David and Simon Reuben||United Kingdom||Property||5||£5,532m|
|9=||£6,000m||Gopi and Sri Hinduja||India||Industry and finance||(new entry)||(new entry)|
|9=||£6,000m||Galen Weston, George Weston and family||Canada||Retailing||7||£4,500m|
|11||£5,400m||Charlene de Carvalho-Heineken and Michel Carvalho||Netherlands||Inheritance, banking, brewing (Heineken)||8||£5,532m|
|12||£4,900m||Ravi Ruia||India||Energy (Essar Group)||(new entry)||(new entry)|
- Forbes list of billionaires
- Sunday Times Rich List 2007
- Sunday Times Rich List 2008
- Sunday Times Rich List 2009
- Sunday Times Rich List 2010
- Sunday Times Rich List 2012
- Sunday Times Rich List 2013
- Sunday Times Rich List 2014
- Sunday Times Rich List 2015
- "''Sunday Times Rich List''". Thesundaytimes.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-05-08.
- "BBC News - Rich list suggests UK richest seeing funds recovering". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-05-08. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- Swinford, Steven (2011-05-07). "Sunday Times Rich List 2011: Fortunes of super-rich soar". London: Telegraph. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "BBC News - Wealthiest UK people revealed in Sunday Times Rich List". Bbc.co.uk. 2011-05-08. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- "The Sunday Times". Features.thesundaytimes.co.uk. Retrieved 2011-05-09.
- The Independent: Want to be a billionaire? You should have founded Specsavers
- Daily Mail: Specsavers boss makes a billion, as 19 others also become billionaires in latest Rich List