||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Angel investor. (Discuss) Proposed since November 2013.|
Super angel investor (or "super-angel") is a term sometimes used to describe a group of serial investors in early stage ventures who are perceived to be particularly sophisticated, insightful, or well-connected in the startup business community, particularly with respect to technology companies in Silicon Valley, California and other technology centers.
There is no universally recognized set of criteria for distinguishing between 'super angels', traditional angel investors, and venture capitalists. Some common features that have been proposed include:
- Creating a professionally managed investment fund
- Serial investing (investing in numerous startup companies)
- Investing at a seed round in startup companies
- Funding rounds in the (rough) range of $50,000 to several million dollars, larger than typical "friends and family" rounds but smaller than most venture rounds
- Taking an active role in portfolio companies
- Raising money from general partners and other principals, without passive investors in the fund
- Fund principals who are experienced entrepreneurs
Partial list of investors who might be considered 'super angels'
|Name of fund||Key people||Portfolio companies|
|Floodgate||Mike Maples Jr., Ann Miura-Ko||Chegg, Dasient, Digg, Smule, Twitter|
|Felicis Ventures||Aydin Senkut||Meraki, Mint.com|
|500 Startups||Dave McClure||SlideShare, CrowdFlower, Recurly, Udemy|
|Founders Collective||Bill Trenchard, Caterina Fake, Chris Dixon, David Frankel, Eric Paley, Mark Gerson, Micah Rosenbloom, Zach Klein||Minyanville Media|
|SofTech VC||Jeff Clavier||Tapulous, RapLeaf,|
|SV Angel||Ron Conway, David Lee, Mike Ghaffary, Brian Pokorny (former)||Google, Ze Frank, AppNexus, Ask Jeeves, Aster Data Systems, Attributor, Blippy, Bring Light, BuzzFeed, CastTV, Digg, Foursquare, Kaboodle, Knewton, MerchantCircle, Mint.com, PayPal, PBwiki, ScanScout, Seesmic, Square, Swipely, Twitter, Weebly, Zooomr|
|Greylock Partners||Reid Hoffman||LinkedIn, Friendster, Zynga, Flickr, Kongregate, Ping.fm, Tagged, Nanosolar, Knewton,|
|Founders Co-op||Andy Sack, Chris DeVore|
|Thrive Capital||Joshua Kushner||co-founder of Vostu|
|The Founders Fund||Peter Thiel, Sean Parker, Ken Howery, Robert May[disambiguation needed], Luke Nosek||Gowalla, Causes, Collaborative Drug Discovery, Clickable, Facebook, Friendster, Geni.com, Ironport, Mint.com, OLX, Palantir Technologies, Pathway Genomics, Powerset, Quantcast, Rapleaf, Raptr, Slide.com, SmartDrive, SpaceX, Spotify, Yammer, YouNoodle|
|Harrison Metal||Michael Dearing, Erik Rannala||AdMob, Lumosity, Aardvark|
|Keith Rabois||Xoom, Vendio, LinkedIn, yelp.com, YouTube, Alter-G, ThinkCash, Geni.com, Yammer, Slide.com, FanIQ, Handipoints, Decorati, TokBox, TownHog, Milo.com, eventbrite, Counsyl, Circle of Moms, Airbnb, Palantir Technologies, Apture, Sococo, SkyBox Technologies, SkyGrid, Scoopler, Fqix, Treehouse, Specialty's Café & Bakery, Crave (blog), Movity, Homeboodle, Swipely, Miso (online service), MusicLab, GoGoBot, Qwiki, Hitpost, TopGuest, ZimRide, Wavii, Udemy, The Fridge (social network), Indinero, FutureAdvisor, OhLife, Formative Labs, Votizen, Causes, Square (application)|
|IA Ventures||Roger Ehrenberg, Brad Gillespie||Recorded Future|
|K9 Ventures||Manu Kumar||CrowdFlower|
|Lerer Media Ventures||Kenneth Lerer, Ben Lerer||gdgt|
|August Capital Partners||Sameer Narula,||Etable.in, Rent-a-Keg.com|
|Lowercase Capital||Chris Sacca||Twitter, bit.ly, Auctomatic|
|Social Leverage||Howard Lindzon||TweetDeck, bit.ly,|
|Scott Banister, Cyan Banister||PayPal, Facebook, Uber, Zappos, Space Exploration Technologies|
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Who Are The Super Angels? A Comprehensive Guide". Business Insider.
- Ingram, Mathew (October 7, 2010). "Fred Wilson on AngelGate and Where the Web Is Going". GigaOM.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Floodgate". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Felicis Ventures". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Dave McClure". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Founder Collective". Business Insider.
- Destin, Fred (August 6, 2010). "Super Angels, Lean VCs, Proto-Incubators, Whatever.". Fast Company.
- Tomio Geron (October 18, 2010). "Ron Conway’s Big Deals: How He Found Google And Facebook". Wall Street Journal.
- Ricadela, Aaron (April 2, 2007). "VCs Aim to Out-Angel the Angels". Business Week.
- Weston, Julien (September 28, 2010). "Hoffman & Greylock launch $20m Greylock Discovery Fund". Wired.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Founders Co-op". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Thrive Capital". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Harrison Metal". Business Insider.
- Carlson, Nicholas (August 18, 2010). "Secret Silicon Valley Super Angel Keith Rabois Explains His Startup Portfolio". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "IA Ventures". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "K9 Ventures". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Lerer Ventures". Business Insider.
- Chanchani, Madhav (December 6, 2011). "August Capital Partners". VC Circle.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Lowercase Capital". Business Insider.
- Saint, Nick (October 4, 2010). "Social Leverage". Business Insider.