Super (2010 Indian film)
|Produced by||Rockline Venkatesh|
|Music by||V. Harikrishna|
|Editing by||Thirupathi Reddy|
|Distributed by||Rockline Productions|
|Running time||135 minutes|
|Box office||350,000,000 (Kannada, Telugu, TV and Audio rights)|
Super (Kannada: ಸೂಪರ್, Telugu: సూపర్) (originally known only by Vitarka Mudrā hand symbol) is a 2010 Indian multilingual film written and directed by Upendra. The film was released on 3 December 2010 in its Kannada version; and on 11 March 2011 in its Telugu version This utopian film had a concept of a contrasting futuristic India set in the year 2030, and the contemporary image of India.
With the title of the film depicted only by a symbol, it features Upendra and Nayantara in lead roles and is produced by Rockline Venkatesh, while V. Harikrishna scored the music. Making more than 100 million through satellite television and audio rights even before release, in Kannada it grossed a record 25 million in first three days of the opening weekend. The film grossed 500 million at the box office and was one of the Highest grossing Kannada films of 2010, along with Jackie.
Upendra returned to direction after nearly ten years. The nameless film was originally represented only by the hand symbol (seen in posters) and Upendra wanted the audience to name the film. The hand symbol could mean zero, or three or the Om symbol or Vitarka Mudrā (an ancient Buddhist gesture), but media stuck to calling it Super.
Shooting began on 18 February 2010 at the Kanteerava Indoor Stadium with planned schedule for 90 days which included various locations in Bangalore, Dubai and London. It was produced by Rockline Venkatesh under the banner Rockline Productions, which is its 25th venture. The film saw the debut of Tamil-Malayalam actress Nayantara in Kannada films. Being a multilingual film, several artists from Telugu and Tamil film industries like Ali, Kadal Dandapani, Jeeva are also featured.
Prior to release, much information about the film was kept under wraps. During promotion of the film at an interview on a radio station, Upendra expressed his disappointment being labeled as a "different director" and explained that most of his directorial ventures deal with the things that he had undergone in his real life. When asked about the ten-year break, Upendra said he thought he would work on his acting career, but then it sucked him in like a vacuum which he could not get out of. After reaching a point where he was afraid he had lost his ability to direct films, he had to fight his fear and that is when he started working on the script of Super.
- Upendra as Subhash Chandra Gandhi (the name is a portmanteau of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose and Mahatma Gandhi—the former is known for his revolutionary views to attaining Indian freedom, and the latter, for his non-violence)
- Nayantara as Indira
- Tulip Joshi as Mandira
- Sudarshan & Shylashri as Subhash's parents
- Sadhu Kokila & Ali as Chaddi Brothers (term chaddi means shorts and is a parody on the Bellary Reddy Brothers who are alleged to have involved in mining scam)
- Telugu actor Jeeva as a cop
- Tamil actor Kadal Dandapani as the Chief Minister
- Kannada film director Yograj Bhat is featured as off-screen narrator (uncredited)
- Rockline Venkatesh (producer) guest stars as the leader of a folk dance troop
A symbol being the title of the film, it is replete with symbolism from the title sequence is displayed. For instance, the credit for direction just shows "U" with an index finger pointing towards the audience. This story of India is narrated metaphorically through the story of Indira, the female lead.
Super depicts a Utopian India in the year 2030 where Indians are pictured to be wealthy, hard-working, and are seen wearing traditional clothing consisting of Ilkal saree and panche. In contrast, westerners are the ones taking care of menial jobs like taxi driving, janitorial, etc. It is a future where the rupee is valued 70 times the British pound and people who cannot speak Kannada are considered illiterates (and Westerners are visibly apologetic about the same). From this setting, the film regresses back to the current year 2010 where India is beset with problems of corruption, red-tapism, pollution and unemployment. Political satire is played out by using sounds of horses and donkeys when ministers appear on screen, which represents the political horse trading witnessed in recent times in the state of Karnataka. Scenes of raping Indira and the auctioning process of an entire Indian state are interspersed to draw a parallel between the two. The film finds a climax back in 2030 where a foreigner asks an Indian as to who was responsible for all the good changes in India, and the film ends abruptly again with the index finger pointing at the audience, symbolizing that it's the people who are ultimately responsible for the course of a nation.
Super was made in two languages (Kannada & Telugu), but the Kannada version was released first. Producer Rockline Venkatesh announced that there is no difference and story remains same in both the versions. In Karnataka, the Kannada version was released at over 180 theaters on 3 December 2010. In Bengaluru Upendra's followers arranged a rally distributing sweets to the filmgoers on the first day. Fans who could not get hold of tickets reported black tickets being sold at exorbitant rates. The Telugu version of the film was released on 11 March 2011 in more than 95 screens across Andhra Pradesh to tremendous response. Fearing piracy, the production team postponed the international release to mid-2011 as there were chances of film getting leaked on the Internet during overseas release. Tamil film personality Rajinikanth flew to Bangalore to attend a private screening of the film arranged by the producer Rockline Venkatesh. The film saw a special screening in Infosys at its Mysore campus. It was also screened at the fourth Bengaluru International Film Festival (BIFF) in December 2011 as part of the 'political satire' category.
Kannada version of Super was released in the USA by Upendra's close friend Shivamurthy. The film was screened in USA's Chicago and Edison, New Jersey. It was scheduled for two shows in the town of Matthews, North Carolina on 23 and 24 April at Cinemark Theatres. In the city of Garland, Texas, it was screened in August 2011. The film was released in Australia in late August 2011, by a Kannada film distributor in Australia, Arunroopesh. It was screened in Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth.
In Karnataka, the Kannada version was released at over 180 theaters on 3 December 2010. In Bengaluru where Upendra's followers arranged a rally distributing sweets to the filmgoers on the first day. The film reported record earnings all over the state of Karnataka, especially in multiplexes, where record collections were reported, and the film broke all the previous opening box office records by collecting 25 million during its opening weekend. Fans who could not get hold of tickets reported black tickets being sold at exorbitant rates. It celebrated 100 days of run at over 30 centres, 125 days of run at its main centre and 175 days of run at PVR in Bangalore. The film grossed more than 500 million during its theatrical run and was one of the Highest grossing Kannada films of 2010.
After receiving good response for the audio track, Super was released in Andhra Pradesh in its Telugu version on 11 March 2011. Screened at more than 95 theaters across Andhra Pradesh, Super had an opening across the state. Upendra was quite happy about receiving extraordinary reviews from Telugu and English daily newspapers and websites. It received a widespread appreciation from Telugu newspapers like Eenadu and Vaartha which described Super as 'Upendra's best creative attempt' and was reported to be doing well in Andhra Pradesh. Reviews in the websites were also quite positive about the film. According to Upendra, the film's good reviews boosted the collections and that the film as a whole has been appreciated and the fresh concept of the story has been widely discussed in media. The distributors were quite happy about the response received throughout Andhra Pradesh. According to the box office analysts of Andhra Pradesh, the film surprisingly caught the attention of the B, C centre audience in a big way and scored good success. The film did good business in all theatres of Andhra Pradesh in spite of Cricket Season.
Critically, the film was widely well received in its Kannada version with the Times of India rating it 4/5 stars and describing that the film "succeeds in keeping the audience entertained with witty dialogs, neat script and lively narration, along with Upendra's antics, and, at times, his strange make-up." Deccan Herald termed the film as "something extraordinary" and praised Upendra's grand return to direction "by confusing and exciting the audience right from the movie’s inception, with a hotchpotch of his trademark films and roles" while downplaying the characterization of heroines.
Sify called it a "revolutionary concept" in story-telling which "will make people ponder over the contemporary events and see how the country is plundered by the greedy politicians and corporate community." DNA India also rated it 4/5 stars with a consensus that "Upendra still has all it takes to churn movies that are 'his style,' but contemporary in nature and he puts forth a message through this film as well, as he ruthlessly mocks the current political scenario." Other reviewers have largely appreciated the multifaceted film for its technicality, complex script dished out in an out-of-the-box narratorial technique while keeping the commercial aspect intact. Performances of all artists, especially Upendra's, has been another highlighted feature of the film.
In 2011, Rajinikanth attended a private screening of Super arranged by the producer Rockline Venkatesh. "It all started a couple of months ago when I met Rajini sir and told him about the film I was going to produce with Uppi as director. When he heard the story of the film, he was very happy. And when the film released, the Tamil Superstar enquired about its performance at the box office. When he learnt that it was a hit, he was thrilled and asked me to hold a screening for him, too," said Rockline, at the special premiere in Renukamba Mini Theatre, Bangalore.[this quote needs a citation] Rajinikanth watched the film along with Upendra, Rockline Venktesh, Ashok Kheny (managing director of Nandi Infrastructure Corridor Enterprises), and a couple of friends. Once outside the auditorium, the usually reticent actor spoke to a huge crowd of media-men who were gathered outside. "Upendra is a great actor and director. There is hardly anyone in Indian Cinema, who would think like him. Only he can think like that. I like watching Upendra's films and this was no exception. Super is a totally different and a new kind of movie. I would request him to continue to direct films. We need more films of this kind which are thought-provoking and also well-made. It's amazing that a film of this scale has been made in Kannada," said Rajini in fluent Kannada. "If I get an opportunity and an impressive script, I'd like to act in an Upendra film in the future," said Rajini.
The film saw a special screening in Infosys at its Mysore campus where thousands of employees, which included non-Kannadigas, watched the film and enjoyed its innovative presentation and its inherent message about corruption making an impact in erasing the benefits of the country's developmental activities. It was also screened at the fourth Bengaluru International Film Festival (BIFF) in December 2011 as part of the 'political satire' category.
|Soundtrack album by V. Harikrishna|
|Released||19 November 2010|
The Super soundtrack album rights was acquired by Madhu Bangarappa of Akash Audio for a record price of 12.5 million. Composed by V Harikrishna, the album has five songs and Upendra has penned lyrics for three and remaining two have been written by Yograj Bhat and V Manohar. It was officially released on 19 November at Leela Palace by Puneet Rajkumar and Raghavendra Rajkumar.
Pirated copies of the album were available online within hours after the release, and a team was formed by the production unit to fight audio piracy. This resulted in some Kannada music websites being brought down permanently.
|1||Kaayi Kaayi Uppinakaayi||Kunal Ganjawala||Upendra|
|2||Sikkapatte Ishtapatte||Upendra||Yograj Bhat|
|3||Come on Come on||Rahul Nambiar||V. Manohar|
|4||Yeri Mele Yeri||SPB, Shamitha Malnad, Upendra||Upendra|
|5||Look at the Style||Naveen Madhav||Upendra|
- Udaya Film Award for Best Screenplay
- Suvarna Film Awards 2011 - Favorite Film Award
- Suvarna Film Awards 2011 - Favorite Director Award
- ‘Super’ going super!. Indiaglitz.com (5 January 2011).
- Upendra promises treat for Tamil, Telugu, Kannada fans. Indiatalkies.com (1 March 2010).
- Upendra untitled film out on 11th in Telugu. Indiaglitz.com (5 March 2011).
- Super: A revolutionary concept. Sify.com.
- Super Muhurtha. Oneindia. (8 February 2010).
- 'Super' 100 it is Super Time. Supergoodmovies.com (13 March 2011).
- Upendra Kannada Film Super Box Office Report, Collections. Cinemagupshup.com.
-  Upendra returns to direction after a gap of 10 years with this film. The film got released yesterday, and is declared a superhit.
- 'People should title my film' - Upendra. Deccan Herald.
- Chitraloka Super info
- Nayantara's Kannada debut. Ibnlive.in.com (31 March 2010).
- Upendra says, "I'm not at all different director.". Oneindia. (3 December 2010).
- ‘I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to direct’ - Upendra. Deccan Herald.
- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi#Salt Satyagraha (Salt March) Gandhi had a clash with Subhas Bose, who had been elected president in 1938. Their main points of contention were Bose's lack of commitment to democracy, and lack of faith in non-violence.
- The rise of the Reddy brothers. Ndtv.com (23 March 2010).
- Hindu - Loot in Bellary. Flonnet.com.
-  Uppi has made the movie Super that is named after hand symbol completely a different film and that different trick starts right from the displaying title cards, which has never been attempted by anyone in Indian cinema.
- Upendra's Super movie review and audience response. Oneindia. (7 December 2010).
- Futuristic Pickle! - Bellitere.com
- Lokayukta begins preliminary probe into horse-trading charge in Karnataka. The Hindu. (3 November 2010).
- "Hero announces the rape of Nayantara". Gulte.
- Upendra's Super rakes in Rs. 2.5 cr at Box Office. Oneindia. (6 December 2010).
- Rockline Venkatesh overwhelmed by Super success. Oneindia. (14 December 2010).
- Upendra's Super to be screened at 4th Bengaluru International Film Festival. Oneindia. (12 December 2011).
- Super To USA. Chitraloka.com.
- Super at Cinemark Theatres - Matthews, NC. Cinemark.com.
- Walnut Theaters, Garland, Texas
- Super-duper opening for Upendra film. The Hindu (4 December 2010).
- Super Hit In Multiplexes
- Upendra’s Super draws huge crowds to theatres on Day 1. Daily News and Analysis.
- Telugu version of Super on March 11. Sify (3 March 2011).
- 'ಸೂಪರ್' ಸೂಪರ್ ಎನ್ನುತ್ತಿದೆ ಟಾಲಿವುಡ್!. Kannada.webdunia.com.
- Upendra happy with Telugu reviews. Sify.com (16 March 2011).
- 'Tollywood 2011': A Round Up On Hits And Flops. Greatandhra.com (19 December 2011).
- [dead link]
- Super movie review - Times of India. The Times of India.
- Super movie review. Deccan Herald.
- DNA India 'Super' review - Upendra is back!. Daily News and Analysis.
- Super (Hand Symbol) - movie review. Oneindia. (3 December 2010).
- Upendra is super!. Rediff.com (3 December 2010).
- Upendra excels as actor and director in ‘Super’. Indiatalkies.com (4 December 2010).
- I like watching Upendra's films: Rajinikanth - Times Of India. The Times of India. (30 January 2011).
- Rajinikanth describes Upendra's Super as different film - Oneindia Entertainment. Oneindia. (29 January 2011).
- Super screened in Infosys Campus. Sify.com (1 February 2011).
- Super audio album rights. Oneindia. (8 November 2010).
- Puneet, Raghanna launch Uppi's Super music. Oneindia. (22 November 2010).
- Super Producers plan squads to fight audio piracy[dead link]
- Kannada songs site shuts down[dead link]
- Super at the Internet Movie Database
- SUPER Kannada Movie Songs
- Official website
- Super Teaser on YouTube
- Super photo gallery