Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi
|Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi|
North American SNES boxart
|Genre(s)||Run and gun|
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi is a run and gun released for the SNES in North America on June 22, 1994, Europe on March 30, 1995 and in Japan on June 23, 1995. It is the third and final game in the Super Star Wars trilogy and is based on the 1983 film Return of the Jedi. There is also a simplified version for the Nintendo Game Boy and Sega Game Gear portable systems. The game was re-released on the Virtual Console in North America on September 7, 2009 and in PAL regions on October 16, 2009, alongside the other games in the Super Star Wars series.
Plot and gameplay
Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi follows closely the standard set by the previous two Super Star Wars games, with the return of selectable characters (on specific levels), multiple playable characters and Mode 7 quasi-3D vehicle sequences. The controls are identical to the second game, and this installment also includes its predecessor's password save option. It loosely follows the plot of Return of the Jedi, although some of the levels aren't seen in the film at all, such as Luke Skywalker having to fight through the Death Star to get to Emperor Palpatine. In addition to the standard Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Chewbacca, new playable characters include Princess Leia Organa and Wicket the Ewok.
Bosses include the Jabba the Hutt's Palace door droid, the Rancor beast, Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. Vehicle sequences include the Endor speeder bike chase, and a cruise in the Millennium Falcon. Luke Skywalker no longer has nine Force powers to work with but five and it is easier for him to "recharge" his abilities. He also cannot use any variation of the blaster in this game.
On release, GamePro gave the Super NES version a mostly negative review. Though they praised the musical score, they criticized the game for frustrating controls, overly easy bosses, and particularly the level designs, which they said are repetitious and mostly feel like retreads of level designs from the two previous games in the series. Famicom Tsūshin scored it a 23 out of 40.
- "Composer information for Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi". SNES Music. Retrieved 2012-07-05.
- "From Faraway Galaxies to the Family Room, Start Fall on a Fun-Filled Foot". Nintendo of America. 2009-09-07. Retrieved 2009-12-14.
- "ProReview: Super Return of the Jedi". GamePro (65) (IDG). December 1994. pp. 122–123.
- NEW GAMES CROSS REVIEW: スーパー・スターウォーズ/ジェダイの復讐. Weekly Famicom Tsūshin. No.341. Pg.30. 30 June 1995.
- "Electronic Gaming Monthly's Buyer's Guide". 1995.
- "Electronic Gaming Monthly's Buyer's Guide". 1996.
- Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi at the Internet Movie Database
- Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi on Wookieepedia: a Star Wars wiki
- Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi at GameFAQs
- Super Star Wars: Return of the Jedi at MobyGames