Location of Suomussalmi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Asta Tolonen|
|• Total||5,857.59 km2 (2,261.63 sq mi)|
|• Land||5,270.56 km2 (2,034.97 sq mi)|
|• Water||587.03 km2 (226.65 sq mi)|
|Area rank||9th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||118th largest in Finland|
|• Density||1.7/km2 (4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.7% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||12.7%|
|• 15 to 64||63%|
|• 65 or older||24.3%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
Suomussalmi is a municipality in Finland and is located in the Kainuu region. The municipality has a population of 8,940 (31 January 2014) and covers an area of 5,857.59 square kilometres (2,261.63 sq mi) of which 587.03 km2 (226.65 sq mi) is water. The population density is 1.7 inhabitants per square kilometre (4.4 /sq mi). The municipality is unilingually Finnish. Ämmänsaari is the biggest built-up area in the municipality.
Suomussalmi is the second southernmost part of the reindeer-herding area in Finland.
During the Winter War of 1939–40, several battles were fought in the area around Suomussalmi, the most important ones being the Battle of Suomussalmi and the Battle of Raate. In these battles small Finnish forces defeated numerically superior Soviet forces.
Results of the Finnish parliamentary election, 2011 in Suomussalmi:
- Left Alliance 36.3%
- Centre Party 30.9%
- True Finns 20.5%
- National Coalition Party 5.2%
- Social Democratic Party 3.1%
- Christian Democrats 2.3%
- Green League 0.9%
- Other parties 0.8%
Twin towns — Sister cities
Suomussalmi is twinned with:
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "VÄESTÖTIETOJÄRJESTELMÄ REKISTERITILANNE 31.1.2014" (in Finnish and Swedish). Population Register Center of Finland. Retrieved 11 February 2014.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Ask the expert - Heikki Kovalainen Formula1.com
Media related to Suomussalmi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Suomussalmi – Official website