|Known for||Asia Pacific TV Broadcasting, and Kids Television|
Soumitra ‘Sunny’ Saha (born August 1972) has been Senior Vice President and Managing Director of Turner Broadcasting System’s (part of Time Warner) Southeast Asia Pacific business, and the General Manager of its Kids networks in Asia Pacific.
Since joining Turner Broadcasting in September 2000, Saha led, in turn, advertising sales and research for India & South Asia; the Asia Pacific regional advertising sales, promotional licensing, marketing, interactive and research teams; all kids and general entertainment networks across Asia Pacific; and most recently the company’s business for Southeast Asia Pacific. He had strategic oversight of Turner’s kids business across the Asia Pacific region. He launched several TV channels, built five kids brands in the Asia Pacific region, and expanded Turner’s portfolio by developing general entertainment brands in India, Japan, Korea and Southeast Asia.
Early years, IMRB
Saha began his career at Indian Market Research Bureau as a Research Executive in 1995. He was part of the team that launched TAM Media Research in India, one of the most comprehensive TV audience measurement services in the world. During his tenure, Saha trained professionals of the Indian media industry (broadcasters, advertisers, media agencies and analysts) on audience analytics and planning.
Kids Programming and Brands
Saha led Cartoon Network to the leading position on pay television in Asia Pacific. He expanded Turner’s kids portfolio to five brands in Asia Pacific: Cartoon Network, Pogo, Toonami, Cartoonito and Boomerang. Saha was the project lead for Galli Galli Sim Sim, a partnership between Sesame Workshop and Turner Broadcasting for India.
Content Production and Curation
Saha localized global kids’ content  and commissioned original, award winning, international and Asian market-specific local content for kids He spearheaded the ‘Brand Everywhere’ approach to Kids entertainment curating content across television, web, mobile, retail, publishing, events and venues and accelerated new sources of licensing and digital revenues.
Saha facilitated Cartoon Network’s expansion to family entertainment destinations with Cartoon Network Amazone which is the world’s first Cartoon Network waterpark scheduled to open in Bang Saray, Pattaya, Thailand in 2014. Cartoon Network also partnered with Taiwan High Speed Rail Corporation for the Cartoon Express in Taipei in 2013.
Marketing and Advertising
Educating the market about the influence kids have on household purchase decisions (pester power), Saha encouraged advertisers to leverage the popularity of Cartoon Network’s characters to help their own brands. Organisations, such as Unilever and Prudential Corporation, partnered with Cartoon Network to develop innovative communication solutions.
- Turner’s Southeast Asia MD Sunny Saha exits after 14 years http://mumbrella.asia/2014/01/turners-southeast-asia-md-sunny-saha-exits-14-years
- Cartoon Network reigns as No. 1 kids’ TV channel in PH-survey http://entertainment.inquirer.net/38055/cartoon-network-reigns-as-no-1-kids-tv-channel-in-ph-survey
- Interview with Turner Ent. Asia Senior VP & GM, Soumitra Saha http://www.axapac.com/interviews/interview-turner-ent-asia-senior-vp-gm-soumitra-saha
- Ben 10 wins big at Asian awards ceremonies http://www.licensing.biz/news/read/ben-10-wins-big-at-asian-awards-ceremonies/028234
- ‘Animation could be the next general entertainment’ http://www.dnaindia.com/money/report-animation-could-be-the-next-general-entertainment-1174876
- Cartoon Network as the most watched channel in APAC http://www.casbaa.com/privacy-policy/312-cartoon-network-as-the-most-watched-channel-in-apac
- Turner to Open First Waterpark http://www.licensingexpo.com/license-global/turner-open-first-waterpark
- Taiwan: Cartoon Express train rolls into action in Taiwan https://www.uic.org/com/uic-e-news/358/
- Marketers bow to mighty kid power http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2002-02-02/bangalore/27115507_1_cartoon-network-music-systems-brands
- HLL relaunches kids ice-cream portfolio – Ties up with Cartoon Network for promos http://www.thehindubusinessline.in/2003/03/21/stories/2003032101620200.htm
- Prudential launches Cha-Ching Money-Smart Kids - a first in Asia http://www.prudentialcorporation-asia.com/corp/prudential_en_pca/header/press/mediainvestors/pressreleases/2011/20110906_01_Regional.html
- Cartoon Network sees localization as key to its fortunes http://www.indiantelevision.org.in/headlines/y2k1/oct/oct57.htm
- Turner set to launch new English movie channel in Aug http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2008-07-07/news/27729646_1_english-movie-channel-turner-international-revenue-kitty
- Turner’s truTV makes Asian debut in Singapore http://www.casbaa.com/media-and-resources/news-center/members-news/322-turners-trutv-makes-asian-debut-in-singapore
- truTV to launch in Vietnam and Philippines http://www.indiantelevision.org.in/headlines/y2k10/june/june150.php
- Cartoon Network HD launches in Indonesia http://www.animationmagazine.net/tv/cartoon-network-hd-launches-in-indonesia/
- Toonami debuts around Asia http://www.toyworldmag.co.uk/world-news/2012/11/toonami-debuts-around-asia
- Toonami and Cartoonito, It’s TOON time in Asia http://www.onscreenasia.com/article/toonami-and-cartoonito-it-s-toon-time-in-asia/10663
- Turner gears up for next level in India http://www.impactonnet.com/node/1008
- Streets ahead on child connect http://www.indiantelevision.com/special/y2k6/galli_galli.htm
- Galli Galli goes to the ‘gallies’ http://www.indiantelevision.org.in/headlines/y2k7/feb/feb161.htm
- Thai tourism to get massive boost from its first, globally branded themed waterpark http://www.pattayamail.com/property/thai-tourism-to-get-massive-boost-from-its-first-globally-branded-themed-waterpark-13138
- World's first Cartoon Network water park to open in Thailand http://travel.cnn.com/bangkok/visit/pull-out-your-powerpuff-bikini-cartoon-network-building-waterpark-614670
- Pester power draws new ads to Cartoon Network http://www.thehindubusinessline.in/2002/06/14/stories/2002061400380600.htm
- Cartoon Network vies for adult eyeballs http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2002-07-02/news/27359521_1_new-advertisers-advertising-sales-revenue