|Supadio International Airport (SPA)
Bandar Udara Internasional Supadio (SPA)
|IATA: PNK – ICAO: WIOO
|Operator||PT Angkasa Pura II|
|Location||Pontianak, West Kalimantan, Indonesia|
|Elevation AMSL||10 ft / 3 m|
|Source: DAFIF; List of the busiest airports in Indonesia|
The airport was originally built in the 1940s as Sungai Durian Airport. In the 1980s, it was renamed Supadio Airport. In the 2000s, an international route was opened to Kuching International Airport.
Cancellation of name change
There was a plan to rename Supadio Airport as Sultan Hamid II International Airport in 2006, but the plan was cancelled.
Supadio International Airport is going to have new terminal building with its runway to be lengthened and widened, to make it a world-class airport. In 2012 tender to overlay 2,250 meters runway has been done, and in early 2013 overlay will be done. Multiyears project to expand runway to 2,500 meters began in 2013. Before, in 2010-2011 runway has been widened from 30 meters to 45 meters.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- On 19 January 1973, Douglas C-47B PK-EHC of Trans Nusantara Airways crashed on landing and was destroyed in the subsequent fire. All four people on board escaped.
- On 22 November 2004, Sri Hardono, the captain of Garuda Indonesia flight 501, a Boeing 737-500 from Pontianak to Jakarta, was suddenly ill shortly after take-off. Hardono immediately asked permission to the air traffic control to return to the airport. Hardono died shortly after the emergency landing while still in the cockpit. Heart attack was the cause of illness and death. Due to the incident, the airport was temporarily closed for 40 minutes. There were no other injuries or fatalities in this incident.
- On 2 November 2010, Lion Air flight 712, operated by Boeing 737-400 PK-LIQ, overran the runway on landing, coming to rest on its belly. All 174 passengers and crew evacuated by the emergency chutes, with few injuries reported.
- On June 1, 2012, a Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737-400 skidded off the runway in heavy rain. Nobody was hurt, but the plane sustained damage beyond repair.
- On 19 October 2012, a Sriwijaya Air Boeing 737-400 skidded off the runway. All passengers and crew survived.
- On 1 November 2012, a Lion Air Boeing 737-400 skidded off the runway after landing from Jakarta. All passengers and crew survived.
- On 31 December 2012, a Lion Air Boeing 737-400 skidded at Supadio Pontianak Airport. The plane landed in heavy rain. All passengers and crew survived.
- On 20 February 2013, a Lion Air Boeing 737-400 underwent tyre rupture after landing. Passengers felt the plane shake when landing.
- Airport information for WIOO at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.
- Airport information for WIOO at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective Oct. 2006).
- "Angkasa Pura II segera perluas bandara Supadio". January 3, 2013.
- "PK-EHC Accident description". Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved 26 August 2010.
- Tempo Interaktif Pilot Garuda Diduga Meninggal Karena Serangan Jantung
- Hradecky, Simon. "Accident: Lionair B734 at Pontianak on Nov 2nd 2010, overran runway on landing". Aviation Herald. Retrieved 2 November 2010.