Super Collider (song)
|Single by Megadeth|
|from the album Super Collider|
|Released||April 23, 2013|
|Recorded||December 2012-March 2013|
|Genre||Hard rock, heavy metal|
|Label||Tradecraft, via Universal|
|Megadeth singles chronology|
"Super Collider" is a single by the American heavy metal band Megadeth, and the title track from Megadeth's 14th studio album Super Collider. It premiered exclusively on the Full Metal Jackie radio show, and was released on April 23, 2013 on iTunes.
According to Dave Mustaine, the song drew some inspiration from the search for the Higgs boson at CERN and particle colliders, but is mostly about hanging out and taking the proverbial high road until the end of the world when "the world explodes like a super collider." Mustaine also noted that the song has "probably more of a simple chord structure but it's a really big sounding song".
"Super Collider" has been described as having a more mainstream radio-oriented rock sound.
Graham Hartmann of Loudwire commented positively on the soloing and the overall sound, but noted that the song has a distinct radio-oriented feel that contrasts with the band's trademark sound.
A music video was filmed for the song on May 10, 2013, and premiered on July 4. The video features model, actress, singer and songwriter Hunter Elizabeth in the lead role, who described the video as "about a high-school couple still loving each other after all the years after graduation, and at the 10-year reunion, both characters find themselves successful (a model and a mathematician) and still very in love.". The video features all four band members also acting in various roles.
Elysian Fields High School, the setting of the video, is a reference to the track "Elysian Fields" from the band's 1994 album Youthanasia.
- Dave Mustaine – Vocals, lead guitar, rhythm guitar
- Chris Broderick – Lead guitar
- David Ellefson – Bass guitar
- Shawn Drover – Drums and percussion
- "Shockwaves podcast, episode 64 (featuring an interview with Dave Mustaine)". Hardradio.com. Retrieved 27 February 2013.
- Full Metal Jackie. "Megadeth's Dave Mustaine On Upcoming Album 'Super Collider', Gigantour 2013 + More". Loudwire.com. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- Hartmann, Graham. "Megadeth Unleash Title Track from Upcoming Album 'Super Collider'". Loudwire.com. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- Elizabeth, Hunter. "Super Collider Video Shoot 5.10.13". Facebook.com. Retrieved 4 July 2013.