||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Angel investor. (Discuss) Proposed since November 2013.|
Super angel (or "super-angel") investors are a group of serial investors in early stage ventures in Silicon Valley, California and other technology centers who are particularly sophisticated, insightful, or well-connected in the startup business community.
Super angels share some characteristics of traditional angel investors, and venture capitalists, and have been described as a hybrid of the two models. Unlike traditional angels investors, they are typically professionals for whom investing is their primary occupation.
Some common features of super angels include:
- Creating a professionally managed investment fund
- Serial investing (investing in numerous startup companies)
- Investing at a seed round in startup companies
- Funding rounds in the (approximate) range of $50,000 to several million dollars, larger than typical "friends and family" rounds but smaller than most venture rounds
- Taking an active role in portfolio companies
- Raising money from general partners and other principals, without passive investors in the fund
- Fund principals who are experienced entrepreneurs
List of investors described as super angels
|Name of fund||Key people||Portfolio companies|
|Scott Banister, Cyan Banister||PayPal, Facebook, Uber, Zappos, Space Exploration Technologies|
|Felicis Ventures||Aydin Senkut||Meraki, Mint.com|
|500 Startups||Dave McClure||SlideShare, CrowdFlower, Recurly, Udemy|
|Floodgate||Mike Maples Jr., Ann Miura-Ko||Chegg, Dasient, Digg, Smule, Twitter|
|Founders Collective||Bill Trenchard, Caterina Fake, Chris Dixon, David Frankel, Eric Paley, Mark Gerson, Micah Rosenbloom, Zach Klein||Minyanville Media|
|Founders Co-op||Andy Sack, Chris DeVore|
|Greylock Partners||Reid Hoffman||LinkedIn, Friendster, Zynga, Flickr, Kongregate, Ping.fm, Tagged, Nanosolar, Knewton,|
|Harrison Metal||Michael Dearing, Erik Rannala||AdMob, Lumosity, Aardvark|
|IA Ventures||Roger Ehrenberg, Brad Gillespie||Recorded Future|
|K9 Ventures||Manu Kumar||CrowdFlower|
|Lerer Media Ventures||Kenneth Lerer, Ben Lerer||gdgt|
|Lowercase Capital||Chris Sacca||Twitter, bit.ly, Auctomatic|
|Shervin Pishevar||TaskRabbit, Cherry, Postmates, Klout, Voxer, Aardvark, BlackJet, Dollar Shave Club, Cherry, BranchOut (advisor), Talent House, Gowalla, Milo.com, Milk, Rapportive, LikeALittle, Qwiki, Votizen, Yobongo, SpruceMedia, Medialets, Solve Media|
|Keith Rabois||Xoom, Vendio, LinkedIn, yelp.com, YouTube, Alter-G, ThinkCash, Geni.com, Yammer, Slide.com, FanIQ, Handipoints, Decorati, TokBox, TownHog, Milo.com, eventbrite, Counsyl, Circle of Moms, Airbnb, Palantir Technologies, Apture, Sococo, SkyBox Technologies, SkyGrid, Scoopler, Fqix, Treehouse, Specialty's Café & Bakery, Crave (blog), Movity, Homeboodle, Swipely, Miso (online service), MusicLab, GoGoBot, Qwiki, Hitpost, TopGuest, ZimRide, Wavii, Udemy, The Fridge (social network), Indinero, FutureAdvisor, OhLife, Formative Labs, Votizen, Causes, Square (application)|
|SofTech VC||Jeff Clavier||Tapulous, RapLeaf,|
|SV Angel||Ron Conway, David Lee, Mike Ghaffary, Brian Pokorny (former)||Google, Ze Frank, AppNexus, Ask Jeeves, Aster Data Systems, Attributor, Blippy, Bring Light, BuzzFeed, CastTV, Digg, Foursquare, Kaboodle, Knewton, MerchantCircle, Mint.com, PayPal, PBwiki, ScanScout, Seesmic, Square, Swipely, Twitter, Weebly, Zooomr|
|The Founders Fund||Peter Thiel, Sean Parker, Ken Howery, Robert May[disambiguation needed], Luke Nosek||Gowalla, Causes, Collaborative Drug Discovery, Clickable, Facebook, Friendster, Geni.com, Ironport, Mint.com, OLX, Palantir Technologies, Pathway Genomics, Powerset, Quantcast, Rapleaf, Raptr, Slide.com, SmartDrive, SpaceX, Spotify, Yammer, YouNoodle|
|Thrive Capital||Joshua Kushner||co-founder of Vostu|
|Social Leverage||Howard Lindzon||TweetDeck, bit.ly|
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Who Are The Super Angels? A Comprehensive Guide". Business Insider.
- Farhad Manjoo (February 2011). "How "Super Angel" Investors Are Reinventing the Startup Economy". Fast Company.
- Pui-Wing Tam and Spencer E. Ante (August 16, 2010). "'Super Angels' Alight". Wall Street Journal.
- Ingram, Mathew (October 7, 2010). "Fred Wilson on AngelGate and Where the Web Is Going". GigaOM.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Felicis Ventures". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Dave McClure". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Floodgate". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Founder Collective". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Founders Co-op". Business Insider.
- Ricadela, Aaron (April 2, 2007). "VCs Aim to Out-Angel the Angels". Business Week.
- Weston, Julien (September 28, 2010). "Hoffman & Greylock launch $20m Greylock Discovery Fund". Wired.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Harrison Metal". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "IA Ventures". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "K9 Ventures". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Lerer Ventures". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Lowercase Capital". Business Insider.
- Rusli, Evelyn M. "Moving Into Social Web, Menlo Ventures Adds Partner". June 13, 2011. New York Times. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Shevin Pishevar". 2013. CrunchBase. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- Carlson, Nicholas (August 18, 2010). "Secret Silicon Valley Super Angel Keith Rabois Explains His Startup Portfolio". Business Insider.
- Destin, Fred (August 6, 2010). "Super Angels, Lean VCs, Proto-Incubators, Whatever.". Fast Company.
- Tomio Geron (October 18, 2010). "Ron Conway’s Big Deals: How He Found Google And Facebook". Wall Street Journal.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Thrive Capital". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Social Leverage". Business Insider.