Sunrise Mountain (Nevada)
Sunrise Mountain seen from road/trail up Frenchman Mountain
|Elevation||3,366 ft (1,026 m) NAVD 88|
|Prominence||924 ft (282 m)|
|Location||Clark County, Nevada, U.S.|
|Topo map||USGS Frenchman Mountain|
Even though Sunrise mountain is over 3.3 miles (5.3 km) NNW of higher peak Frenchman Mountain many people in the Las Vegas Valley refer to Frenchman Mountain as Sunrise Mountain since the sun rises from behind it. This confusion dates back many years and the National Geodetic Survey bench mark placed in 1947 on the summit of Frenchman Mountain is designated "Sunrise". During World War II the U.S. Army maintained an airway beacon on the summit and as of 2007, remains of the tower could still be found.
- "Sunrise Mountain, Nevada". Peakbagger.com. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
- "Airway Beacon USA 2". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "Sunrise". NGS data sheet. U.S. National Geodetic Survey. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "Details for Benchmark: GR1878". GeoCoaching.com. Retrieved 2008-04-06.
- "Sunrise Mountain". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2008-11-24.
- "Sunrise Mountain". SummitPost.org. http://www.summitpost.org/page/269821. Retrieved 2011-05-20.
|This Nevada state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|