|Traded as||LSE: SGP|
|Headquarters||Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK|
|Key people||Peter Bamford, Chairman
Julian Dunkerton, CEO
|Revenue||£360.4 million (2013)|
|Operating income||£51.9 million (2013)|
|Profit||£36.3 million (2013)|
SuperGroup plc is a British international branded clothing company, and owner of the Superdry label. Superdry products combine vintage Americana styling with Japanese inspired graphics. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 250 Index.
The business was established by Ian Hibbs and Julian Dunkerton as 'Cult Clothing' in Cheltenham in 1985. It expanded during the 1990s and established stores in a number of UK university towns and cities, from Oxford and Cambridge to Edinburgh and Belfast. It opened its first store under the Superdry[Note 1] name in Covent Garden in London in 2004. Superdry does not overtly advertise, or have store sales, and does not actively pursue celebrity endorsement, but a Brad leather jacket worn by football player David Beckham sold 70,000 from 2007 to mid-2009, becoming a best-seller for the company.
The company issued a profits warning and placed its store opening plans under review in February 2012; the share price quickly dropped by 18%.
In 2008 a nationwide expansion of Superdry took place, with stores opening in major towns and cities all over the UK, the majority in university cities. As of 2012[update] the brand is sold in over 40 countries across Europe, North America, South America, the Middle East, Australia and Asia.
- The brand logo - phonetically "Kyokudo kansou shinasai" - literally translates as "(Please) Dry it (or yourself) extremely"
- Preliminary Results 2013
- "Cheltenham staff to become millionaires overnight". South West Business. 17 November 2009.[dead link]
- "Fashion retailer aims to build on the opening of its biggest UK store". Property Week. November 2009.(registration required)
- Guardian (May 28, 2009), "David Beckham jacket tussle ends with rap on the knuckles for Primark", The Guardian (London), retrieved 2009-08-10
- Daily Mail (May 30, 2009), Primark settle Beckham leather jacket tussle with Brit designers Superdry, London, retrieved 2009-08-10
- Investors Snap Up Superdry Owner's Shares Sky News, 23 March 2010
- Sunday Times Rich List: Who's up? This is money, 26 April 2010
- SuperGroup issues profits warning after Superdry's tough January
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Superdry.|