Sunnyvale Public Library
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (July 2008)|
|Location||Sunnyvale, California, USA|
|Access and use|
The Sunnyvale Public Library is a mid-sized public library serving the city of Sunnyvale, California, USA. The Library is located in the Sunnyvale Civic Center area, at 665 W. Olive Avenue. The Library is open seven days a week, from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday and Saturday, and 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. The Library's primary phone number is (408) 730-7300.
The library was originally the Reading Room, which opened in 1908, and grew from 50 books to 500 within a year. In 1914, the collection, which had been managed by the Women's Christian Temperance Union and had grown to over 1100 books, was passed over to the town to form the Sunnyvale Public Library, which became part of the county library system in 1917.
The library was housed within the Wright building and later within the Civic Auditorium of the old City Hall, on Murphy Avenue. In November 1960, the library moved to its current location on Olive Avenue. A bookmobile service operated from 1973 to 1978 and restarted in 1982. A branch library opened in 1975 but was later closed.
The building has been expanded twice, in 1970 and 1985 to its current size of 60,000 square feet (5,600 m2). In 2007, a bond measure for $108 million for construction of a new library building failed to pass, receiving only 59.08% of votes cast, short of the 2/3 majority needed for passage.
The library offers Internet access, providing use of computers and also providing wireless network service for those who bring laptops.
Movies and music are available. The book service includes, in addition to Fiction, Nonfiction, Reference, Children's and Teen collections, a non-English language section with 12 languages, a Large Print collection for the visually impaired, and a College and Careers collection of test preparation materials,
The library is a Patent and Trademark Resource Center.
- Sunnyvale Public Library. "Library of the Future". Retrieved on January 7, 2008
- http://sunnyvale.ca.gov/Departments/Library/Library+History.htmSunnyvale Public Library. "History of the Sunnyvale Public Library". Retrieved on November 26, 2007
- "Sunnyvale Public Library Annual Report July 2005-June 2006". Retrieved on November 26, 2007
- City of Sunnyvale's Adopted Fiscal Year 2007/2008 Budget and Resource Allocation Plan. Retrieved on November 26, 2007
- Library Development Services Bureau, California State Library. California Library Statistics 2007.
- Sunnyvale Public Library at the U.S. National Center for Education Statistics