Super Robot Wars Alpha
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2012)|
|Super Robot Wars Alpha|
|Release date(s)||Original Release
|Genre(s)||Tactical role-playing game|
Super Robot Wars Alpha (スーパーロボット大戦α Sūpā Robotto Taisen Arufa?), is part of the Super Robot Wars franchise, and was published for the PlayStation by Banpresto in 2000. Super Robot Wars Alpha is the initial game of the Alpha series, which spans the PlayStation and the PlayStation 2 platforms.
Chronologically, Super Robot Wars Alpha is directly followed by Super Robot Wars Alpha Gaiden. The series continues on the PlayStation 2 with the 2nd Super Robot Wars Alpha and concludes with the 3rd Super Robot Wars Alpha: To the End of the Galaxy. Super Robot Wars Alpha is the first Super Robot Wars to feature fully animated attacks. Super Robot Wars Alpha introduces the "Skill Point" (localized as "Battle Mastery") system, where decisions made in and out of battle can affect the game's difficulty and the player's chances of receiving and unlocking more powerful units and items.
In the year 179 of the New Western Calendar, the One Year War breaks out between the Earth Federation and the Principality of Zeon, but is halted when an object crashes to Earth, landing on South Atalia Island. An investigative team from the Extra-Over Technological Investigative Institute discovers the object is an alien battleship with highly advanced technology. Despite the warnings of Dr. Bian Zoldark, the Federation hides the evidence of intelligent, extraterrestrial life, and uses the time to increase their military power. Bian founds the Divine Crusaders to utilize the Extra-Over Technology found on the ship to devise weapons capable of protecting the Earth from alien forces, should the planet become embroiled in a conflict.
During this time, economic troubles caused by the Federation's buildup sees the rise of many anti-Federation movements, such as the Neo-Zeon, who had retreated to the asteroid Axis. In response, the Federation establishes special forces units, such as the Titans and OZ. Other forces, such as the Demon Empire (from Brave Raideen) and Dr. Hell also threaten the Earth, but are pushed back by the teams of Mazinger Z, Getter Robo, and Raideen.
In the year 186, the Excelion battleship (from Gunbuster) battle a force of STMCs (Space Terrible Monster Crowd) when they are suddenly attacked by another alien fleet, known as the Aerogaters...
Super Robot Wars Alpha allows the player to create their own character, giving them a name and birthdate, and selecting from 8 characters: four male and four female, The player then chooses another template and name for the character's significant other, as well as one of four personalities: "cool and nihilistic", "shy", "weird" or "hot-blooded", to apply a voice during combat. In the Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation series, these templates for the protagonist and his or her significant other becomes the basis for the following characters:
- Kusuha Mizuha (VA: Mikako Takahashi) —considered the canonical pilot of the Grungust Type-2 and RyuKoOh. Adopts the "shy" female archetype in Original Generation.
- Brooklyn "Bullet" Luckfield (VA: Tomokazu Sugita) —considered the canonical pilot of the Huckebein MK II and KoRyuOh. The "hot-blooded" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Ryoto Hikawa (VA: Yumiko Kobayashi) —considered the canonical pilot of the Huckebein MK III. Takes the "shy" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Rio Mei Long (VA: Rio Natsuki) —considered the canonical pilot of the AM Gunner. Carries the "hot-blooded" female archetype in Original Generation.
- Tasuku Shinguji (VA: Kappei Yamaguchi) —Adopts the "weird" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Leona Garstein (VA: Yui Sakakibara) —The "cool and nihilistic" female archetype in Original Generation.
- Yuuki "Yuu" Jaggar (VA: Mitsuaki Madono) —Takes the "cool and nihilistic" male archetype in Original Generation.
- Ricarla "Carla" Borgnine (VA: Rica Matsumoto) —Carries the "weird" female archetype in Original Generation.
Other original characters appearing in the game include the following:
- SRX Team
- Levi Tolar (VA: Ai Orikasa)
- Masaki Andoh (VA: Hikaru Midorikawa)
- Lune Zoldark (VA: Narumi Hidaka)
- Ring Mao
- Irmgult Kazahara (VA: Kenyuu Horiuchi)
- Aura Battler Dunbine
- Banpresto Originals (not a TV or movie series)
- Brave Raideen
- Dancouga – Super Beast Machine God
- Getter Robo
- Giant Robo
- Universal Century
- Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
- Invincible Steel Man Daitarn 3
- Macross (Debut)
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- The End of Evangelion (Debut)
- Robot Romance Trilogy:
Super Robot Wars Alpha for Dreamcast
|Super Robot Wars Alpha for Dreamcast|
|Genre(s)||Tactical role-playing game|
Super Robot Wars Alpha for Dreamcast (スーパーロボット大戦α for Dreamcast Sūpā Robotto Taisen Arufa for Dreamcast?), is an enhanced remake of the original Super Robot Wars Alpha that features 3D battle animations, in contrast with the PlayStation version's 2D sprites. The game has an increased difficulty on many stages and includes a new boss character.
A new addition for the Dreamcast game is the inclusion of G-Breaker, a Super Robot from Bandai's Sunrise Eiyuutan video game. This marks the first time a Super Robot Wars game featured a mecha from a game produced by a different company.
- プレイステーション - スーパーロボット大戦α. Weekly Famitsu. No.915 Pt.2. Pg.24. 30 June 2006.
- ドリームキャスト - スーパーロボット大戦α for Dreamcast. Weekly Famitsu. No.915 Pt.2. Pg.54. 30 June 2006.