Sunk Island shown within the East Riding of Yorkshire
|Population||228 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Civil parish||Sunk Island|
|Unitary authority||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Ceremonial county||East Riding of Yorkshire|
|Region||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||Yorkshire and the Humber|
|UK Parliament||Beverley and Holderness|
Sunk Island is a Crown Estate village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England. It lies 3.5 miles (5.6 km) south of Ottringham and 1-mile (1.6 km) to the north of the Humber Estuary. The Greenwich Meridian passes through the east of the parish.
Sunk Island originated as a sand bank in the Humber Estuary; by the reign of Charles I of England, it was said to form a seven acre island, one-and-a-half mile from the mainland. From 1663, the land around it was gradually drained, and by the mid-18th century, the channel separating it from the shore had entirely silted up. It was parished in 1831.
- "Key Figures for 2011 Census: Key Statistics: Area: Sunk Island CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- "Sunk Island, Greenwich Meridian Marker". The Greenwich Meridian. Retrieved 18 July 2010.
- "2001 Census: Key Statistics: Parish Headcounts: Area: Sunk Island CP (Parish)". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 20 May 2008.
- GENUKI. "SUNK ISLAND: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1892.". Retrieved 3 August 2007.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Neave, David (2002) . Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: The Buildings of England (2nd ed.). Yale University Press. ISBN 0-300-09593-7.
- English Heritage. "Church of the Holy Trinity (1161190)". National Heritage List for England. Retrieved 7 February 2013.
- Gazetteer — A–Z of Towns Villages and Hamlets. East Riding of Yorkshire Council. 2006. p. 10.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sunk Island.|
- English Heritage. "Holy Trinity Church (166621)". Images of England.
- Sunk Island Crown Estate
- Sunk Island meridian marker
|This East Riding of Yorkshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|