Sunrise Senior Living
|Founded||1980 (Oakton, Virginia)|
|Headquarters||Tysons Corner, Virginia|
|Revenue||$1.5 Billion USD (2010)|
|Website||American Canadian British|
Sunrise Senior Living, a McLean, Va.-based company, employs more than 29,000 people. As of November 1, 2013, Sunrise operates nearly 300 communities located in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom, with a unit capacity of approximately 26,400 units. Sunrise offers a full range of personalized senior living services, including independent living, assisted living, care for individuals with Alzheimer's disease and other forms of memory loss, as well as nursing and rehabilitative services. Sunrise's senior living services are delivered by staff trained to encourage the independence, preserve the dignity, enable freedom of choice and protect the privacy of residents.
The first Sunrise community opened in 1987 in Arlington, Virginia, by founders Paul and Terry Klaassen. Today, Sunrise’s community support office is headquartered near its original founding in McLean, Virginia. In April 2014, Chris Winkle was named Sunrise’s chief executive officer (CEO).
Awards and Recognition
- Sunrise Senior Living communities earned the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) ENERGY STAR ® Certification
- Sunrise Senior Living was awarded “Best Mobile Solution” by Sitecore, a global leader in customer experience management software.
- Sunrise was named a "Best Place to Work" by Washingtonian Magazine in 2001, 2003, and 2005.
- In 2005, Sunrise was placed 930th on the Fortune 1000 list, and 854th in 2006.
Construction is underway on three new Sunrise communities that will offer Assisted Living and Memory Care programs to seniors and their families. Sunrise of Burlingame, Calif. and Sunrise of Dublin, Ohio, will open Summer 2015. Sunrise at Palos Verdes, Calif., will open in early 2016.
On August 14, 2014, Sunrise Senior Living acquired the management company of Gracewell Healthcare, a residential care home company in the United Kingdom owned by Health Care REIT, Inc. (HCN). Sunrise will manage 11 care homes comprising 767 units in southern England under the Gracewell brand in addition to the current 27 communities throughout the United Kingdom under the Sunrise brand.
- Great Places to Work: The List | Work & Family | Washingtonian
- The FORTUNE 500 Index - April 18, 2005
- THE INDEX - April 17, 2006